Sign in with
Your question

Need Upgrade Help! - system hangs at 74% -says Insufficient Disk Space

Tags:
  • Disk Space
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 4, 2010 4:32:35 PM

Need Upgrade Help! - system hangs at 74% -says Insufficient Disk Space...

I had approximately 600 gigabytes free space, deleted everything in my pictures, music, documents, and videos folders in my old windows directory, and the system still wouldn't complete the upgrade from vista 64 bit ultimate to win 7 64 bit ultimate! Said Insufficient Disk Space...

Anyone know a solution to this?

And there was no uninstalling and reverting back to the old windows after that point, it just destroyed the system when it tried... thank god I had backup RAID copies of the drive...

Please Advise!

More about : upgrade system hangs insufficient disk space

November 25, 2010 1:33:20 AM

How about you do a clean install? Properly format the hard drive.
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:42:09 AM

Absolutely NOT! I have over 1 terabyte of programs installed, and it would take a lifetime to have to reinstall everything!!!

Any other ideas to actually fix or answer the problem I'm experiencing, so I can perform the upgrade completely?
m
l
November 25, 2010 9:22:16 AM

dcwinc1 said:
Absolutely NOT! I have over 1 terabyte of programs installed, and it would take a lifetime to have to reinstall everything!!!

Any other ideas to actually fix or answer the problem I'm experiencing, so I can perform the upgrade completely?

You could get a new hdd,like a cheap 250gb one and install the os on that.Or if you have the budget a 40gb ssd.That way you can keep your programms and have access to them.Another solution would be to partition your disk using partitioning software and then install windows to the partition, but that could cause data loss
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2010 10:26:19 AM

Is your drive partitioned at the moment? Maybe the current partition has insufficient space.
m
l
November 25, 2010 11:37:16 AM

BeCoolBro said:
You could get a new hdd,like a cheap 250gb one and install the os on that.Or if you have the budget a 40gb ssd.That way you can keep your programms and have access to them.Another solution would be to partition your disk using partitioning software and then install windows to the partition, but that could cause data loss

--- If I do that, then I still can't access all my programs from the start menu like I have now, which is what I wanted, so that defeats the purpose of doing the upgrade entirely. I still have 900 gigabytes free space on my single partition mirrored 2 terabyte drives, which should be ample room/space for the upgrade to complete successfully...

Any other suggestions to keep the Upgrade from hanging/stopping at 74% and telling me I have insufficient space?
m
l
November 25, 2010 11:38:06 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Is your drive partitioned at the moment? May the current partition has insufficient space.

--I still have 900 gigabytes free space on my single partition mirrored 2 Terabyte drives, which should be ample room/space for the upgrade to complete successfully...

Any other suggestions to keep the Upgrade from hanging/stopping at 74% and telling me I have insufficient space?
m
l
!