voltage problem

yiltawar

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2004
my p4 2.6c cpu is @ 2900mhz when i try to go faster it fails and i cannot increase the voltage it i set 1.600 it goes 1.54 on monitor is it the psu or anything else
i use a chieftec matrix case with 360watt stock psu

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is it an Asus motherboard?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

yiltawar

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2004
full specs
p4 2.6c @2900 cpu w/zalman cnps7000a-cu
msi 865pe neo2 mobo
2x 512mb pc3200 twinmos rams w/vantec memory heatspreaders
4x thermaltake blue-eye case fans
chiftec matrix bigtower case w/stock 360w psu

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Chieftech supplies are a bit on the cheap side, since I haven't heard of this issue being caused by your particular board, I'd start monitoring line voltages (3.3v, 5v, 12v).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If they're waving, wave back, they seem to like that!

Seriously, it sounds like you need a power supply with better voltage control. My best stability comes with the 12v line between 11.9v and 12.3v, 11.8v is OK, anything under 13v shouldn't overheat anything.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I built a computer for a friend with the same board. His voltages do the same thing, but i'm almost positive it's his generic powersupply.
If he finally replaces that one day and it doesn't fix the problem i think we have a new shitty board winner.

And i hate that stupid xmas light nb fan they have on it!

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=610166081</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.