P4 2.6C overclocking troubles continue...

The_Thing

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Well, i'm still fiddleing with my ocing(my system specs are on the P4 2.6C won't oc post i made earlier if you need them). There are several reasons I think i can't get the 1ghz fsb out of it. First off, my PS Antec True 380 isn't bad, but when i turn the Vcore up above 1.6 it starts fluxuating ranging from 1.586 to 1.68 v. That fluxuation i think would cause the cpu to make errors and freeze. Does anybody know what PS tom uses when he does his 4 and 5 GHz cpu's??? I also am thinking of watercoolin. But who makes good coolers?? I know tom said the Corsair Hydrocool is good, I think the swiftech ones would be too, but i haven't seen any benchmarks on them. It is possible that the CPU has just plain old reached it limit, but that doesn't seem likely at 3.12 ghz because they come at 3.2 from the factory, so the core should be capeable of it. Well, if anybody has any suggestions i'd appreciate it.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Your motherboard might actually be the culprit if the voltage is fluxuating...does a friend of yours have a i875 or 865pe that you could test?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're using an Asus motherboard, aren't you?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Crashman I don't know about Asus and fluxuation, I just know Asus loves to overvolt. I'm running at 1.675@250FSB, but in CPU-Z it seems to be always around 1.73.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.276G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 4x256 4000EL memory @ 252mhz 2.5-3-4-6 -XFX 5900 128meg 570/1040 -SB audigy -2x120G Seagate 7200.7 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Put some load on it, record the values, don't be surprised of it comes back with 1.63-1.73v under load changes.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
My Abit IS7-E varies a lot also, as much as getting 1.42Vcore when using the default 1.525 setting while under load.

POST is way overrated, the black screen and beeps should be enough for most people.

The_Thing

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Well, the farthest i've been able to get it up where P95 passes for at least an hour(i spot it after 1 hour and increase then run over night when i've found the max) to is 244 fsb with 1.625vcore. The ram volte is left at auto(OCZ DDR533 Dual). If i raise the Vcore above 1.625 then it just locks up after a few minutes. It is verry possible that that is just the limit oc this CPU, but that's not a verry high oc especially since they get all the way up to 3.2 ghz stock with the same core. Oh well, i guess Intel screwed me over.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ThE_ThInG on 02/05/04 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does it vary a lot in relation to line voltage (that is, the core voltage jumps a lot when the line voltage fluctates very little)?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I'm not so sure what line voltage means but if it's the 3.3, 5 and 12V then no, when under load only the core voltage varies.

POST is way overrated, the black screen and beeps should be enough for most people.