Sign in with
Your question

Disc games vs steam games

Last response: in Video Games
January 23, 2013 12:04:14 AM

Can I buy a disc game from ebay and be able to play multiplayer with friends that use steam? I've noticed disc games are much cheaper.

More about : disc games steam games

January 23, 2013 12:19:06 AM

Hi :) 

Define cheaper lol...if they are a LOT cheaper they are illegal copies and wont work with Steam, and could also get your account banned...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 12:30:16 AM

I would go with steam anyday safe and not from ebay.
m
l
January 23, 2013 12:39:17 AM

BUT, would it work with steam if it wasn't?
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:24:44 AM

Bic5 said:
BUT, would it work with steam if it wasn't?

Depends -- did the person selling it already type the code into STEAM ? If they did then No it will not work online as the code is tied to the very first account that it is installed on and is not transferable (And is it worth the small difference in cost to chance getting a game that will not work online ?)

People try to make you think that Steam is there to prevent Piracy but it's main purpose is to keep games from being sold USED and that is the main reason most companies continue to pay Steam to use their service even though the games are pirated within hours of release in most cases.

Also remember that Steam banning your account would mean the loss of all games you have on that account so trying to use an illegal copy could result in you losing every game you have purchased from them not just the one game so probably not worth taking a chance unless you do not plan to play anything but the single player portion of the game !!

That said --- If you buy it from a regular reputable retail outlet (ie. Gamestop, etc.) Then YES it will work fine with STEAM just is tied to your Steam account once you enter the code !
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:57:04 AM

If you want the game I would buy it, the seller has good feedback and if you pay by Paypal and there is anything dodgy then you should be able to get a refund. I personally thought Crysis 2 was not a good game but many people enjoy it.
m
l
!