URGENT HELP NEEDED for A7V600 & AMD 2600+

GAUCHO

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
Have a computer with an Asus A7V600 board and AMD Athlon XP 2600+ which should ideally run at 1.9 Ghz so I read. Yet it is being detected at only 1.15 Ghz. Have adjusted CPU Speed to Manual and set Frequency Multiple at 11.5 and Mhz at 166/33. On saving and exiting the computer hangs. During restart it goes directly to Bios and refuses to load Windows unless I return the CPU Speed to 1150. I even tried enabling the OVER VOLT setting and it initially loaded but crashed when Windows came on. I couldn't get it to run after that without resetting it to 1150 Mhz. Can anyone PLEASE give me step by step instructions on how to get my CPU to run at full speed? Should I return the OVER VOLT to default? Am not knowledgeable about this stuff. I just tried to follow what I read on another post. So please bear with me. Tried getting in touch with Asus support via e-mail and it's terrible. I hope someone here can help. Thanks alot.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
If it's refusing to start it could be a voltage issue. Whats Vcore set at?
1.65 should be around what it wants.
Or your BIOS might not be recognizing it, might need a newer BIOS version, but that board is pretty new, so you shouldn't.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, you're the one that bought a VIA chipset motherboard, you figure it out :smile:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

B_Man

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
The 2600 if 266fsb should run at 2133MHz,and the 2600 with 333fsb at 2083MHz. try setting you multipliers for the cpu to auto.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
hah!

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Crash this is one of the only forums that you can get away with that comment. Probably THE only forum.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Yes he is fond of stabbing VIA in the eye with his wit but he never goes near the nForce2 and 3 chipsets that ASUS uses for the newer high end boards. Never mind that ASUS also provided a DUAL channel board for the new AMD 64's.

The A7V600 was not intended for overclocking and if his MHz does not come up in Auto detect it never will the A7V8X-X newer version to that board has the 8X AGP buss and it is still not designed for overclocking.

I had an Unlocked XP2500+ on that A7V8X-X MoB and it would not overclock past the 12.5 range and the board BIOS options did not provide anything above that setting and the new BIOS updates did not provide an update to provide it. However the system as always from ASUS was rock solid and ran perfectly.

Later I used the XP2500+ in a A7N8X Deluxe and could crank it up to 2.2 GHz with no problems at all. Cooling was provided.

The VIA chip-sets do exactly what the ASUS company say they will do and they do it properly. They never said they made a VIA board strictly to overclock at the time the new release of the AMD XP line, in fact those CPU's were not even around when the VIA chipsets were developed the fact that so many people have been able to overclock the XP chips without problems in the ASUS VIA chipsets is a credit to both ASUS and the VIA 4 in 1 Driver package.

The latest AMD CPU out when ASUS revealed the new VIA driver was the AMD Thunderbird 1.1 GHz and that CPU is still bullet proof today as I know people who use that CPU from Counter Strike to Day Of Defeat online and they are top players in the game.

Besides after 1 GHz it is the responsibility of the Cooling, Hard drive, Motherboard and system hardware RAM and graphics card that makes game's or graphics programs function.

Accepting for the fact that the new latest 32 bit CPU's have more of the SSE and MMX technology updates in them that the old Thunderbirds do not.

I like Intel I always have just not as a game CPU. When they had the world Counter Strike tournament in Las Vegas just after Christmas this year they used LAN computers all set up the same and all running AMD cpu's and ATI graphics cards. Intel was not even seen or heard of, much less needed at the tournament.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid 12 Celsius
2x512 Crucial DDR 400 PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Two Maxtor 40Gig 8MB cach 7200rpm
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x