[HELP] Sloooow harddrive

Hi,

I have problems with my E-4200 (Tabor 4000444). It came fitted with a
10-Gig Quantum fireball, I've installed Win98se on it and it's
_extremely_ slow when writing data (DiskTT says 81.6MB/s read and
3.1MB/s write!). I must add that I've updated the BIOS to the latest
version (4M4PB0X1.15A.0033.P21). I've uninstalled/reinstalled the IDE
controller using controlpane/system but still it's dog slow, so I
suspect a BIOS issue. Does anyone have an idea of where the problem
lies?
TIA,

Serge

Is DMA checked in the device manager?

--
Change 'invalid' with net to reply personally

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

How much free space is on this drive?

"Serge Guillaume" <serge_guillaume@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have problems with my E-4200 (Tabor 4000444). It came fitted with a
> 10-Gig Quantum fireball, I've installed Win98se on it and it's
> _extremely_ slow when writing data (DiskTT says 81.6MB/s read and
> 3.1MB/s write!). I must add that I've updated the BIOS to the latest
> version (4M4PB0X1.15A.0033.P21). I've uninstalled/reinstalled the IDE
> controller using controlpane/system but still it's dog slow, so I
> suspect a BIOS issue. Does anyone have an idea of where the problem
> lies?
> TIA,
>
> Serge

Is it running in MS-DOS mode?
Have you checked it out with PowerMax (maxtor.com) to rule out hardware
issues?

"Serge Guillaume" <serge_guillaume@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have problems with my E-4200 (Tabor 4000444). It came fitted with a
> 10-Gig Quantum fireball, I've installed Win98se on it and it's
> _extremely_ slow when writing data (DiskTT says 81.6MB/s read and
> 3.1MB/s write!). I must add that I've updated the BIOS to the latest
> version (4M4PB0X1.15A.0033.P21). I've uninstalled/reinstalled the IDE
> controller using controlpane/system but still it's dog slow, so I
> suspect a BIOS issue. Does anyone have an idea of where the problem
> lies?
> TIA,
>
> Serge

serge_guillaume@yahoo.com (Serge Guillaume) wrote in message news:<3908499.0404121136.54619f21@posting.google.com>...
Thanks to all for your answers!
In fact I've reinstalled win98 and it works better now, I've got
14.5MB/s (much better) write and something like 22MB/s read (worse).
While this will probably solve my main problem (saving DV flow from my
camcorder), I'd like to know if these figures are in line with the
performance of my harddrive - i.e. could it be even better if I
tweaked it? And I don't know if the DMA is set, I'll check (Device
Manager is the second tab of system properties, right?).
Thanks again,

Serge

How much memory does the system have? Too little memory could cause extensive
disk thrashing. Has the drive been defragmented? Has the registry been
defragmented? I can go on and on, but prefer to refer you to the CNet web site,
which has published my laundry list of suggestions... Ben Myers

Serge Guillaume wrote:

> serge_guillaume@yahoo.com (Serge Guillaume) wrote in message news:<3908499.0404121136.54619f21@posting.google.com>...
> Thanks to all for your answers!
> In fact I've reinstalled win98 and it works better now, I've got
> 14.5MB/s (much better) write and something like 22MB/s read (worse).
> While this will probably solve my main problem (saving DV flow from my
> camcorder), I'd like to know if these figures are in line with the
> performance of my harddrive - i.e. could it be even better if I
> tweaked it? And I don't know if the DMA is set, I'll check (Device
> Manager is the second tab of system properties, right?).
> Thanks again,
>
> Serge
Right. This link tells more...

http://www.real-knowledge.com/dma.htm

--
Change 'invalid' with net to reply personally