Intel vs amd upgrade pls help

scarywestern

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
ok iam seriously confused for what direction i must go with my gaming upgrade.ive used amd since 2004 and being let down by my amd fx 6200 cpu iam thinking toward intel now . so i have a budject being a father of two and a house ,lol.so let me know honestly what is best for gaming.iam gaming mostly rts games.
intel upgrade
.Intel® Core i5-3570 Processor
Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 6MB, 77W, HD2500, Boxed w/fan
.Gainward GeForce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA
PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, DL-DVI-D + DL-DVI-I, HDMI, DP, 980MHz
.Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, Socket-1155
ATX, Z77, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, mSATA, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI

amd upgrade

AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor
Socket-AM3+, 4.0Ghz, 125W, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm, Black Edition

XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 3.0, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort, 1000MHz, Ghost Thermal

ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+
ATX, 970+SB950, DDR3, 2xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, UEFI

Metwingie

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
If gaming is your priority then go for the Intel setup.

But if your on a budget, upgrading will be much cheaper and the 8350 is a decent CPU all round and put money towards a 670/7970

The review isn't reliable.

Different hardware has been used in the comparison. Not only CPU and MOBO.

Try some legit comparisons:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/6

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-14.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-15.html

I would prefer the Intel setup. The Intel setup has better CPU performance and almost similar GPU performance. The Intel setup also has way lower power consumption.

The GTX 660 that comes with the Intel setup also has TXAA, FXAA, PhysX and Adaptive v-sync. Here is the Radeon 7870 lacking behind.

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

by Different hardware you mean different SSD? LOL intel fanboys these days are truly desperate. :lol:
and these reviews you show only do a few specific benchmarks when the intel is performing better...
and the HD7870 destroys the GTX 660 and also the HD7870 OC much better.(FXAA used both by AMD & nvidia, and TXAA, PhysX only a handful of games use that, and good lack using PhysX with the 660 :lol: )

scarywestern

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
i guess iam sold agian to amd , its hard after so many years to jump ship to intel , besides i find tweaking alittle on an amd system in the end shows better performance , plus i love tweaking . cheers for opinions guys .

FXAA is avaible in some games. AMD can't get FXAA in every game, that is Nvidia only.

PhysX and TXAA is only in a handful games yes, but those games are apparently also the some of the biggest and most popular games.

HD 7870 don't destroy GTX 660. And you can't compare an OC GPU with a stock GPU. Please show me the legit benchmarks with the latest drivers where the 7870 is a clear winner, because I don't really believe you can,

I can keep on posting benchmarks:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_processor_review,18.html Here you can clearly see that FX 8350 is weaker in Crysis 2 than Intel i5-3570k, even though your video says other wise.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8350_6.html#sect0 And more...

How much do you want?? Can't you see that you have made a mistake?

As long as games doesn't use 8-cores FX 8350 won't beat i5-3570k. AMD has weak single core performance compared to Intel.

Have you had a look at all those benchmarks I posted? If you want the best performance, then AMD isn't the best option.

Rammy

Honorable
CPU Thoughts-
As with every one of these slightly pointless arguments, there isn't really a bad choice. The current line of AMD processors are perfectly competent and arguably offer better value for money. In the vast majority of benchmarks, Intel are still a bit ahead in single threaded performance (and games), but lets be very clear here - neither of them are bad in any way. Most games are still held back by graphics so in many ways the choice of CPU in a gaming machine is redundant.
There are clear advantages to both sides, ignore the trolls and the fanboys and buy whatever you prefer, it's unlikely you'll regret it.

Graphics thoughts-
The HD7870 and GTX660 are both great cards and in my mind they are right on the sweet spot of value/performance right now. You spend much more and make fairly minimal gains, you spend less and you'll struggle to run modern games on higher specs.
Neither has a significant performance advantage, the GTX660 was (until recently) priced a fair bit cheaper so it was probably the card to buy. Additionally, it uses less power, only needs one PCIe connector, and the vast majority of card designs are remarkably compact. If that is important or beneficial, its a great little card, bought one myself for an ITX build.
With price drops the HD7870 is probably the better value as it has the legs on the GTX660 in most games, though it's not by much.

gearboxjoe

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I would disregard everything about OCing. If you are on a budget you don't want to cut the lifespan of your hardware. Take notice of what people are saying when they don't mention overclocking. Stock speeds are still absolutely brilliant.

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

I guess you didn't know that there is a universal FXAA injector that works on ALL cards(AMD and NVIDIA), it intercepts DX calls and does its post-processing the same is true for SMAA (https://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/wiki)

if you try to use PhysX with the GTX660 use going to get horrible fps so better not use it, you can have a valid argument with the PhysX ONLY with high end GPU's like HD7970 vs GTX680 but then again only a handful of games use that.

I said that the HD 7870 is faster than the GTX 660 stock vs stock , and also the HD7870 OC better than the GTX 660 so, the HD7870-OC will destroy the GTX660-OC.

the video i post at the begging it actually show the i5-3570k perform better in crysis2 than the FX 8350, but i guess you didn't even watch the video :whistle:

In Nvidia control panel you can enable FXAA in any EVERYTHING. You can't in CCC.
I own a GPU by Nvidia and one by AMD, so please.

It won't destroy GTX 660, I asked you for benchmarks and you didn't bring any. Conclusion: You're WRONG.

I did watch the video, but I didn't quite remember where the i5-3570k won and lost. Still all the benchmarks I posted says otherwise in every game, even Tomshardware.

GTX 660 can EASILY handle PhysX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STi6rNeYZrY This is a video I made of PhysX when I still had a GTX 660.

to get comparable cpu performance from the fx cpu's you have to overclock them and get them to work on 6 or more threads.
as rammy points out there both decent cpu's for the money but performance goes to intel for doing more per clock on less cores and less power. as your a family man and a home owner i guess your concerns are bills. well if thats the case the intel cpu will save you more money on your bills than the fx would and still get great performance at stock clocks.
yes amd may be cheaper out the gate but after 1 year they have cost roughly the same and 2 years the intel has saved you money. every year after than the gap will grow.
so i would suggest if your gonna splash out. go intel.
you say you already have an fx setup. well why not save enev more money and just swap out the parts you dont need and sell them on. you can recoup some of your money which you can then put towards higher end components.

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

did you read my post? there is a universal FXAA(and SMAA) injector that works on ALL cards(AMD and NVIDIA) in every game.
Also"In CCC you can enable MLAA in any EVERYTHING. You can't in Nvidia control panel. " you see i copy that you said :eek:

you can look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/benchmarks,135.html and you will see that in many cases the HD7870 even beat the 660ti let alone the 660

please show me a 660 ruining borderlands 2 in 1080p high settings and high PhysX and constant 60fps+. the answer is you cant, PhysX is viable in high end cards and even then constant 60fps+ is not guaranteed.(what i am saying is that you can have a HD7870 for example with a good cpu and get similar fps in PhysX with the GTX660)

cpu argument now:
the response video you show have 160-likes & 552-dislikes and the other video have 2660-likes & 139-dislikes, I rest my case....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE this review is correct :sol:

stop being intel or nvidia fanboy it is not cool...

I've come to an conclusion during all this.

You don't pay attention to the facts and kinda "believe" that you you're right. Some people believe in Santa, still doesn't mean he is real. You conclude only on 1 person and don't really compare it to what the big shots are getting. I know you will still answer with something you believe is right, but don't really know for sure.

Also, there is no information in your link with Tomshardware.

This will be my last reply, I'm done here.

Oh, and about the "fanboy" insult, look at all your threads. Bye.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
most games cant use more than 4 cores so for gaming your paying for cores you wont use.

intel is faster core for core

now when they say overclock the amd to beat intel cpu.

THIS is to beat an i5 at stock speeds.

if you buy an i5 k series and overclock then amd cant hold a candle to intel in games

scarywestern

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
i just relized that the 3570k is unlocked.gezzz i should research more on intel , like i said i play mainly rts games and they seem to performs best on intel in tests , simcity is why iam building this build and shogun 2 . i guess the 3570 k is the way to go and fork out alittle more for a 660 ti . and just to confirm is this a good mobo and gpu

MSI Z77A-G43, Socket-1155
ATX, Z77, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI

MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX CUDA
PCI-Express 3.0, DL-DVI-D+DL-DVI-I, HDMI, DP

cheers for the heads up

Romeru

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Every game is different. Different built engines. Battlefield 3 for example uses 6 cores, where fx-8350 has the advantage.

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

there are all equal because this benchmark is GPU bound.

envymert

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I would side with lost gamer on this one ..... lean towards the intel build you cannot go wrong. Also have to agree with gamer on the fact that what troll believes is his mind is a factual argument. This is not the case ..... Lostgamer i'd recommend not responding to troll because it looks/reads/sounds like you are arguing with a woman.....why the hell are you bringing FACTS into an argument!

I have built numerous computers ....intel/amd ati/nvidia you name it but when I build my own I use Intel and Nvidia currently because they offer the best products. Albiet they may have a higher price : performance ratio. When you want the best you have to pay for it.