Freezes with fast RAM @ DC - Need cooling for NB?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I have an Abit IS7-E, OCZ 2*512 PC4200 RAM, a P4 2.4C OC to 257 FSB (3.09GHZ) with Dual Channel or OC to 267 (3.2GHZ) FSB without DC.
When over 258 MHZ FSB With DC I get freezes when running SiSoft Sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark. Since it's not the memory holding me back (can work flawlessly at 534MHZ), not the CPU (stable at 3.2GHZ) I'm assuming it's the NB (because it crashes with DC and at a bandwidth test).
My question is there something I need to overvolt or do I need to replace the tiny NB fan and sink with something more substantial?
Any reccomendations for a replacement? Doesn't have to be passive and I can tolerate some noise.

POST is way overrated, the black screen and beeps should be enough for most people.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
You don't need a tiny fan lol, just for testing purposes you can plop an 80mm fan on top of your video card blowin on to your NB - if it helps, good, if not, you didn't waste your time. If you do need a fan, I'd suggest side-panel mounting a fan, a nice slow speed 120mm fan would give good airflow and low noise.

<b>and now for something completely different</b>
...<b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! I used to do that, stand a fan on the video card. In my situation it was to cool the ramsinks. Usually I only did it during benchmarking but once in a while I would forget about the fan. One day I accidently bumped the case. The fan fell over landing on top of the ramsinks and the fan flew out of the open case. Fortunately, there was no damage but I learned my lesson.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
lol i've gotten my fingers caught in it a few times working inside the case, though that's never happened lol

<b>and now for something completely different</b>
...<b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b>