AC1 customer, NE2 requires change to AC2?

I was just told at a Verizon store that I must upgrade from AC1 (family
plan) to AC2 to take advantage of NE2. I originally thought I could
just extend AC1 for two more years. Is that true?

I don't want to lose roaming and contratual 1X MOU.

-MVL

That seems to be their position lately. However, upgrading online
has always, at least in the NYC market, been accomplished with no
plan changes. The problem is that your NE2 eligibility is not always
reflected online, although you might be able to get customer service
to fix that. Whether all of this is still the case today I don't
really know.

mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote in news:1118027838.573681.193680
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I was just told at a Verizon store that I must upgrade from AC1
(family
> plan) to AC2 to take advantage of NE2. I originally thought I
could
> just extend AC1 for two more years. Is that true?
>
> I don't want to lose roaming and contratual 1X MOU.
>
> -MVL

Yes, you can extend AC1 for two more years (forever in fact). NE2 is based
on the value of your plan, NOT on which plan it is. Seems they have had a
"policy" change where they are pushing you to AC2. Contractually, they have
no right to do it. Nothing in your contract says you can't, nothing in
their policy says you must. You are just being "encouraged" to move to AC2,
call back and ask for a manager. Your request is very reasonable, and
within your rights as well. If you need help, email us, and we will do a 3
way call with you and customer service to make sure that you get treated
fairly. No charge, our pleasure. dr.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

<mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was just told at a Verizon store that I must upgrade from AC1 (family
> plan) to AC2 to take advantage of NE2. I originally thought I could
> just extend AC1 for two more years. Is that true?
>
> I don't want to lose roaming and contratual 1X MOU.
>
> -MVL

Just called customer service a few times. Each time (assuming they
didn't look at the prior CSR's notes), they said that company policy is
that all new or extended contracts can no longer be done on
grandfathered plans. This also means you cannot get any subsidized
phone rates unless you switch your plan to AC2.

I'm sure they are contractual loopholes that I could fight if I wanted,
but Verizon is no longer the great wireless company I remember when I
signed up 5 years ago:
- decreased network coverage with the removal of Sprint and various
analog roaming
- decreased customer service, no longer 24 hours
- crippling their latest phones

When any great company thinks it is so good that it can reduce the
quality of its product and be less concerned with the needs of its
customers, it is time to go.

Cingular has decent coverage in my area, time to give them a 2-year
trial... gotta love number portability.

-MVL

Verizon has been and as far as I know still is primarily focused as a
cellular company. So the dropping of PCS roaming in areas where there
is a cellular CDMA carrier they have a roaming agreement with seems
smoother. There are so few places where there is analog only service
available. In this country it is even less than the areas where there
is no service at all. Yes, number portability is a good thing, but you
would port your number from verizon 3G CDMA to cingular 2g gsm?

Yes, that's what companies respond to. They don't tend to care about
individuals, but if their numbers drop they scratch their heads, think, and
make changes.

Cingular in my area has recently added a tower nearby which makes them a
better possible choice. I like that they support data while roaming.

For now, Verizon is close enough, and simply a better financial deal for me.

-Dan

PS: Well, Verizon is also the sole source of cellular service in Lorane OR
(middle of nowhere), and I have family there.

--

Oregon and the Pacific Northwest