Can't install XP.

I am using this board
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2518346/2518346mv.shtml
Celeron 2.6, 256 pc133, new power, new floppy and cable, 2 Maxtor 27GB w/
new cable, Phillips CDRW. POST reads cpu as P4, 0 MHz, 265mb. I can't get
it to boot to 3 different XP Pro cd's, or a floppy. It reads floppy and
cdrw,( lights come on) One of the HDD has XP Pro, and it gives me boot
options, which ALL reboot and loop. Is it the 0 MHz? Someone in another
group said something about PI0 instead of DMA, in an unrelated thread.
Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about install

    Yes, the CPU error could be a problem - make sure you have the latest BIOS.
    Faulty RAM or hard drive could also be problems - test them (memtest86 for
    RAM; PowerMax for drive).

    www.memtest86.com

    "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > I am using this board
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2518346/2518346mv.shtml
    > Celeron 2.6, 256 pc133, new power, new floppy and cable, 2 Maxtor 27GB w/
    > new cable, Phillips CDRW. POST reads cpu as P4, 0 MHz, 265mb. I can't
    get
    > it to boot to 3 different XP Pro cd's, or a floppy. It reads floppy and
    > cdrw,( lights come on) One of the HDD has XP Pro, and it gives me boot
    > options, which ALL reboot and loop. Is it the 0 MHz? Someone in another
    > group said something about PI0 instead of DMA, in an unrelated thread.
    > Thanks.

    I'm not smart enough to make memtest work. Got a new cdrw today and xp is
    running. I still can't flash BIOS. Tech support said that was probably the 0
    MHz thing. I've tried the bios files alone, merged with xp startup, merged
    with Me startup and xp formatted...NOTHING, Invalid system disk.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, the CPU error could be a problem - make sure you have the latest
    BIOS.
    > Faulty RAM or hard drive could also be problems - test them (memtest86 for
    > RAM; PowerMax for drive).
    >
    > www.memtest86.com
    >

    > "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > > I am using this board
    > > http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2518346/2518346mv.shtml
    > > Celeron 2.6, 256 pc133, new power, new floppy and cable, 2 Maxtor 27GB
    w/
    > > new cable, Phillips CDRW. POST reads cpu as P4, 0 MHz, 265mb. I can't
    > get
    > > it to boot to 3 different XP Pro cd's, or a floppy. It reads floppy and
    > > cdrw,( lights come on) One of the HDD has XP Pro, and it gives me boot
    > > options, which ALL reboot and loop. Is it the 0 MHz? Someone in another
    > > group said something about PI0 instead of DMA, in an unrelated thread.
    > > Thanks.

    Tim,

    The motherboard sounds like an Intel-made D845HV or D845WN if it uses PC133
    DIMMS rather than DDR. Flashing the BIOS on one of these boards is REALLY
    tricky because Gateway may not provide an updated flash BIOS. I have
    successfully flashed one of these boards with a generic Intel BIOS, but I do not
    advocate that you attempt it because it is a risky procedure. (I do these sorts
    of things all the time, and have done so for years.)

    I have not yet tried to install any version of XP on one of these boards, so I
    can't help there. But Windows 2000 Pro installs just fine with a faster than
    specified Celeron CPU AFTER the BIOS is updated.

    I can offer these suggestions:

    1. Temporarily at least, install a slower CPU with a speed recognized by the
    BIOS. See the Intel web site for more details, including complete tech specs
    and detailed processor support info.

    2. Temporarily remove one Maxtor drive from the system and install with only a
    single drive.

    3. There is still some chance that the memory is defective. The instructions
    for MEMTEST on the web site include a download of the DOS-based RAWRITE program
    needed to create a bootable Linux floppy which runs MEMTEST. You need to do all
    this in either a DOS command window, on a computer booted up in DOS mode, or on
    a computer running DOS (any of these left?).

    Maybe one of these will work and give a clue as to how to get the system where
    you want it to be... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:20:11 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:

    >I'm not smart enough to make memtest work. Got a new cdrw today and xp is
    >running. I still can't flash BIOS. Tech support said that was probably the 0
    >MHz thing. I've tried the bios files alone, merged with xp startup, merged
    >with Me startup and xp formatted...NOTHING, Invalid system disk.
    >
    >"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, the CPU error could be a problem - make sure you have the latest
    >BIOS.
    >> Faulty RAM or hard drive could also be problems - test them (memtest86 for
    >> RAM; PowerMax for drive).
    >>
    >> www.memtest86.com
    >>

    >> "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    >> > I am using this board
    >> > http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2518346/2518346mv.shtml
    >> > Celeron 2.6, 256 pc133, new power, new floppy and cable, 2 Maxtor 27GB
    >w/
    >> > new cable, Phillips CDRW. POST reads cpu as P4, 0 MHz, 265mb. I can't
    >> get
    >> > it to boot to 3 different XP Pro cd's, or a floppy. It reads floppy and
    >> > cdrw,( lights come on) One of the HDD has XP Pro, and it gives me boot
    >> > options, which ALL reboot and loop. Is it the 0 MHz? Someone in another
    >> > group said something about PI0 instead of DMA, in an unrelated thread.
    >> > Thanks.

    I did it! Removed 1 HDD, NEW cdrw and XP Pro was able to format and install.
    Then I used this system to create a boot floppy and answered NO to overwrite
    with BIOS files. It booted to an A:\ and I ran iflash.exe. BIOS now reports
    P4 2.6, and XP reports Celeron 2.6.
    BTW, XP installation couldn't format the 2nd HDD, but it could and did in
    'My Computer'.
    BTW Too, a few weeks ago I was asking about a Tabor2 board with a PIII.
    Almost the same Q's. I swapped it with my LX board with a celeron 500, and
    XP only needed to reactivate! Now I have 2 nused computers. As always,
    thanks to all for helping me!!!

    > Tim,
    >
    > The motherboard sounds like an Intel-made D845HV or D845WN if it uses
    PC133
    > DIMMS rather than DDR. Flashing the BIOS on one of these boards is REALLY
    > tricky because Gateway may not provide an updated flash BIOS. I have
    > successfully flashed one of these boards with a generic Intel BIOS, but I
    do not
    > advocate that you attempt it because it is a risky procedure. (I do these
    sorts
    > of things all the time, and have done so for years.)
    >
    > I have not yet tried to install any version of XP on one of these boards,
    so I
    > can't help there. But Windows 2000 Pro installs just fine with a faster
    than
    > specified Celeron CPU AFTER the BIOS is updated.
    >
    > I can offer these suggestions:
    >
    > 1. Temporarily at least, install a slower CPU with a speed recognized by
    the
    > BIOS. See the Intel web site for more details, including complete tech
    specs
    > and detailed processor support info.
    >
    > 2. Temporarily remove one Maxtor drive from the system and install with
    only a
    > single drive.
    >
    > 3. There is still some chance that the memory is defective. The
    instructions
    > for MEMTEST on the web site include a download of the DOS-based RAWRITE
    program
    > needed to create a bootable Linux floppy which runs MEMTEST. You need to
    do all
    > this in either a DOS command window, on a computer booted up in DOS mode,
    or on
    > a computer running DOS (any of these left?).
    >
    > Maybe one of these will work and give a clue as to how to get the system
    where
    > you want it to be... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:20:11 -0700, "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm not smart enough to make memtest work. Got a new cdrw today and xp is
    > >running. I still can't flash BIOS. Tech support said that was probably
    the 0
    > >MHz thing. I've tried the bios files alone, merged with xp startup,
    merged
    > >with Me startup and xp formatted...NOTHING, Invalid system disk.
    > >
    > >"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > >> Yes, the CPU error could be a problem - make sure you have the latest
    > >BIOS.
    > >> Faulty RAM or hard drive could also be problems - test them (memtest86
    for
    > >> RAM; PowerMax for drive).
    > >>
    > >> www.memtest86.com
    > >>

    > >> "Tim" <Tim@XHemplemans.com> wrote in message
    > >w/
    > >> get

Gateway Floppy Disk Windows XP Computers