Crash data recovery $$$?

Can anyone give me a rough idea what it should cost to try to have data
recovered from a crashed 60 GB Western Digital disk?
8 answers Last reply
More about crash data recovery

    "CapeGuy" <dev@nughl.com> wrote:

    >Can anyone give me a rough idea what it should cost to try to have data
    >recovered from a crashed 60 GB Western Digital disk?

    I don't know of any specific prices, but I suspect the cost is not cheap. I
    guess it depends on how important the data is, and maybe how badly the drive is
    damaged.

    I can only think of one company I can recall off the top of my head, called
    DriveSavers. http://www.drivesavers.com

    I didn't see any prices on the website, but it says you can call, fax, or e-mail
    them for a free estimate.

    I'm sure there are other companies out there as well.

    Good luck,
    Jeff

    Define crash... depending on what you mean by crash... I've heard many
    customers describe a software issue as a harddrive crash... if it's
    making a metallic sound... clicking, knocking, etc, I would say
    costly... if it's not... and it turns out to be mere software... I'll
    make a retrievable attempt for you...

    Depening on what's needed, and on how much data there is, figure on
    $3,000-5,000US.

    "RazeNruin" <myjunkemails@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Define crash... depending on what you mean by crash... I've heard many
    > customers describe a software issue as a harddrive crash... if it's
    > making a metallic sound... clicking, knocking, etc, I would say
    > costly... if it's not... and it turns out to be mere software... I'll
    > make a retrievable attempt for you...

    It sounds sort of like a loose exhaust pipe
    on the first car I owned - clank, clank, clank.
    It sure sounds like it's tearing itself up inside.
    OS message - massive hard disk failure.

    This my 2nd C disk failure in 2 years. I wonder
    if the Gateway power supply is the cause?

    Probably not the power supply. Just a cheaply manufactured hard drive. What
    brand is it? What was the brand of the previous failed drive? ... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:44:23 GMT, "CapeGuy" <dev@nughl.com> wrote:

    >"RazeNruin" <myjunkemails@charter.net> wrote in message
    >> Define crash... depending on what you mean by crash... I've heard many
    >> customers describe a software issue as a harddrive crash... if it's
    >> making a metallic sound... clicking, knocking, etc, I would say
    >> costly... if it's not... and it turns out to be mere software... I'll
    >> make a retrievable attempt for you...
    >
    >It sounds sort of like a loose exhaust pipe
    >on the first car I owned - clank, clank, clank.
    >It sure sounds like it's tearing itself up inside.
    >OS message - massive hard disk failure.
    >
    >This my 2nd C disk failure in 2 years. I wonder
    >if the Gateway power supply is the cause?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Both were Western Digital.

    > Probably not the power supply. Just a cheaply manufactured hard drive.
    What
    > brand is it? What was the brand of the previous failed drive? ... Ben
    Myers

    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:44:23 GMT, "CapeGuy" <dev@nughl.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"RazeNruin" <myjunkemails@charter.net> wrote in message
    > >> Define crash... depending on what you mean by crash... I've heard many
    > >> customers describe a software issue as a harddrive crash... if it's
    > >> making a metallic sound... clicking, knocking, etc, I would say
    > >> costly... if it's not... and it turns out to be mere software... I'll
    > >> make a retrievable attempt for you...
    > >
    > >It sounds sort of like a loose exhaust pipe
    > >on the first car I owned - clank, clank, clank.
    > >It sure sounds like it's tearing itself up inside.
    > >OS message - massive hard disk failure.
    > >
    > >This my 2nd C disk failure in 2 years. I wonder
    > >if the Gateway power supply is the cause?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Correction - the most recent was/is a Quantum Fireball.

    > Both were Western Digital.
    >
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > > Probably not the power supply. Just a cheaply manufactured hard drive.
    > What
    > > brand is it? What was the brand of the previous failed drive? ... Ben
    > Myers
    > >
    > > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:44:23 GMT, "CapeGuy" <dev@nughl.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >"RazeNruin" <myjunkemails@charter.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > >It sounds sort of like a loose exhaust pipe
    > > >on the first car I owned - clank, clank, clank.
    > > >It sure sounds like it's tearing itself up inside.
    > > >OS message - massive hard disk failure.
    > > >
    > > >This my 2nd C disk failure in 2 years. I wonder
    > > >if the Gateway power supply is the cause?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Certain batches of hdd's have extremely higher failure rates than do
    others, and all major OEMs know this. They are unwilling to publicize
    this for several reasons:

    1. American product liaility law actually protects "three monkey
    policy" corporate behavior. This is as true of Quantum Fireball HDDs
    as of the dry vacuum pumps that killed Missouri Gov. Carnahan.

    2. They are afraid if they let out that some batches had higher
    failure rates, everyone with those drives would want replacements.
    They're right.

    3.They are afraid that if 2) happened people would sabotage or crank
    call for different hdd's or refuse the troublesome batch units as rpl
    parts.

    4. They figure that if they as major OEMs "spanked" a hdd vendor for
    a bad batch, they and other OEMs would jack the price in the future to
    that major OEM. This would, in an industry as cutthroat as the PC
    industry is with its "R.C.H." margins, make them uncompetitive.

    This is speculation on my part but it is backed up by observation.
    You, the consumer, want a cheap PC is the real bottom line. Bill puts
    it to Ted, and Ted puts it to the Gateway staff, and they put it to
    you, and you get the least amount of vaseline. Sorry to put it
    crudely, but that's how it works.

    If the PC Buyer had beeen willing to pay for the quality path-SCSI
    rather than IDE, UART instead of Winmodems, hefty power
    supplies,well-made keyboards, PostScript instead of PCL laser
    printers, and a cornucopia of other little cheaper-over-better
    choices, things might be different.

    Sorry to rant...

Gateway Data Recovery Western Digital Crash Computers