Heatsink/Motherboard incompatibility

d98mp

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
While assembling my first computer I discovered that three capacitors on my motherboard (LeadTek K7NCR18-PRO 2) is obstructing me from fitting the heatsink (Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC, 85 mm width). At the right side of the socket A, the gap between the socket and the capacitors is 10 mm too short.

I didn't even know this was an issue. Do you think the motherboard is badly designed? Or is the heatsink unusually wide?

What if I cut 10 mm from the heatsink? There will obviously be less flange area; what about balance and airflow? Will the cooling ability still be enough for an AMD 2500+?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
thats a lot to cut off... you can try, its still better than buying a new heatsink, though i don't know how good your cpu temps will be (or would have been) with that heatsink.. the motherboard is completely at fault here by the way, its not exactly a great motherboard, and that heatsink isn't exactly oversized - wouldn't surprise me to know that Leadtek wasn't too great at keeping within spec

<b>and now for something completely different</b>
...<b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is a not-so-uncommon problem. The board makers used to only need a 60x60mm heatsink area (plus a few mm for clearence). But newer sinks are often wider.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>