Installing Water cooling kit

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Im going to buy myself a waterchill L30 vga chipset and cpu cooling kit from asetek aswell as a chieftec dragon full tower to house it all. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the top of my case and mounting the radiator at the top with fans blowing through this hole. Does this sound like a feasible idea? How would i go about doing this? Any ideas on how i could fix the radiator to the top of the case?

[Insert witty comment here]

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
You can put the radiator anywhere you want. Pick the spot where its easiest to fit.

How would i go about doing this?
Drill a hole, and cut it bigger with a saw. You may also want to use a metal scissor.
Its not easy to make it look nice. I suggest you also get some kind of grill to cover the hole/edges.
Any ideas on how i could fix the radiator to the top of the case?
Er.. What about using some screws?

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Well I wanted to put the radiator at the top of the case so the heat isnt radiated back into the case. How difficult is it to cut through steel? Theres a tool on this website:
<A HREF="http://www.coolcasemods.com/customer/home.php" target="_new">http://www.coolcasemods.com/customer/home.php</A>
Which would do the job i need, is it really worth the money though?

Er.. What about using some screws?
well yes that was my intention, but im not sure what i would screw the screws into...i dont know if the fans have screw holes.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Forgive me if I'm wrong. But don't you intend to make the fan blow the heat out of the case? Why do you think the heat is radiated back into the case by not putting the radiator at the top?

Are you referring to the hole-saw? This can deffinitely do the job. But then I suggest you use a drill with variable speed. When the hole-saw cuts through it can momentarily get stuck. You may damage and bend the casing if you use to powerful a drill. Anyway, I wouldn't invest an awful lot of money in a tool I may use only a few times.

The radiator and fan must have some means to fix. Otherwise you will have a problem regardless of where you place it.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Both the sidepanels on the chieftech cases are removable, therefore the only practical place to put the radiator is either at the top of the case or somewhere inside the case (which would blow the hot air straight back into my system.
Yeh i was looking at the hole saw, its quite expensive but is the best way i can think of for cutting holes in my case without them looking completly crap.