Please help stupid noob

savethesquirrels

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Ok, I did a little OC'n back when Athlons were the thing to have and it was easier to find a tech job. Now I'm trying to bust open this AMD 2200+ and its not happenin. Here is the problem. VIA chipset, or so I have been told. When I bump the CPU FSB up it also bumps PCI/AGP and while the rest of the cards don't seem to mind, my pussy Radeon 9600XT does. Games crash and lock up, although normal operation within Windows is fine. The CPU runs between 140-150 depending on what I am doing. Which I am sure is pretty hot. I really like the speed increase I've got and for now would be happy with it. So my questions are:

1. What heatsink/fan does eveyone recomend for the AMD CPU that I can bring the temp down with?
2. What heatsink/fan does everyone recomend for the ATI Radeon 9600XT (card is made by ATI, not a 3rd party model)?
3. Is it possible to lock the PCI/AGP bus speed?
4. Isn't the 9600XT OC'able anyway?
5. Whats the best motor for a 1986 Isuzu Trooper II? (jk :)
6. If I have to, whats the best OC'n mobo preferably with RAID build on? Or what is a good cheap RAID 0 capable card?

Here is what i have so far:
GA-7VAXP Ultra
AMD 2200+ @ 2.2GHz
1GB Crappy RAM, not even sure what the RAS/CAS is, perhaps I should tell you guys that?
ATI Radeon 9600XT
4x 80GB HD's (2 in RAID 0 the other spanned through XP)
2x 30GB HD's (RAID 0 through XP)
SB Live!
Some crappy PCI IDE controller (no RAID)

That might be way more than anyone needs. Let me know of any other info I can provide. Thanks a lot! Really, this is a very helpful forum.

-Faster, Better, Stronger ...mmm Cake
-Windows makes baby Jesus cry

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1. Pick one, Theremalright seems popular.
2. Hah, d00d it shouldn't even get hot. Otherwise I'd say make your own.
3. Of course it is when your motherboard uses a decent chipset.
4. Of course it is, but overclocking the AGP bus and overclocking the video card are completely different things
5. np

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

savethesquirrels

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Sweet, make my own? Like from cardboard and bunny poo? Haha, jk, ok, so it doesn't get hot no worries then. I took the CPU down a little to 1.96GHz and everything runs great. I also clocked down the voltage on the CPU, perhaps that is what fixed it and not the bus speed. So now its at about 145MHz on the bus. Did I mention I have a warranty and I don't care if the CPU fries, I'd like to keep the vid card though. Seriously, does this enthuse anyone to see how high it will go? Its not yer CPU, who cares. Tell the noob stupid things and make him fry his CPU. It'll be fun, like bingo...is...eh.

-Faster, Better, Stronger ...mmm Cake
-Windows makes baby Jesus cry

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, I always make my own video card heatsinks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>