replacing p4 fan and heatsink?

P4user

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
The fan on my p4 is giving out so I need to replace the whole thing. I have another intel p4 fan and heatsink to replace it with but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to just put the thermal pad over the old melted stuff from the first one. Should I clean the old stuff off of the processor before I put on the new one, or should I just leave it as is and put it on over it? Thanks a bunch.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by p4user on 02/11/04 08:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's the same material and thin, I'd leave it alone because the two will mix as heat and pressure force them together.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I would clean off the old stuff first to make sure it's nice and smooth. If you get too high temperatures after the HSF replacement you'll be sorry you didn't take the time to clean the CPU properly.
Also I'm not a big fan of thermal pads. The last one I used (from a thermaltake fan) glued the CPU so hard to the heatsink that removing the heatsink (some months later) pulled the CPU out of its socket.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

P4user

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and use arctic silver for some extra cooling. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a fan and heatsink combo that doesn't have a thermal pad on the bottom of it so I can use the arctic silver? Or am I better off just removing the pad from my intel heatsink?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I wouldn't recommend the Intel heatsink. You should find a better one. Don't mind the thermal pad. If the new HSF has one, simply remove it and clean the surface with some kind of alcohol. Then put on the thermal paste.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

TRENDING THREADS