Motorolas dont use Verizon towers???

I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to the
salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
The he said this...
"I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
towers..."
WHAT?
Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
imagine anything like this being true..

--

Join the Poker action...with and EDGE !
Up to $600 added to your deposit !

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:53:03 -0700, "Poker" <webmaster@gotbonus.com>
    wrote:

    >I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    >I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to the
    >salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    >The he said this...
    >"I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    >towers..."
    >WHAT?
    >Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    >imagine anything like this being true..

    You need to tell any clerk who gives you information like that they
    should stay off drugs while they are working. The line he handed you
    is pure BS.

    Radio Shack is only good for SIMPLE stuff. If that.
    Like batteries and maybe a flashlight.
    Which might be useful in shining light up where the
    'sun never shines" - definitely the area where the Rat
    Shack drone's head was - up.

    "Poker" <webmaster@gotbonus.com> wrote in message
    >I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    > I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to
    > the
    > salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    > The he said this...
    > "I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    > towers..."
    > WHAT?
    > Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    > imagine anything like this being true..
    >
    > --
    >

    > Join the Poker action...with and EDGE !
    > Up to $600 added to your deposit !
    > www.gotbonus.com

    Ok, I figured it was just BS, but by chance I asked here...I knew I would
    get the truth.
    That being said I am sure there are varied opinions about the relative
    quality of moto vs.LG.
    Any facts that support or refute this( as it might pertain to reception, in
    the phoenix area even).

    --
    New Online Poker Players ! GotBonus?
    Deposit bonus code information for the top poker rooms on the internet.

    wrote:

    >I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    >I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to the
    >salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    >The he said this...
    >"I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    >towers..."
    >WHAT?
    >Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    >imagine anything like this being true..

    The problem is your were talking to a moron at Radio Shack. Not hard
    to do, since Tandy corporate policy dictates that each store must
    employ at least 3.

    Feel free to print this post out and let him read it (assuming he
    *can* read).

    Poker wrote:
    > I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    > I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to the
    > salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    > The he said this...
    > "I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    > towers..."
    > WHAT?
    > Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    > imagine anything like this being true..

    Consider where you got the information...

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:16:37 -0400, George <george@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Poker wrote:
    >> I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    >> I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to the
    >> salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    >> The he said this...
    >> "I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    >> towers..."
    >> WHAT?
    >> Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    >> imagine anything like this being true..
    >>
    >Consider where you got the information...

    How true. Back when Kyocera was still Qualcomm, I was looking in my
    local store for something else and the sales nerd starts in on me
    about signing up with them for cellular service. I told him no, I had
    already signed up directly with VZW and I was happy with my then
    QCP-820. The sales driod then makes the mother of all dumbass
    comments:

    "Oh, the 820 is a good phone. Radio Shack makes all of Qualcomm's
    phones."

    Joseph wrote:

    > You need to tell any clerk who gives you information like that they
    > should stay off drugs while they are working. The line he handed you
    > is pure BS.

    No drugs needed. It is just typical of RS, Best Buy and others. They
    hire a bunch of kids and pump them up with just enough hype to
    enthusiastically sell stuff and run lots of advertising claiming they
    are experts. If you happen to get a correct answer it is just random luck.

    Before you buy a phone at RS, make sure you understand their
    warranty. I had loads of trouble with a 7868 StarTac a few years back
    because Radio Shack bought the phones from Motorola w/o warranty and
    services them themselves. I had the phone back five times until I
    finally blew my top and they gave me a new one.

    I do not know if the situation has changed, but I'd definately check
    first.

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Hahahahahaha. Yeah, right.
    "Poker" <webmaster@gotbonus.com> wrote in message
    >I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    > I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to
    > the
    > salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    > The he said this...
    > "I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    > towers..."
    > WHAT?
    > Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    > imagine anything like this being true..
    >
    > --
    >

    > Join the Poker action...with and EDGE !
    > Up to $600 added to your deposit !
    > www.gotbonus.com

    You'll open a can of worms, there.

    Each brand has its fan club, as well as its detractors.

    Two family members have LG's and are very happy with them. Five family
    members have Motos, and are happy with them too. I just switched from a Moto
    v60s to a Kyocera kx1v. So far, although I have been somewhat of a Moto fan,
    the Kyo acts like a much better phone in terms of making and getting calls.
    Also my eyes aren't what they used to be, and the Kyo display is way better.

    I really wanted the Moto v65p, but they wouldn't sell it to me without the
    PTT plan. It would've been nice to have all my accessories fit the new
    phone, and I'm still getting used to the UI on the Kyo, but I like it a lot.

    Dean
    _______________________________________

    George <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:85KdnY5--e4NCD7fRVn-
    jw@adelphia.com:

    > Consider where you got the information...

    "Radio Shack....You've got questions? We've got SALESMEN!"

    He's got to be one of the stupidest ones you'll meet....(c;

    i work at best buy and i take offense to your comments. Best Buy actually
    trains their employees and they are very helpful. Although i work at the
    front lanes and have to ask people if they want a free magazine.
    "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    >

    >> You need to tell any clerk who gives you information like that they
    >> should stay off drugs while they are working. The line he handed you
    >> is pure BS.
    >>
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >>
    > No drugs needed. It is just typical of RS, Best Buy and others. They hire
    > a bunch of kids and pump them up with just enough hype to enthusiastically
    > sell stuff and run lots of advertising claiming they are experts. If you
    > happen to get a correct answer it is just random luck.

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:09:02 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
    <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:

    >i work at best buy and i take offense to your comments. Best Buy actually
    >trains their employees and they are very helpful. Although i work at the
    >front lanes and have to ask people if they want a free magazine.

    Oh yea, that "free magazine" training course.

    >"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Joseph wrote:
    >>

    >>> You need to tell any clerk who gives you information like that they
    >>> should stay off drugs while they are working. The line he handed you
    >>> is pure BS.
    >>>
    >>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >>>
    >> No drugs needed. It is just typical of RS, Best Buy and others. They hire
    >> a bunch of kids and pump them up with just enough hype to enthusiastically
    >> sell stuff and run lots of advertising claiming they are experts. If you
    >> happen to get a correct answer it is just random luck.

    "Poker" <webmaster@gotbonus.com> wrote in message
    > I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    > I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to
    the
    > salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    > The he said this...
    > "I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    > towers..."
    > WHAT?
    > Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    > imagine anything like this being true..

    My Motorola V265 runs off batteries. ;-D

    Get a 3W bag phone and have it run off the excess weight. hihi

    "Poker" <webmaster@gotbonus.com> wrote in message
    > by chance I asked here...I knew I would
    > get the truth.

    Quite the assumption on your part .. <--{ LOL }--->

    rring <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote in

    > Oh yea, that "free magazine" training course.

    I got thrown out because I was wearing a blue Best Buy shirt I found in a
    thrift shop. The store manager said someone might confuse me with an
    "associate".

    THAT offended ME!....(c;

    I'm too big for him to try to take it away from me....

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:10:06 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik"
    <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote:

    >You went to Radio Schlock...where the motto is "You have questions....we
    >HAVE batteries!!!!"

    I thought it was "You have questions? So do we!"

    Anybody here old enough to remember the Radio Shack Battery of the Month
    Club? RS would give you one free cheesy battery (non-alkaline) every month.
    The battery was worth about $0.10.

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:56:15 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com>
    wrote:

    >No, no! Once in a while BB's good for a loss leader CD spindle.....

    And they're the only place in town to find a 9 hour VHS tape. They
    used to carry 10 hour ones, but they seemed to have disappeared.

    <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote:

    >i work at best buy and i take offense to your comments. Best Buy actually
    >trains their employees and they are very helpful. Although i work at the
    >front lanes and have to ask people if they want a free magazine.

    That may well be true, *IF* you can find someone in the back to
    actually help. I've spent 30 minutes or more many, many times waiting
    for someome to help me with an item in the Greenville, SC store.
    Fortunately, most of the time I go in there, I know exactly what I'm
    looking for.

    But your front clerks and greeter have always been nice, and there's
    rarely long lines at the registers.;-)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:52:26 -0700, "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    >Anybody here old enough to remember the Radio Shack Battery of the Month
    >Club? RS would give you one free cheesy battery (non-alkaline) every month.
    >The battery was worth about $0.10.

    Yeah, that was back in the days when the stores had tube testers and
    you could buy sets of channel crystals to plug into your CB
    walkie-talkie.

    Poker wrote:
    > I stopped in a local RS this afternoon looking at the LG VX7000.
    > I have a T730 and a v60S, both of which are awful. I explained this to the
    > salesperson and he agreed that the Motos are trouble.
    > The he said this...
    > "I'll let you I on a little secret, the Motorola's do not run off Verizon
    > towers..."
    > WHAT?

    I'll let you in on another little secret: if the average RadioShack
    salesmoron actually HAD any real knowledge on the products they sell,
    they probably wouldn't be working at RadioShack.

    > Can any shed any light on what the heck he may be talking about? I cant
    > imagine anything like this being true..

    It's not. If it's a Verizon phone, then it will use Verizon cell sites
    whenever it can.

    You should have called the salesdroid on his stupidity. If the Motorola
    phones on Verizon do NOT use VZW cell sites, then whose DO they use?
    Nextel? T-Mobile? Then I'd like to see him explain how a CDMA handset
    manages to operate off GSM or iDEN cell sites.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    michael e dziatkowicz wrote:
    > i work at best buy and i take offense to your comments.

    No offense, but you should probably take more offense at your skill set
    and resulting paycheck, and work to better both.

    --

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Anybody here old enough to remember the Radio Shack Battery of the Month
    > Club? RS would give you one free cheesy battery (non-alkaline) every month.
    > The battery was worth about $0.10.

    Actually, they used to have a more recent-vintage battery club where you
    could get up to a dollar off alkaline batteries bought in bulk, AND a
    free pack of batteries after buying a number of packs over time. The
    alkaline batteries actually were/are pretty good there, and with the
    discount, very much worth the price. Unfortunately, it was like pulling
    teeth getting the sales droids to honor the discount, and many would
    feign ignorance. Quite frankly, the point of the club was to get people
    in the door... RadioShack would lose money on the batteries, but hope to
    score a sale with each visit on some other big-ticket item they'd try to
    hard-sell you on (and was invariably overpriced). If you just bought
    batteries, it pissed off the sales droids, because it cut into their
    commissions and time. ;)

    It's been a long time since I've set foot in a RadioShack, so I don't
    know if this program is still in effect. Probably not.

    --

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:42:05 -0400, JasonDEEJ <smtp@cox.net> wrote:

    >10 times out of 10 (yes, I mean
    >it), the customer is the dumb one and he thinks he is wayyyyy ahead of
    >the employee in terms of knowledge.

    You must not have been working the day I came in looking for an
    infrared LED and was told you don't sell them. Thirty seconds after
    shooing the sales driod away, I find it in the parts drawer. The look
    on his face when I laid it on the counter was priceless.

    Don't speak in hyperboles. Not *all* of RS's customers are idiots,
    just like not *all* of RS stores employ only idiots. But sadly, that
    said, it's not the same RS I grew up with.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:28:26 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
    <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

    >You must not have been working the day I came in looking for an
    >infrared LED and was told you don't sell them. Thirty seconds after
    >shooing the sales driod away, I find it in the parts drawer. The look
    >on his face when I laid it on the counter was priceless.
    >
    >Don't speak in hyperboles. Not *all* of RS's customers are idiots,
    >just like not *all* of RS stores employ only idiots. But sadly, that
    >said, it's not the same RS I grew up with.

    I'll agree with you there. Most associates know nothing of the parts
    drawer stuff because up until recently it was a 100 question test
    which covered completely USELESS knowledge (i.e: In what Sku category
    would you find a 10Kohm resistor?), took about 30-45 minutes of time
    to complete (time you could be selling stuff and POSSIBLY making
    commission), and aside from that they get no pay from parts drawer
    stuff. They have an incredibly high margin but it's so rare that
    anybody buys that stuff that they don't bother, and on top of that,
    it's only 7.5% commission, and they only see that money if the total
    amount of commission is greater than what they would make on min. wage
    hourly.

    WIIFM is the new motto...What's in it For Me. No longer is it TCF
    (think customers first), which has been preached for years. The only
    thing we get paid on is cell + dish network subs...and oddly enough RS
    doesn't pay us for those, VZW, SPCS, and E* do.

    I have an international phone (Motorola V66) and it gets the service
    from Mobal, who doesnt have towers, but allows you to use the towers of
    other companies. Kind of like you are always roaming. It's really
    expensive, about €1.50 a minute. I'm not sure about the price in US
    dollars. The only reason we have it is that it will work both in
    America and Europe. It seems to be the only phone on the market that
    does. I dont see why more companies dont offer this. Does anyone know
    of any other, cheaper way to get a phone that will work in both Europe
    and America? Preferably with SMS, but doesnt have to have it.

    I kinda like Radioshack, partly because, at least in my experiences the
    people working there usually know a lot about the stuff they sell. And
    I've never had any trouble with things that I buy there. Most of the
    stuff I buy there is audio equipment.

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:42:49 GMT, "Prilosec" <purple@nni.net> wrote:

    >although I'm sure you will find the occasional poor
    >employee.

    Occasional? It's more the rule rather than the exception. Sure,
    you'll find a few competent and knowledgable employees from time to
    time (and it varies widely by store), but my own personal experiences
    tell me that over the past many years, there has been a general
    dumbing down of their employees.

    Prilosec wrote:
    > What a jackass you are. RS is a decent chain with a lot of parts that are
    > hard to find anywhere else.

    Wrong. They USED to be hard to find. RadioShack was a relevant company
    back in, say, 1995, when online stores for all of these components
    didn't exist, they actually used to MAKE of the equipment they sold, and
    had a specific niche that wasn't served by other chains. Now, I never
    have to set foot in in a RadioShack store if I don't have to, and I
    thank the web for that.

    Now, RadioShack COULD have done a better job and trained their people
    better, perhaps paid better wages and done away with the commission
    model like most other electronics chains have, and maybe then they and
    their employees wouldn't have the stigma they've attracted. But
    instead, they've turned it into this horrid "fast food" model for
    electronics, only on a comission basis which makes it all the worse. If
    you have any doubts, have a look at your company's new Chief Operating
    Officer: Claire Babrowski, a former McDonalds' executive. Would you
    like fries with your police scanner, sir?

    But in a way, I like it better this way. It's now a foregone conclusion
    that the bottom-feeders in the retail job market work at RadioShack,
    leaving marginally better, actual human people who may actually have
    some competence working in the other stores that I now frequent in lieu
    of RadioShack.

    > They train their employees better than most
    > other retail stores,

    If that's true they sure don't RETAIN that training. Have you even READ
    my post? I cited specific esxamples and others have too, of clear and
    blatant incompetence and even outright illiteracy.

    > although I'm sure you will find the occasional poor
    > employee.

    I'm sure a well-to-do person will find a far better hobby than working
    at RadioShack, just like a person with any real skills at all will find
    a better paying job.

    > If your superiority caused you to leave in a huff and drive 10
    > miles to Best Buy,

    It wasn't my superiority. It was the sales droid's inability to READ,
    and his utter refusal to simply take my money and hand me the phone that
    I requested and that I could clearly see was on display, in stock and
    availabl. That's all I wanted! Instead, he threw this completely
    inhuman tantrum in which he asserted they did not and never did carry
    said item.

    > I'd say that Radio Shack employee did his store a service
    > by getting rid of you.

    Yes. If he keeps driving away paying customers, that store will close,
    and he will then have done a service to the community in which that
    store is located. And if everyone at RS is like him (and they often
    appear to be), then maybe they will all do us a favor and drive the
    chain into chapter 7.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Verizon Internet Service Providers