Sign in with
Your question

Help removing heatsink?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 2, 2004 6:44:38 PM

I own a BFG FX5900NU and would like to remove the heatsink so I can use either the Zalman or Thermaltake heatpipe coolers. When I went to remove the stock heatsink I removed those little push pins and the heatsink would not come off. I believe there is some kind of thermal tape holding it on. How in the heck can I get that thing off of there??? There is no room to get a razor blade under there. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

More about : removing heatsink

February 3, 2004 12:07:37 AM

Try and see if you can work it in left-right motion till it breaks free. Be CAREFUL not to move anything else!Not the best way but it works on older modle cpu's with glued thermal tape heatsinks.
February 3, 2004 6:59:28 PM

Depending how the heatsink is bonded...

Get a hair drier and warm up the heatsink, the heat might make the adhesive of the tape goopy...or if a phase change material is being used it will melt it...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
February 3, 2004 9:41:58 PM

Hey! Thanks P111 Man! The hair dryer worked marvelously! It only took about 1 minute under low heat. I can not thank you enough. I now have a 5900nu flashed to 5950ultra with a TT heatpipe cooler with a Vantec Spectrum card fan right below that. Idle temps are 34 degrees and load is 60 degrees C. Take care.
!