Internet speed slow on Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

popes2

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello everyone!

I recently installed Windows 8 Pro on my system and so far it has been a fairly positive experience. I did noticed however that my internet speed has dropped to an extreme low after the upgrade, with the download speed dropping from 17Mbps to 1.5Mbps at most and uploads took a small dip as well. I have a D-Link DWA-556 wifi card on my computer which is fairly new. I first assumed it was a driver problem and installed the latest atheros driver for the AR5008 chipset and it had the same problem as the driver Windows 8 installs itself (after uninstalling the driver in Device Manager). I also tried installing the driver I used before with Windows 7 that worked fine, but it too had the slow speeds sadly.

I decided to try tethering to my cellphone to see if maybe it was something to do with the house connection and apparently it seems to work fairly well. So now it feels like it is something to do with the router, but everyone else in the house has the same fast speeds as usual. Wifi status on windows 8 shows full bars and a full 300Mbps internet speed so health checks are fine. Again connectivity and speed was fine prior to the upgrade so I am wondering if maybe the problem is in a setting that needs to be changed on the router. I'm the only one in the house with Windows 8 as of now, everyone else is Windows 7. Has anybody ever dealt with a problem like this after the Windows 8 update and found out what may be causing this? Thanks for any support on this :) .

Rocket_78

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
You App are Downloading an update. App also use Internet. The Service Host: Local Host is also using the internet.

What did i do to lessen the usage?
-I remove the apps on the Startup

Personally I haven't seen this kind behavior, but the most likely culprit is your network driver. Check either the system (if you have a prebuilt box from one of the major OEM's) or the motherboard (if you built the system yourself) manufacturer's websites for newer network drivers. If they don't have any specific with Windows 8, download whatever the latest version if for Windows 7.

medsam

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
hi , i got hp with win 8, i notice that the speed for download decrease to 1 M or to completely sometimes no connection. the speed upload is same 7M. there s nothing downloading info with my computer since with my cellphone or another laptop i got 15M download and 7 for upload.
i look to update driver automaticaly for wifi card, no success, i uninstall it and download driver for windows 7 (hp notebook tx, there no driver for windows 8 for mine/ windows 8 should be also just a enhanced UI for win 7, so i guess driver should be ok) still not fixing my problem. im wondering if it s not windows 8 giving this trouble.

joyjordan

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

My brand new hp laptop is doing the same thing. my phone and other computers are getting download speeds around 18mbps and the hp is getting an average of 5 mbps. The upload is around the same as the other devices. I'm about to try updating drivers, or contacting hp, because this machine is only a week old.

If anyone finds a related fix please let me know.

yaqz

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
It is a problem with drivers; especially Broadcom. I had the same issue with my Dell, thought it was Windows 8 but plugged in a different wifi card, and voila. Same thing on my wife's HP.

Look on the manuf website for Windows 8 drivers, if it doesnt help report the problem to the manufacturer. It will help increase the rate in which they resolve the issue.

jayscsi

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hi, I found windows 8 apps were taking forever to download and install. I decided to cancel all apps and app updates. While cancelling them, all of a sudden, the remaining apps started giving me error messages stating they had not been installed due to some error and had an option to view details of that error on each app. I clicked to view the error and it gave me the option to retry installing the app. When I clicked to retry, the app downloaded and installed almost instantly.

Try cancelling all apps and update apps that are pending see if it works for your system. If you want to install the app updates try installing them one by one. I found it worked for me.

jayscsi

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

try cancelling app updates. I tried installing apps they were taking so long I started cancelling them 1 by 1 including updates pending. All of a sudden apps started installing almost instantly.

try and see.

TheGoodGoodMan

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hi.
I think i found the solution.

1. Open Network Sharing Center
2. Click Change Adapter Settings
3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
4 Click Configure
5 Choose Advanced
6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
7 Click Ok.

Hope it helps.

Scruff149

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks to the steps from the GoodGoodMan...

However, depending on your system you may need to change step 6 & 7

1. Open Network Sharing Center
2. Click Change Adapter Settings
3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
4 Click Configure
5 Choose Advanced
6 On "Roaming Sensitivity" change the value to Disable
7 On the "Power Management" tab, deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

NOTE: I am running Windows 8 on a desktop so this may affect laptop services.

Hazy Jay

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
So I tried the suggested fix of switching off 'allow the computer to turn off this device' on a HP Pavilion G6 2204-sa. It then told me I had no wireless drivers installed for device and the power management tab disappeared. :eek:

I went into device manager, uninstalled the device by right clicking it and uninstalling. Rebooted windows and the device reinstalled. Since then my speeds seem to have improved hugely and with more stability.

jialin1990

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Windows 8 has this wierd lock thing going on to limit the bandwidth when you try to download anything.
This guy made a video(ME) about how to solve the problem. Remember to show support if it worked thx...

http://youtu.be/e_PupUeFw7c

My bad... No link in previous answer...

PCguy1138

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I had the same issue, I was getting good response times up until about a week ago and it started being responsive in 'waves' sometimes great, other times it was like I was on a 56K modem.
I use windows 8 on a new HP desktop and have a LAN cable connected to the modem/router I use.
I did a few things on my PC and nothing seemed to resolve this issue.
I updated the drivers (never mind that the PC is new and the drivers were working fine before last week), rebooted, same internet 'come and go' connectivity.
Power cycled my home network, and all devices, same thing. Same issue
Ran MS and HP updates, same issue.
Tried to disable my 3rd party AV and FW (Comodo and Antivir) and use the Win8 apps, same issue.
I then remembered that I had a DSL issue with my ISP about a week before, where connectivity was lost for some time.

So the other thing I did do, after I did the power cycle of my home network, is go into the command prompt and run a ipconfig /flushdns. and rebooted.
My issue seems to be resolved, my internet connectivity is fast and responsive again.
Not sure if this will work for everyone or if everyone should try it (or why I had to do this with Win8 when I never had to do it with WinXP) but it seems to have done the job for me.
Not sure if this is really what resolved it, but I would say it is something that takes about 5 seconds to do and I do not believe should mess with your PC settings.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
The first thing to do is check to see how much bandwidth your computer is using. The easiest way is using Task Manager. From Task Manager you can open Resource Monitor to dig in a little deeper. From the resource tab you can see what processes are using bandwidth and what percent of the network each is using. On the performance tab you can see how much is being used in each area of your computer, CPU, Memory, Harddisk, Ethernet, Wi-Fi etc. Windows 8 uses your internet connection to update your computer with Windows Update, your live tiles use the internet to update themselves. If you recently configured Mail then the computer may be busy downloading your mail.

Also, make sure your drivers are up to date and that you have done the other troubleshooting steps listed.

Julien Zakaib

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

Hey I am currently experiencing the exact same problem as you. In my situation, I am running Windows 8, upgraded from Windows 7, on a desktop PC (custom built) located in my room and am getting very sluggish / inconsistant wireless connectivity. I managed to isolate the problem to the desktop, because just as you, I used my android phone to thether and create a wifi hotspot that the pc could connect to no problem. Also my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 , when placed right next to the desktop, can connect to the network perfectly fine.

So the good news is you're not alone experiencing this problem. The bad news is I don't have a definite answer yet. I can tell you what i've tried. 1. Wireless Range Extender (Linksys RE1000 in my case) did not help. It made my signal strength go from 3-4 bars to 4-5, but the speeds where still as slow. 2. Resetting the router (Bell 2Wire in my case) did not work, disconnecting all other devices on the network did nothing, and messing with the router settings ( ie: changing the channel, SSID, security protocol, power settings) did not help either (so far, at least. I'm going to keep trying).

Conclusion, as far as I can tell, and i might be wrong here, the problem lies with the way the OS handles wireless connectivity. I can back this up with strange behaviour on the part of Windows 8, like not displaying all available networks when my phone and laptop could both see them all, as well as often displaying a "limited" connection to a network (I double checked the password) when laptop could connect instantly. I think we'll have to wait for Microsoft to roll out that 8.1 update or whatever so we can get a fix for this issue.

Julien

jialin1990

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I ve done a video tutorial, Not sure if it will solve your problem.

But take 5 minutes and try them out.

Link Below: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_PupUeFw7c

Be cool to share it on you Facebook!

Thank You

TJB

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
I'm having a strange issue with connectivity cutting in and out. I thought it was the router or modem but our other computer isn't having the same issue so I'm getting frustrated trying to figure it out ; /

go into the command prompt and run a ipconfig /flushdns. and rebooted.

This seemed to help. I recently disconnected but things seem stable now.

glongwill

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

glongwill

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
although this may not address the specific issue, i have solved many compatibility issues with win 8 ,first change permissions for user account from os to you the admin on for fronts at least ,,,,,1. x86 2. system 32 3. windows 4. win 32 and 5. c: , make sure you dont click sub folders under any of them, if u dont know how to do this please read further online, but for me my issues went away with this approach ,it seems that microsoft wanted to take away user rights managment for pc's anyway to do i dont no what,so you have to take control of that first,once done, you have many options, this same idea allowed me to install, what i couldnt install 2003 windows office? ya... can you believe that there own programs wouldnt work!, or may work some times on some machines able to work? it justs pushes me further to linux! techies please comment ,,,,,,,,right now i have no problem running google earth and any! program from 1998! that i have tried, so to some it up its about permissions to the operating system!!!!!!,duh, this info is worth money i know but i wouldnt charge a dime, it would be a crime(google admins didnt know work around, msn couldnt tell us! this is and does work just be careful,ive done it on three computers running win8 basic ,not upgrade,but laptops with .installed with win8, 2 dells, one toshiba, i know it will work for more ,spread the word.!!!!! take back the OS!!!!!!!!! WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT! (CONTROL),THX EVERYONE .................GEO

win8newbie

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

We had the same issue with a new computer with Windows 8 (not pro) preinstalled. Internet download speeds were abysmally slow.
After much searching (multiple frustrating days), a microsoft level 2 tech discovered that we're running Avast as our virus protection. He right clicked the Avast Icon in the system tray and checked "Silent/gaming mode" and that totally fixed the problem.:bounce:

edit: I forgot to mention that the computer was connected to the network via ethernet, not wireless.

furbonian

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
hi guys...I have been around computers for all my life and while I'm no computer know-it-all, I feel I still have a somewhat clued in mind with technology BUT!!!........I am at the end of my controlled mentality with the internet associated with Windows 8.

I have a brand new P.BELL EASYNOTE TE with Windows 8 pre-installed, and a pretty quick internet connection. On my 4/5 yr old Dell laptop which is completely screwed, everything works fine. Even on my cheap ass smartphone I can do anything I want with ease while connected to the same wifi connection.

Now, My FANTASTIC Windows 8 on my new laptop...takes ages to load the most basic of pages...even opening google is a pain in the testies. And don't talk to me about using my hotmail account, I cant even get to my sent folder or sometimes even logout. This is with Internet Explorer and Google chrome...SOMEBODY out there please help me. Im not completely up to scratch with computing terminology so the more simple the better.....only change ive made is installing a paid for norton security program......thanks in advance!

PrincessGlo

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I finally SOLVED this issue with the help of my ISP:

NETGEAR ROUTER SETTINGS:

Wireless Network(2.4GHz b/g/n)
Check: Enable SSID Broadcast
Set to Channel 11
Mode: Up to 130 Mbps
Security Options
Check: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPAW-PSK [AES]
PASSPHRASE: (your network key)