Sign in with
Your question

Gmod

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2013 3:13:23 PM

When i create a game i get 300fps but when i join a server with even 10 people on it, it will drop down to 30fps
Does anyone know why this is. I can even change all the settings on the game but the fps still stays the same

pc specs:
- amd fx 8120 oc to 4ghz
- superclocked gtx 550ti

ask if you need more info.

More about : gmod

January 22, 2013 4:28:12 PM

By default, multiplayer games take up more resources, but it shouldn't take up that much. Try spawning 10-15 NPC's in your singleplayer game and see what happens. If you don't lag, tell me. If you do, your computer isn't strong enough to handle that many models moving around so much.
m
l
January 22, 2013 5:09:28 PM

i spawned 17 and when i directly looked at all of them my fps was in the 40 - 50
and when i looked away it was 300

I doubt that when i join a server im constantly looking at all the players so why would it lag if im not looking at them.

Edit: also , if i change my settings it still doesnt make the fps go any higher
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 4:29:20 AM

NPC's stand still (unless you make them move). Players move a lot, and it requires double the resources for multiplayer.
m
l
January 23, 2013 6:06:49 PM

they move
and what would i have to upgrade in order for it not to lag. my graphics card or cpu?
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:54:05 PM

Give me your system specs and I'll tell ya! :D 

CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, and HDD/SDD.
m
l
January 25, 2013 2:16:57 AM

MistahYebba said:
Give me your system specs and I'll tell ya! :D 

CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, and HDD/SDD.

Ireally dont understand why its lagging though because everyone else i see play gmod never lags that bad

i have amd fx 8120 8 core cpu at 4ghz
superclocked gtx 550ti
8gb ddr3 ram at 1333mhz
1tb hdd at 7200rpm

I dont think it should be lagging.
m
l
January 25, 2013 3:14:40 AM

Shouldn't be dropping down to 30 with a 550Ti. I've run GMod multiplayer on much weaker systems with better FPS.
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:36:52 PM

voiidwulf said:
Shouldn't be dropping down to 30 with a 550Ti. I've run GMod multiplayer on much weaker systems with better FPS.

What could it be? Is the gpu faulty? or is it my processor?

Also i have windows 8 but i dont think that would really affect it that much
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:11:11 PM

You have a strong gaming computer there. You should be able to run Skyrim on Ultra with no lag, so why you're lagging in GMod stumps me.

I would suggest trying to change the priority in the Task Manager while it's running to "High" or "Realtime" and see if it's your RAM that is distributing in a weird way.
m
l
January 26, 2013 4:24:46 PM

its possible the server is limiting the fps. it can doo it in 1 of 2 ways. either issue a command when you log on to the server or limit the data packets to 30 on a game that ties its packet data to the fps like C.S. does. the difference is that C.S. will send as many packets as you have fps which gives low ping high fps players an advantage in the game. gmod may level the playing field by limited every 1 to 30...
the best thing to do would be to ask the other players who are on the server if there being limited also...
you should also check the config file to make sure vsync isnt on and set to 30hz.
m
l
January 26, 2013 6:05:51 PM

HEXiT said:
its possible the server is limiting the fps. it can doo it in 1 of 2 ways. either issue a command when you log on to the server or limit the data packets to 30 on a game that ties its packet data to the fps like C.S. does. the difference is that C.S. will send as many packets as you have fps which gives low ping high fps players an advantage in the game. gmod may level the playing field by limited every 1 to 30...
the best thing to do would be to ask the other players who are on the server if there being limited also...
you should also check the config file to make sure vsync isnt on and set to 30hz.

I also was thinking if it was my cpu bottlenecking. Because no matter how much i change the graphics the fps will still stay the same
and i dont think the server has a fps limit because in some places it can go to 100

I have also benchmarked my gpu and it is performing as it should according to other peoples benchmarks.

I will try someone of your suggestions.
m
l
January 26, 2013 6:06:27 PM

MistahYebba said:
You have a strong gaming computer there. You should be able to run Skyrim on Ultra with no lag, so why you're lagging in GMod stumps me.

I would suggest trying to change the priority in the Task Manager while it's running to "High" or "Realtime" and see if it's your RAM that is distributing in a weird way.

Ive already tried that and i have tried setting the affinity to 2 cores and 4 cores but still nothing.
m
l
March 12, 2013 8:46:24 AM

Gmod is a Single threaded game and your AMD processor doesn't have very good single core performance...
m
l
!