Sign in with
Your question

Optimize window 7 ultimate

Last response: in Windows 7
November 4, 2010 2:21:56 PM

Hi, All: My new built is up running now with windows 7 ultimate on it. Would you please tell me a little bit how to optimize the windows 7 to runs smoother and faster? Any free software I can use for testing?

Thanks,

Here is my built:

Case: Lian Li PC-7FN
PSU: Consair HX850W
CPU: i7-950
MB: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU cooler: Cooler master 212 plus
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3x2GB
Video Card: Sapphire Viper Radeon 5770
Hardrive: Seagate 7,200 1TB
a c 253 $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 2:32:12 PM

Well, this is sort of an open ended question. What specifically are you trying to do?

One of the easiest things you can do to improve performance is to install the latest device drivers for your GPU, chipset, sound card, etc.

You can also make some easy software tweaks, by cleaning your registry with a tool like CCleaner (piriform.com/ccleaner).

Please clarify and the good folks on the forums can likely help you more. Good luck!
m
l
November 4, 2010 2:44:49 PM

Hi, ColGeek:

I did a Windows Experience Index check in my new system: The scores are as follows:

CPU: 7.5; RAM: 7.5; Graphic Card: 7.4s; Harddrive: 5.9.

I am using this system mainly for photo and video editing. My question is how I configure the settings to fit for my purpose, so the system run its best for my use. I am thinking to have raid design in this new system, but have not decide to have just raid 0 or raid 0+1 (4 drives)

Thanks,

m
l
Related resources
a c 253 $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 2:50:27 PM

thanwu said:
Hi, ColGeek:

I did a Windows Experience Index check in my new system: The scores are as follows:

CPU: 7.5; RAM: 7.5; Graphic Card: 7.4s; Harddrive: 5.9.

I am using this system mainly for photo and video editing. My question is how I configure the settings to fit for my purpose, so the system run its best for my use. I am thinking to have raid design in this new system, but have not decide to have just raid 0 or raid 0+1 (4 drives)

Thanks,

Those are actually pretty good levels and you should have no issues running just about anything out there. The decision to go RAID or not will not dramatically change your Windows Experience Index scores.

What applications are you using for photo and video editing? Both of those activities can be very memory intensive, adding main memory and a fast data HDD/RAID can help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 3:10:29 PM

the best way of increasing HDD scores is to get a SSD drive
m
l
November 4, 2010 3:21:06 PM

COLGeek said:
Those are actually pretty good levels and you should have no issues running just about anything out there. The decision to go RAID or not will not dramatically change your Windows Experience Index scores.

What applications are you using for photo and video editing? Both of those activities can be very memory intensive, adding main memory and a fast data HDD/RAID can help.

For photo editing is Photoshop CS5 and Capture One Pro.
For Video editing is Adobe Premiere and Pinnacle ultimate 14. so you think the raid 0+1 is good setup for me?
I will wait Black Friday to add the extra drives.

Thanks,
m
l
a c 253 $ Windows 7
November 4, 2010 5:43:50 PM

thanwu said:
For photo editing is Photoshop CS5 and Capture One Pro.
For Video editing is Adobe Premiere and Pinnacle ultimate 14. so you think the raid 0+1 is good setup for me?
I will wait Black Friday to add the extra drives.

Thanks,

Increase RAM and go with the RAID. Should help with your editing apps nicely.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2010 6:30:01 PM

COLGeek said:
Increase RAM and go with the RAID. Should help with your editing apps nicely.

Isnt RAID 10 better than RAID 01?
m
l
November 8, 2010 3:44:55 PM

For performance purpose, the raid 01 is better, for security purpose, raid 10 is better.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2010 4:16:05 PM

i run my OS and a few programs off SSD the rest off HDD.
m
l
November 10, 2010 1:56:01 PM

thanwu said:
For performance purpose, the raid 10 is better, for security purpose, raid 10 is better.

Surely one of "10" should be "01" here? :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2010 1:58:34 PM

lol.
m
l
November 17, 2010 2:17:20 AM

ricno said:
Surely one of "10" should be "01" here? :) 

yes, my mistake. 01 for performance, 10 for security.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2010 5:40:27 AM

A bit off topic, but reading the above reminded me of this old joke:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
m
l
!