dang temp is gonna drive me nuts

laserbrain711

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2004
ok ive been having this ongoing saga with my cpu temp for a couple of weeks now. i got a stck fan and a heat sing alligned properly over my amd athlon 1.7 2100xp cpu. ive gor a big fan sucking air out of my psu and one blowing air in towards my cpu, cards etc, also in the back of my box. the box is damn small, i wanna get another. but for now, itll have to do. i took the cover off to see if it improved airflow....no good. im still getting approx 52-55c according to AIDA32 (a great little spec program). ok so get this. i run some games (ive never had a problem with games) and i go to desktop just to see what the temp is while running a game and its 90c!!! so i shut off my game of course. now guys, i play games like star wars galaxies, halo, UT2003 without any problem. why is my cpu giving me probs now and what else can i do to resolve this? i shouldnt need to replace my hsu, i mean they dont just go bad right? and that compound stuff doesnt just wear off the cpu does it? oh and one more thing. when i was starting to play everquest, my computer sounded like a plane taking off. not as loud but it seemed to be accelerating at an alarming rate
any suggestions?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by laserbrain711 on 01/30/04 11:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
....no good. im still getting approx 52-55c according to AIDA32 (a great little spec program).
You ought to try MBM, and perhaps even the ol' BIOS temps to be absolutly sure. Those idle temps might actually be fine if your CPU is a paly.

ok so get this. i run some games (ive never had a problem with games) and i go to desktop just to see what the temp is while running a game and its 90c!!!
Firstly, as above, make sure the temps are correct. 90c is really high, even with a running fan, temps should'nt go that high up. I suspect that your fan might occationally stop running. Try playing games for several sessions, with the covers off, to see if this is the case.

so i shut off my game of course. now guys, i play games like star wars galaxies, halo, UT2003 without any problem.
Problems aren't always apparent, but it could also just as well be an erroneous reading.

why is my cpu giving me probs now and what else can i do to resolve this?
It happens, especially since you say you just have stock cooling. You can solve this by getting a better HSF.

i shouldnt need to replace my hsu, i mean they dont just go bad right?
They can & do. I mean back in SWG beta, well I sorta tweaking the FPS limit a bit, and the next thing I know is that the temps went all the way to 90C. Reason why was because the fan just died, farking thing. I replaced it with better quality HSF, and have had no problems since.

and that compound stuff doesnt just wear off the cpu does it?
You mean goo dissapating? I don't think so, but I think it's ability to transfer heat effectively does lose it's effectiveness over time (don't quote me on that though).

oh and one more thing. when i was starting to play everquest, my computer sounded like a plane taking off. not as loud but it seemed to be accelerating at an alarming rate
any suggestions?
Most likely it's the GPU fan whinning. Try using some heavy doses of WD-40 on it & see if that lessens the noise, else you'll need to get a new fan for it.

-----
Do not spit.

laserbrain711

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2004
oh i forgot to mention. mbm keeps locking up on my system (stops responding) i dont think it supports my mobo as its not listed in config. and i can check the bios too?

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Oh, ok I don't think I can help with that then, nothing much on Google on that fer me. No choice but to accept AIDA's temps at this point.

Did you try the other advice about taking the covers off, & confirming that the fan is running while gaming?

-----
Do not spit.

laserbrain711

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2004
yeah i confirmed the fan was running during gaming, but i have ordered this off ebay 'Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12' i think i need a new heat sink. everything else seems to be in place.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Ok terrific, let us know how it all goes later.

If the temps are still that crazy, then I think you should just ignore it. Worry only when you start experiencing problems, like crashing, hanging, etc...

-----
Do not spit.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if your system is stable then dont bother i highly doubt that your system wouldnt lock up at 90c...

Try sisoft sandra for temps too...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

laserbrain711

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2004
oh sorry....
well i got some arctic silver 3 and reduced my idle temp from 55 to 40c. seems that when i was messing around with my mobo i moved the heat sink around a bit. so i took it off and saw that the old compound was all wore off

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Nevermind about my last comment, was a bit there & misread your post lol.

-----
Saay, you look really beautiful. Mind if I take a sniff of your butt-hole?