Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Another 2500 OC question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2004 3:18:07 AM

Hello all. You guys were very helpful when I started on my dream of building my first computer a few months ago. Now after crawling all over the internet and doing my research, I've made some decisions. But I still need a little help, and all my searching hasn't brought me answers.

Important details: I'm going to get a 2500 and an NF7-S. I want to OC the fsb to 200, THAT'S IT. I'm a noob, and that should be sufficient for my purposes. I don't feel like pushing my luck, or my CPU too far. Anyway, I want to get a gig of pc3200 RAM, but I'm up in the air about what kind...Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, Geil, Muskin....I change my mind weekly from looking at what people say. So down to the questions: what is the best RAM for what I want to do, and my motherboard? Is pc3200 ok, or should I jump to 3500? And what about playing with timings? Plus, what other considerations should I make? I thought about a HSF, but some have said the retail is sufficient. I'm getting an Antec P160 case, and the reviews state it is awesome for overall cooling....will this help? Any pointers are great. Thanks all!

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>

More about : 2500 question

February 23, 2004 1:20:04 AM

well, personally i use nothing but crucial memory now, had a spot of problems with the other so called name brands, but in 10 years, micron/crucial has never let me down....the stock amd heatsink and fan that came with my barton 2500 allowed me to go to 3200 at 39c idle and 43c loaded...more than enough.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 24, 2004 2:18:12 AM

vcore is 1.65 and loaded is running ms combat flight sim 3 for a couple hours, or any other of my games that tax the system, same results from prime95 as well....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.
February 24, 2004 2:48:40 PM

Go ahead and jump to pc3500, not a big jump anyways. Pending if you have the chip with the 3000+ core or the 2500+ core, you may have to drop the multiplier and up the FSB past 200 to compensate for the loss. What is the stepping on that chip?

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)
February 24, 2004 5:55:00 PM

Well, I don't have it yet. I'm going to get a 2500+, and it'll probably be locked. I just wanted to do 11x200 and leave it there. I don't run anything too serious, and probably not anything that merits overclocking, but hey, why not? I'd like to do as much as I can without changing too much. I'd like to see if I can do it w/ the stock HSF. I've heard some can, some can't. I would like to toy with the RAM timings a bit, but I don't know if that's really necessary.

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>