Solved

Problem with games minimizing to desktop/freezing

Hello, I'm having a incredibly frustrating problem here's my system specs
OS windows 7 64bit
motherboard EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI model 132-BL-E758-A1
videocard EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (x2)
cpu Intel Core i7 I7-920 2.66 GHz
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB
when I play any game(specifically this has happened with X-com and borderlands 2) on my machine after a few minutes if the game is in full screen mode it will minimize to my desktop if I alt+ tab it will go back to the game only to crash again in a minute or two. When I run the game in a windowed mode the game will not minimize but instead the game will freeze until I click my mouse then it will play again for a minute only to freeze again.Yesterday I tried to run far cry3 and the game would run however the sound would cut off after a few minutes here agian it would resume if I clicked my mouse ..weird right ?
here's a few things I've tried to do to fix the problem
-installed after burner and uped the voltage to the card (to 1025mlv) I also upped the fan speed the card is staying a cool temp.
- I reinstalled the driver for the video card
- ran 2 malware scans (with spybot and malware bites)
- changed the power setting in windows to High performance

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problem games minimizing desktop freezing
  1. Best answer
    have you opened msconfig and disabled any non microsoft services and all startup programs?
  2. yes
  3. so I went back and double checked my start up programs unchecked everything (which I thought I already did ) and sure enough now everything works
    thank you for the help
  4. Best answer selected by eltopoxl.
  5. sweet, now you can slowly add them back 1 by 1 until you find the culprit and either keep it disabled or look for an updated version of that software which may fix the problem all together.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Desktops Games Video Games