Having some odd crashing issues..

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
So yesterday I tried to play some Battlefield 3 with my brother, we hadn't played for a few weeks so there was of course the usual 3gb patch to download (rolling eyes..) anyway once that finished on both of our computers, I copied the Aftermath dlc from my pc to his laptop. From Battlefield 3/Updates/Xpack4 to same place on his. Which worked fine, verified everything with no issues. But when we tried playing a match, his bf3 crashed as soon as he hit Initializing, saying Battlefield 3 has stopped working. My computer also did the same thing but seemed to be map specific, his was all maps no matter what.

I spent almost all of today trying to fix so here is his laptop;
MacBook Pro
HD 6770M
Intel i7 4/8 core/thread 2.6GHz
8GB RAM 1333MHz
Windows 7 64-bit
The drivers are definitely out of date, he is running Catalyst 11.1 but that is the furthest you can update bootcamped windows on macs to. Whenever you start bf3 it says please update to 11.7 but has never really had problems with 11.1 before this last update. I for sure didn't have these crashing issues before the update.
So I tried everything I could think of to fix, full reinstall of gfx drivers, full reinstall of Battlefield 3 with various repair installs in there, reinstalled Origin, reinstalled Punkbuster, ran as administrator, tried offline and did single player (still ctd with bf3 has stopped working), installed .NET 4 (? suggestion from online), reinstalled C++ redist, reinstalled DirectX.
I also read somewhere online to remove an exception for bf3 from firewall and then re-allow it, tried this as well which fixed the crashing on my desktop but did nothing on the laptop.
Any suggestions or is it just screwed from the lack of driver support past 11.1??

P.S. I also have a MacBook Pro (mid-2010) with a GT 330M and dual core i7 2.7GHz on which I am running the latest 310.90 drivers and have had no issues since I did the firewall thing for bf3.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

It most definitely does work, I do it all the time. We both have premium so we both own the dlc, there are no problems there. I do the same thing everytime they drop a dlc, download it on the main desktop then copy it to ext drive and install to other desktops and laptops in the fam..

Anyway I think I figured it out, weird problem. He had a corrupted save file that was causing it to crash, I just tried logging into his account on my desktop and he uses cloud for origin, I dont, so when it started up it asked if I wanted to use local or cloud.
So I thought hmmm... and went onto his laptop; savedata was 1kb. savedata was 1.2mb on my desktop. (btw idk if u have bf3 but the savedata is just control settings and graphics settings) so I said use local data.
Works like a charm!

Thanks anyway though, as always!