Why do F2P games run like crap, but P2P games run fine?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hey, Mike2012 here. Before we go any further here's my setup.

CPU: Core i3 2120@3.3ghz
GPU: Gigabyte HD 7750 1GB GDDR5(880mhz version)
RAM: 4GB

I've noticed lately that games that I've actually had to pay for run great. However, a lot of F2P games I've played run like crap.

For instance, in Blacklight Retribution, the game will run at 60fps, but lag and stutter all over the place.

However, in BF3, which looks much better, I can get 60fps on low in multiplayer.

I can also get 60fps in Black Ops II on multiplayer at low to mid settings with textures on extra.

So like I said, in P2P games, I don't get this stutter. Only in F2P games like Blacklight Retribution.

Another example is Raiderz Online. Now, I've played games which much more going on than Raiderz, like Just Cause 2 and Mafia 2 where I manage to get a constant 60fps. But on Raiderz Online when NOTHING is really going on, the game will randomly drop down to 30-40fps.

So is it just me or are F2P games unoptimized?

likely down to how the makers are using the connection and the amount of packets the game sends/recives and duplicates.
some use a system called packet dup which duplicates some packets on stable lines this can then cause a packet to be read twice which results in jitter
if you can turn packet dup/line smoothing off. but know that this in itself can cause issues on unstable lines. only ever turn it off completely if your connecting to a local server thats within 250 miles.
where to turn it off? depends. some games use there ingame tilde console others need to have config files edited.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Maybe man.

I mean, these MMORPG's don't even look that great and they run like crap.

But most of the games that I've paid for work flawlessly at 60fps at either low, high or max settings.

So I think it might come down to just bad coding.

MMORPGs are basically designed so that they can run on computers with very modest hardware. The point of a F2P MMO game is to make it so that it covers most potential gamers. The more people playing the sooner the developer can recover the cost of development and make a profit. That's the F2P model.

Performance is based on more than just bad coding or weak PC. There's also the internet to deal with. Long ping times causes lag. An overwhelmed game server causes lag. Lost data packets (either sending or receiving) causes lag.

Are F2P games likely to have less optimized coding than P2P games? Sure, it's possible, then again P2P games are probably better funded so there is money and time to optimize the codes.

If you don't like the F2P model, then just stick with P2P games.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

I guess I will. But I think it is mostly bad coding. For instance, in Tera I turn the draw distance up and it lowers my fps. However, in a game like Just Cause 2, I can have the entire island in view and not get lag. I guess F2P games or MMO's in general, just aren't that optimized.