Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Before I jump to a Verizon V710, a few questions....

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:53:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my daughter's
phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want to make sure I understand a
few things before I do it.

1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for a long time but
I have been reluctant because I knew she would have no self control and
consequently send lots of pix and rack up large bills. As I understand
it, with this phone, you don't need to "send" (as in pay for) your pix.
You can use either the data cable or the transflash to get the pix
out.... is this correct?

2. When you acquire the data cable, what software do you use to get
your pix out? Where do you get it? Cost?

3. What other activities can you do with the software in it's native
mode? From my reading I understand there are lots of hacks available...
what can you do without the hacks? There is plenty of time for me to
grow into that later.

4. Is this phone durable? By that I mean accidents happen, as in
dropping the phone. Is it tough to survive some of these?

I know I have more questions... but this is good for a start.

Thanks...

---Paul
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:03:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Paul Simon wrote:
> I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my daughter's
> phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want to make sure I understand
> a few things before I do it.
>
> 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for a long time
> but I have been reluctant because I knew she would have no self
> control and consequently send lots of pix and rack up large bills. As
> I understand it, with this phone, you don't need to "send" (as in pay
> for) your pix. You can use either the data cable or the transflash to
> get the pix out.... is this correct?

The camera is, like all phone cameras, "barely OK". It does have an LCD
light that is novel. Motorola Phone Tools is the software. You will
have to hack the phone to use the software effectively; i.e., gain
access to the filesystem. Someone who has the latest v710 firmware will
have to comment on the transflash capabilities that are restricted in
this firmware.

> 2. When you acquire the data cable, what software do you use to get
> your pix out? Where do you get it? Cost?
>
> 3. What other activities can you do with the software in it's native
> mode? From my reading I understand there are lots of hacks
> available... what can you do without the hacks? There is plenty of
> time for me to grow into that later.
>
> 4. Is this phone durable? By that I mean accidents happen, as in
> dropping the phone. Is it tough to survive some of these?

My wife has terminal "don't touch it, you'll break it" syndrome. Her
v710 is still working - it has been dropped several times.
>
> I know I have more questions... but this is good for a start.
>
> Thanks...
>
> ---Paul

The only issue with the v710 is the size and weight especially compared
to the v265. The v710 has excellent Bluetooth headphone capabilities
and very good voice recognition coupled with a somewhat tortuous voice
recognition system.

Q
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Paul Simon" <psimon1210@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1118148808.237940.15760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my daughter's
> phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want to make sure I understand a
> few things before I do it.
>
> 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for a long time but
> I have been reluctant because I knew she would have no self control and
> consequently send lots of pix and rack up large bills.
> Thanks...
>
> ---Paul
>

This would be a marvelous opportunity to teach the little princess about
accountability and responsibility.
If she sends the pix, she pays for them from what she earns from her part
time job. She does work, doesn't she? If she doesn't have the money to pay
for her pix, the phone gets taken away until she pays up.

If she's old enough to have a cell phone, she's old enough to have the
self-control to use it appropriately.

doc
Related resources
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:49:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

J.H. Holliday wrote:
> "Paul Simon" <psimon1210@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1118148808.237940.15760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my
>> daughter's phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want
>> to make sure I understand a few things before I do it.
>>
>> 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for
>> a long time but I have been reluctant because I knew she
>> would have no self control and consequently send lots of
>> pix and rack up large bills.
>> Thanks...
>>
>> ---Paul
>>
>
> This would be a marvelous opportunity to teach the little
> princess about accountability and responsibility.
> If she sends the pix, she pays for them from what she
> earns from her part time job. She does work, doesn't she?
> If she doesn't have the money to pay for her pix, the
> phone gets taken away until she pays up.
>
> If she's old enough to have a cell phone, she's old
> enough to have the self-control to use it appropriately.

You don't have kids do you.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:26:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1118174444.923147@sj-nntpcache-5...
> J.H. Holliday wrote:
>> "Paul Simon" <psimon1210@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1118148808.237940.15760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>> I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my
>>> daughter's phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want
>>> to make sure I understand a few things before I do it.
>>>
>>> 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for
>>> a long time but I have been reluctant because I knew she
>>> would have no self control and consequently send lots of
>>> pix and rack up large bills.
>>> Thanks...
>>>
>>> ---Paul
>>>
>>
>> This would be a marvelous opportunity to teach the little
>> princess about accountability and responsibility.
>> If she sends the pix, she pays for them from what she
>> earns from her part time job. She does work, doesn't she?
>> If she doesn't have the money to pay for her pix, the
>> phone gets taken away until she pays up.
>>
>> If she's old enough to have a cell phone, she's old
>> enough to have the self-control to use it appropriately.
>
> You don't have kids do you.
>
> -Quick

Yes, I do. And I'm their father, not their permissive, enabling "friend."

I set rules and boundaries and teach them personal responsibility,
accountability for behavior and a set of morals and principles to live my.
I'm proud to say our kids are happy, well adjusted, productive, high
achieving, disciplined and responsible.

Parents who don't set behavioral standards for their kids are doing them and
our society a big disservice.

Doc
June 7, 2005 9:23:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

J.H. Holliday wrote:

>>You don't have kids do you.
>>
>>-Quick
>
>
> Yes, I do. And I'm their father, not their permissive, enabling "friend."
>
> I set rules and boundaries and teach them personal responsibility,
> accountability for behavior and a set of morals and principles to live my.
> I'm proud to say our kids are happy, well adjusted, productive, high
> achieving, disciplined and responsible.
>
> Parents who don't set behavioral standards for their kids are doing them and
> our society a big disservice.
>
> Doc
>
>

Agree, every troubled kid I know was their parents' best friend and
rules were never made and boundaries were never enforced.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:05:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Paul Simon" <psimon1210@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1118148808.237940.15760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my daughter's
> phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want to make sure I understand a
> few things before I do it.
>
> 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for a long time but
> I have been reluctant because I knew she would have no self control and
> consequently send lots of pix and rack up large bills. As I understand
> it, with this phone, you don't need to "send" (as in pay for) your pix.
> You can use either the data cable or the transflash to get the pix
> out.... is this correct?
>
> 2. When you acquire the data cable, what software do you use to get
> your pix out? Where do you get it? Cost?
>
> 3. What other activities can you do with the software in it's native
> mode? From my reading I understand there are lots of hacks available...
> what can you do without the hacks? There is plenty of time for me to
> grow into that later.
>
> 4. Is this phone durable? By that I mean accidents happen, as in
> dropping the phone. Is it tough to survive some of these?
>
> I know I have more questions... but this is good for a start.
>
> Thanks...
>
> ---Paul
>
V710 is a very good phone, great reception and awesome enhanced feature set.
I bought 4 for my family (wife, 2 daughters, and myself). We all love them
for different reasons, but the bottom line is they are good phones, with an
easily accessed feature set. If you have good reasons to go with the 8000,
then by all means do, LG's are very good phones as well, but the 710 is very
good and unique. If you do decide to get the 710, feel free to contact me
for help on what I did to make the phone work better.
replace nospamanytime with kenheadleegolfgod
June 8, 2005 2:17:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I don't know any owners of the 710 who don't prefer the 8000.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:17:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

ggg Wrote:
> I don't know any owners of the 710 who don't prefer the 8000.


I have two weeks to decide. the 8000 vs the 710. outside of the
bluetooth, is it better and worth $50 more dollars to me. I got the 710
free with my 2 year agreement.

Also all digital, I am not sure if this is good for me in South
Dakota.

E


--
kutscher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t177789.html
June 8, 2005 2:17:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Where do people get the 710 for free?

The VZW website has it for $99.99 after a discount. I don't know how
much the local VZW store is charging.

Ken

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:01:13 -0500, kutscher
<kutscher.1qa72z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>
>ggg Wrote:
>> I don't know any owners of the 710 who don't prefer the 8000.
>
>
>I have two weeks to decide. the 8000 vs the 710. outside of the
>bluetooth, is it better and worth $50 more dollars to me. I got the 710
>free with my 2 year agreement.
>
>Also all digital, I am not sure if this is good for me in South
>Dakota.
>
>E
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:17:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I had a $100 credit for my 2 year agreement so that is why it is free.

So everyone likes the vx8000 over the v710, is that what I am hearing?

E


--
kutscher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t177789.html
June 8, 2005 2:18:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

What exactly makes the 8000 better than the v710? The 8000 lacks
bluetooth and analog. (Lots of times my tri-mode phone falls into
analog. It still has value.) From what people say, the v710 has the
best reception and speakerphone. It has a transflash card and an mp3
player. The only thing of value that the 8000 seems to have is EV-DO,
for those who desire that.

To me, the cameras and multimedia streaming (VCAST) are not an issue.
That is like buying the crackerjacks for the prize at the bottom. I
got over that when my age hit double digits.

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:48:15 -0500, kutscher
<kutscher.1qa95y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>
>I had a $100 credit for my 2 year agreement so that is why it is free.
>
>So everyone likes the vx8000 over the v710, is that what I am hearing?
>
>E
June 8, 2005 7:35:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <qaKdndQhWuX-zzvfRVn-3w@comcast.com>,
nospamanytime@comcast.net says...
>
> "Paul Simon" <psimon1210@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1118148808.237940.15760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> >I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my daughter's
> > phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want to make sure I understand a
> > few things before I do it.
> >
> > 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for a long time but
> > I have been reluctant because I knew she would have no self control and
> > consequently send lots of pix and rack up large bills. As I understand
> > it, with this phone, you don't need to "send" (as in pay for) your pix.
> > You can use either the data cable or the transflash to get the pix
> > out.... is this correct?
> >
> > 2. When you acquire the data cable, what software do you use to get
> > your pix out? Where do you get it? Cost?
> >
> > 3. What other activities can you do with the software in it's native
> > mode? From my reading I understand there are lots of hacks available...
> > what can you do without the hacks? There is plenty of time for me to
> > grow into that later.
> >
> > 4. Is this phone durable? By that I mean accidents happen, as in
> > dropping the phone. Is it tough to survive some of these?
> >
> > I know I have more questions... but this is good for a start.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > ---Paul
> >
> V710 is a very good phone, great reception and awesome enhanced feature set.
> I bought 4 for my family (wife, 2 daughters, and myself). We all love them
> for different reasons, but the bottom line is they are good phones, with an
> easily accessed feature set. If you have good reasons to go with the 8000,
> then by all means do, LG's are very good phones as well, but the 710 is very
> good and unique. If you do decide to get the 710, feel free to contact me
> for help on what I did to make the phone work better.
> replace nospamanytime with kenheadleegolfgod
>
>
>
I replaced my lg4400 with the moto 710. Reception is excellent. And
when it can't hold a 1x signal it successfully jumps to analog BEFORE
the phone drops the call.

As others have mentioned, it has a very good speakerphone and I think it
has an impressive voice dialing system that I use all the time - no more
squinting at my address book in sunlight.

The camera is pretty mediocre but fun for an occasional shot.

It is heavier and larger, but it is also thinner than my VX4400 was. If
you really want analog, I strongly recommend it.

Louise
June 8, 2005 6:12:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:18:16 -0400, ken <noone_special@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What exactly makes the 8000 better than the v710? The 8000 lacks
>bluetooth and analog. (Lots of times my tri-mode phone falls into

the 710 dropped calls constantly and the 8000 never has despite not
being tri-mode and according to users, the 8000 is just easier to use
and they don't take advantage of the special applications in either
phone.


>analog. It still has value.) From what people say, the v710 has the
>best reception and speakerphone. It has a transflash card and an mp3
>player. The only thing of value that the 8000 seems to have is EV-DO,
>for those who desire that.
>
>To me, the cameras and multimedia streaming (VCAST) are not an issue.
>That is like buying the crackerjacks for the prize at the bottom. I
>got over that when my age hit double digits.
>
>On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:48:15 -0500, kutscher
><kutscher.1qa95y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>I had a $100 credit for my 2 year agreement so that is why it is free.
>>
>>So everyone likes the vx8000 over the v710, is that what I am hearing?
>>
>>E
June 8, 2005 6:12:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Have other people had dropped call problems with the v710?

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:12:29 GMT, ggg <goodgutgut@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:18:16 -0400, ken <noone_special@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>What exactly makes the 8000 better than the v710? The 8000 lacks
>>bluetooth and analog. (Lots of times my tri-mode phone falls into
>
>the 710 dropped calls constantly and the 8000 never has despite not
>being tri-mode and according to users, the 8000 is just easier to use
>and they don't take advantage of the special applications in either
>phone.
>
>
>>analog. It still has value.) From what people say, the v710 has the
>>best reception and speakerphone. It has a transflash card and an mp3
>>player. The only thing of value that the 8000 seems to have is EV-DO,
>>for those who desire that.
>>
>>To me, the cameras and multimedia streaming (VCAST) are not an issue.
>>That is like buying the crackerjacks for the prize at the bottom. I
>>got over that when my age hit double digits.
>>
>>On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:48:15 -0500, kutscher
>><kutscher.1qa95y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>I had a $100 credit for my 2 year agreement so that is why it is free.
>>>
>>>So everyone likes the vx8000 over the v710, is that what I am hearing?
>>>
>>>E
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:12:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In news:cf9ea1harua9cvrfdaur1biah1kutf8mqq@4ax.com,
ken <noone_special@yahoo.com> typed:
| Have other people had dropped call problems with the v710?

Never - including driving across country through more than twenty
states.....

PC
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:27:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Proconsul Wrote:
> In news:cf9ea1harua9cvrfdaur1biah1kutf8mqq@4ax.com,
> ken <noone_special@yahoo.com> typed:
> | Have other people had dropped call problems with the v710?
>
> Never - including driving across country through more than twenty
> states.....
>
> PC

So I am told by the local verizon store to go with the 8000. they say
just as good for coverage with much better software and picture
options. They said the problem with the v710 is its trimode function.
In any area with both digital and analog, that I will drop calls all
the time since the phone will not know which service to pick up?? I
have never heard this. But today my wife had 3 dropped calls on her
vx6100 in a supposed all digital area. She was not moving just standing
and talking.
Thanks


--
kutscher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t177789.html
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:27:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In news:kutscher.1qbrby@nospam.cellphoneforums.net,
kutscher <kutscher.1qbrby@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> typed:
| Proconsul Wrote:
|| In news:cf9ea1harua9cvrfdaur1biah1kutf8mqq@4ax.com,
|| ken <noone_special@yahoo.com> typed:
||| Have other people had dropped call problems with the v710?
||
|| Never - including driving across country through more than twenty
|| states.....
||
|| PC
|
| So I am told by the local verizon store to go with the 8000. they say
| just as good for coverage with much better software and picture
| options. They said the problem with the v710 is its trimode function.
| In any area with both digital and analog, that I will drop calls all
| the time since the phone will not know which service to pick up?? I
| have never heard this. But today my wife had 3 dropped calls on her
| vx6100 in a supposed all digital area. She was not moving just
| standing and talking.
| Thanks

That's nonsense in my opinion - it's more likely that the salesperson gets a
spiff for pushing the 8000.....

PC
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:27:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

kutscher wrote:
> Proconsul Wrote:
>> In news:cf9ea1harua9cvrfdaur1biah1kutf8mqq@4ax.com,
>> ken <noone_special@yahoo.com> typed:
>>> Have other people had dropped call problems with the
>>> v710?
>>
>> Never - including driving across country through more
>> than twenty states.....
>>
>> PC
>
> So I am told by the local verizon store to go with the
> 8000. they say just as good for coverage with much better
> software and picture options. They said the problem with
> the v710 is its trimode function. In any area with both
> digital and analog, that I will drop calls all the time
> since the phone will not know which service to pick up??
> I have never heard this.

It's possible... sort of... but not really
Yes, the phone knows which service to pick up *at any given
time*. If the phone decides to initiate a call with one or the other
it will stay with that one for the duration of the call. For what
you were told you would have to be in an area with both digital
and analog coverage AND both the digital and analog would
have to be marginal (both on the edge of usable and not usable).

The phones are programmed to "prefer" a digital signal. If the
digital signal is usable that's what it will pick. It could pick a
marginally usable digital signal even though a very strong
analog signal is present. Make the call, digital signal
fluctuates and you drop the call. If the digital signal dropped
before you made the call and the phone had selected the
strong analog signal then you would not have dropped the
call. Analog signals can be weak too.

Most every tri-mode phone that I know of has a menu option
to select both (default), digital only, analog only. When in
these situations you can set the phone to exclusively deal
with only one and lock out the other.

Lets say you are traveling through analog areas and don't
want the phone to switch to analog (analog drains the battery
much more quickly) you would set it to digital only. In the
situation above where you want the phone connected, have
a marginal digital signal and a good analog signal you would
set it to analog only.

Other than battery usage there is no downside to tri-mode.
It's very much the case that you have the same digital as
a digital only phone with the *addition* of analog capability.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:52:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Paul Simon Wrote:
> I am about to take the leap and upgrade my phone and my daughter's
> phone. Free is hard to pass up. I just want to make sure I understand
> a
> few things before I do it.
>
> 1. My daughter has been after me for a camera phone for a long time
> but
> I have been reluctant because I knew she would have no self control
> and
> consequently send lots of pix and rack up large bills. As I understand
> it, with this phone, you don't need to "send" (as in pay for) your
> pix.
> You can use either the data cable or the transflash to get the pix
> out.... is this correct?
>
> 2. When you acquire the data cable, what software do you use to get
> your pix out? Where do you get it? Cost?
>
> 3. What other activities can you do with the software in it's native
> mode? From my reading I understand there are lots of hacks
> available...
> what can you do without the hacks? There is plenty of time for me to
> grow into that later.
>
> 4. Is this phone durable? By that I mean accidents happen, as in
> dropping the phone. Is it tough to survive some of these?
>
> I know I have more questions... but this is good for a start.
>
> Thanks...
>
> ---Paul

Be careful if you are getting a Verizon V710 that is set up for the
Verizon network. While it is a good phone, I have had one for about two
weeks now, the downside is Verizon. Verizon has disabled pretty much all
the great features such as being able to load your own wallpaper, ring
tones and pictures from your computer. I have been reading about this
for two days now as I had ordered a cable and could not get it to do
much. What I have discovered from doing web searches is that Verizon
appears to have done this so the customers have to "pay" Verizon to get
Verizon's ringtones, games, pictures, etc.

This has made me not too happy. Can't even download pictures we have
taken on the camera directly to my computer.

There appears to be "fixes" out there, but these "fixes" seem to have
wide ranging effects on the performance of the cell phone. After
reading one bulletin board that has over 49 pages of about the good and
the bad issues after the fix, I would not try it - not willing to
possibly fry my phone.

Previously it was also noted that you could take the transmemory card
that fits the phone and transfer items that way, but that Verizon also
crushed that method.

So after ordering a USB cable, buying a trans memory card I find out I
am pretty much stuck.

Sad that Verizon is so greedy about the dollar.... One interview with a
Verizon Exec had her stating "SO" when asked about the customers not
being happy about having the features deactivated...

There is even a lawsuit going on in California in regard to Verizon and
the V710, but it appears Verizon will probably win. Even Motorola said
carriers can choose which features they want activated on the cell
network.

Just pretty sad............


--
westhillsat
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:52:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:52:44 +0100, westhillsat
<westhillsat.1qby17@mobile-forum.co.uk> wrote:


>
>Be careful if you are getting a Verizon V710 that is set up for the
>Verizon network. While it is a good phone, I have had one for about two
>weeks now, the downside is Verizon. Verizon has disabled pretty much all
>the great features such as being able to load your own wallpaper, ring
>tones and pictures from your computer. I have been reading about this
>for two days now as I had ordered a cable and could not get it to do
>much. What I have discovered from doing web searches is that Verizon
>appears to have done this so the customers have to "pay" Verizon to get
>Verizon's ringtones, games, pictures, etc.
>
>This has made me not too happy. Can't even download pictures we have
>taken on the camera directly to my computer.
>
>There appears to be "fixes" out there, but these "fixes" seem to have
>wide ranging effects on the performance of the cell phone. After
>reading one bulletin board that has over 49 pages of about the good and
>the bad issues after the fix, I would not try it - not willing to
>possibly fry my phone.
>
>Previously it was also noted that you could take the transmemory card
>that fits the phone and transfer items that way, but that Verizon also
>crushed that method.
>
>So after ordering a USB cable, buying a trans memory card I find out I
>am pretty much stuck.
>
>Sad that Verizon is so greedy about the dollar.... One interview with a
>Verizon Exec had her stating "SO" when asked about the customers not
>being happy about having the features deactivated...
>
>There is even a lawsuit going on in California in regard to Verizon and
>the V710, but it appears Verizon will probably win. Even Motorola said
>carriers can choose which features they want activated on the cell
>network.
>
>Just pretty sad............

Your facts are not entirely correct. You can transfer pictures to
the phone quite easily even with the latest software. If the picture
comes from a digital camera you must resize it to fit first.

There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
altering any software. Works perfectly for me.

Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:08:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

TeddeLI Wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:52:44 +0100, westhillsat
> <westhillsat.1qby17@mobile-forum.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >Be careful if you are getting a Verizon V710 that is set up for the
> >Verizon network. While it is a good phone, I have had one for about
> two
> >weeks now, the downside is Verizon. Verizon has disabled pretty much
> all
> >the great features such as being able to load your own wallpaper,
> ring
> >tones and pictures from your computer. I have been reading about this
> >for two days now as I had ordered a cable and could not get it to do
> >much. What I have discovered from doing web searches is that Verizon
> >appears to have done this so the customers have to "pay" Verizon to
> get
> >Verizon's ringtones, games, pictures, etc.
> >
> >This has made me not too happy. Can't even download pictures we have
> >taken on the camera directly to my computer.
> >
> >There appears to be "fixes" out there, but these "fixes" seem to have
> >wide ranging effects on the performance of the cell phone. After
> >reading one bulletin board that has over 49 pages of about the good
> and
> >the bad issues after the fix, I would not try it - not willing to
> >possibly fry my phone.
> >
> >Previously it was also noted that you could take the transmemory card
> >that fits the phone and transfer items that way, but that Verizon
> also
> >crushed that method.
> >
> >So after ordering a USB cable, buying a trans memory card I find out
> I
> >am pretty much stuck.
> >
> >Sad that Verizon is so greedy about the dollar.... One interview with
> a
> >Verizon Exec had her stating "SO" when asked about the customers not
> >being happy about having the features deactivated...
> >
> >There is even a lawsuit going on in California in regard to Verizon
> and
> >the V710, but it appears Verizon will probably win. Even Motorola
> said
> >carriers can choose which features they want activated on the cell
> >network.
> >
> >Just pretty sad............
>
> Your facts are not entirely correct. You can transfer pictures to
> the phone quite easily even with the latest software. If the picture
> comes from a digital camera you must resize it to fit first.
>
> There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
> transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
> altering any software. Works perfectly for me.
>
> Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.

Sorry if I started an arguement.

back to my question. Is the vx8000 preferred over the v710 now, I have
heard this from many people. The VZ people say v710 people are tradin up
to the 8000?


--
kutscher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t177789.html
June 9, 2005 6:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <kutscher.1qbrby@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
kutscher.1qbrby@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...
>
> Proconsul Wrote:
> > In news:cf9ea1harua9cvrfdaur1biah1kutf8mqq@4ax.com,
> > ken <noone_special@yahoo.com> typed:
> > | Have other people had dropped call problems with the v710?
> >
> > Never - including driving across country through more than twenty
> > states.....
> >
> > PC
>
> So I am told by the local verizon store to go with the 8000. they say
> just as good for coverage with much better software and picture
> options. They said the problem with the v710 is its trimode function.
> In any area with both digital and analog, that I will drop calls all
> the time since the phone will not know which service to pick up?? I
> have never heard this. But today my wife had 3 dropped calls on her
> vx6100 in a supposed all digital area. She was not moving just standing
> and talking.
> Thanks
>
>
> --
> kutscher
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t177789.html
>
>
My v710 moves smoothely from digital to analog to digital etc. when I'm
in a low signal area. Yes, the analog has some static, but not terrible
- and it doesn't drop the call.

Perhaps you should try one and see how it goes in your particular area -
you have 14 days to return it and change to the other.

Louise
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:27:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Louise Wrote:
> In article <kutscher.1qbrby@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
> kutscher.1qbrby@nospam.cellphoneforums.net says...
> >
> > Proconsul Wrote:
> > > In news:cf9ea1harua9cvrfdaur1biah1kutf8mqq@4ax.com,
> > > ken <noone_special@yahoo.com> typed:
> > > | Have other people had dropped call problems with the v710?
> > >
> > > Never - including driving across country through more than twenty
> > > states.....
> > >
> > > PC
> >
> > So I am told by the local verizon store to go with the 8000. they
> say
> > just as good for coverage with much better software and picture
> > options. They said the problem with the v710 is its trimode
> function.
> > In any area with both digital and analog, that I will drop calls all
> > the time since the phone will not know which service to pick up?? I
> > have never heard this. But today my wife had 3 dropped calls on her
> > vx6100 in a supposed all digital area. She was not moving just
> standing
> > and talking.
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > --
> > kutscher
> >
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
> > View this thread: http://tinyurl.com/8xq6s
> >
> >
> My v710 moves smoothely from digital to analog to digital etc. when
> I'm
> in a low signal area. Yes, the analog has some static, but not
> terrible
> - and it doesn't drop the call.
>
> Perhaps you should try one and see how it goes in your particular area
> -
> you have 14 days to return it and change to the other.
>
> Louise

I am on day 4 of the 710, off to Boston from South Dakota for a few
days. We will see how I like it.

E


--
kutscher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t177789.html
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:54:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

TeddeLI Wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:52:44 +0100, westhillsat
> westhillsat.1qby17@mobile-forum.co.uk wrote:
>
> -
>
> Be careful if you are getting a Verizon V710 that is set up for the
> Verizon network. While it is a good phone, I have had one for about
> two
> weeks now, the downside is Verizon. Verizon has disabled pretty much
> all
> the great features such as being able to load your own wallpaper, ring
> tones and pictures from your computer. I have been reading about this
> for two days now as I had ordered a cable and could not get it to do
> much. What I have discovered from doing web searches is that Verizon
> appears to have done this so the customers have to "pay" Verizon to
> get
> Verizon's ringtones, games, pictures, etc.
>
> This has made me not too happy. Can't even download pictures we have
> taken on the camera directly to my computer.
>
> There appears to be "fixes" out there, but these "fixes" seem to have
> wide ranging effects on the performance of the cell phone. After
> reading one bulletin board that has over 49 pages of about the good
> and
> the bad issues after the fix, I would not try it - not willing to
> possibly fry my phone.
>
> Previously it was also noted that you could take the transmemory card
> that fits the phone and transfer items that way, but that Verizon also
> crushed that method.
>
> So after ordering a USB cable, buying a trans memory card I find out I
> am pretty much stuck.
>
> Sad that Verizon is so greedy about the dollar.... One interview with
> a
> Verizon Exec had her stating "SO" when asked about the customers not
> being happy about having the features deactivated...
>
> There is even a lawsuit going on in California in regard to Verizon
> and
> the V710, but it appears Verizon will probably win. Even Motorola said
> carriers can choose which features they want activated on the cell
> network.
>
> Just pretty sad............-
>
> Your facts are not entirely correct. You can transfer pictures to
> the phone quite easily even with the latest software. If the picture
> comes from a digital camera you must resize it to fit first.
>
> There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
> transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
> altering any software. Works perfectly for me.
>
> Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.

I have since found that some of the V710's can use the trans memory
card, I tried mine and did get that to work. Using the card reader on
my computer I can transfer the ringtones and pictures to the trans
memory card and then copy from the card to the phone memory. There are
many who can not get that to work on their phone. I emailed Motorola
specifically about using their software Music Studio, and they stated
there is no way to transfer using that, here is their answer:

"Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support. We really appreciate
your interest in our brand and our products.

Regarding your concern, we regret to inform you that the media files
protocol has been restricted by your carrier on the V710 for which you
will not be able to transfer sounds or pictures from your phone to any
other device or vice versa. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this information has been of your help and we remain at your
entire disposal for any further questions you may wish to ask.

For further information regarding this or any other subject, please do
not hesitate to visit our website www.motorola.com or contact our
Customer Care Center at 1-800-331-6456, where one of our agents will be
happy to assist you. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from
7am to 10pm CST and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 6pm CST.

Thank you for allowing us to be of your assistance.

Best regards,"


--
westhillsat
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:15:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:54:17 +0100, westhillsat
<westhillsat.1qg9lt@mobile-forum.co.uk> graced this newsgroup with:

>
>TeddeLI Wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:52:44 +0100, westhillsat
>> westhillsat.1qby17@mobile-forum.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> -
>>
>> Be careful if you are getting a Verizon V710 that is set up for the
>> Verizon network. While it is a good phone, I have had one for about
>> two
>> weeks now, the downside is Verizon. Verizon has disabled pretty much
>> all
>> the great features such as being able to load your own wallpaper, ring
>> tones and pictures from your computer. I have been reading about this
>> for two days now as I had ordered a cable and could not get it to do
>> much. What I have discovered from doing web searches is that Verizon
>> appears to have done this so the customers have to "pay" Verizon to
>> get
>> Verizon's ringtones, games, pictures, etc.
>>
>> This has made me not too happy. Can't even download pictures we have
>> taken on the camera directly to my computer.
>>
>> There appears to be "fixes" out there, but these "fixes" seem to have
>> wide ranging effects on the performance of the cell phone. After
>> reading one bulletin board that has over 49 pages of about the good
>> and
>> the bad issues after the fix, I would not try it - not willing to
>> possibly fry my phone.
>>
>> Previously it was also noted that you could take the transmemory card
>> that fits the phone and transfer items that way, but that Verizon also
>> crushed that method.
>>
>> So after ordering a USB cable, buying a trans memory card I find out I
>> am pretty much stuck.
>>
>> Sad that Verizon is so greedy about the dollar.... One interview with
>> a
>> Verizon Exec had her stating "SO" when asked about the customers not
>> being happy about having the features deactivated...
>>
>> There is even a lawsuit going on in California in regard to Verizon
>> and
>> the V710, but it appears Verizon will probably win. Even Motorola said
>> carriers can choose which features they want activated on the cell
>> network.
>>
>> Just pretty sad............-
>>
>> Your facts are not entirely correct. You can transfer pictures to
>> the phone quite easily even with the latest software. If the picture
>> comes from a digital camera you must resize it to fit first.
>>
>> There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
>> transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
>> altering any software. Works perfectly for me.
>>
>> Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.
>
>I have since found that some of the V710's can use the trans memory
>card, I tried mine and did get that to work. Using the card reader on
>my computer I can transfer the ringtones and pictures to the trans
>memory card and then copy from the card to the phone memory. There are
>many who can not get that to work on their phone. I emailed Motorola
>specifically about using their software Music Studio, and they stated
>there is no way to transfer using that, here is their answer:
>
>"Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support. We really appreciate
>your interest in our brand and our products.
>
>Regarding your concern, we regret to inform you that the media files
>protocol has been restricted by your carrier on the V710 for which you
>will not be able to transfer sounds or pictures from your phone to any
>other device or vice versa. We apologize for any inconvenience.
>
>We hope this information has been of your help and we remain at your
>entire disposal for any further questions you may wish to ask.
>
>For further information regarding this or any other subject, please do
>not hesitate to visit our website www.motorola.com or contact our
>Customer Care Center at 1-800-331-6456, where one of our agents will be
>happy to assist you. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from
>7am to 10pm CST and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 6pm CST.
>
>Thank you for allowing us to be of your assistance.
>
>Best regards,"


All I did was email my ringtones and wallpaper via vzwpix.com
(e.g. <yourphonenumber>@vzwpix.com.

Attach the ringtone and/or wallpaper to the email message (ringtones
need to be in .mid format).

When you get the email on the phone, save the attachment as a ringtone
or wallpaper.

No brainer.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:16:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

ggg wrote:
> I don't know any owners of the 710 who don't prefer the 8000.

Yeah odd here too, I like LG's handsets...hmm...no v710 is still better!

Unfortunately the new aGPS Mot phone OS seems to have tucked away the
digital-only menu option so it doesn't even show up in the debug menus
anymore. Seems to have been that way since the t720, what an abortion of
a phone that was.

Anyways, Another nice bonus of the 710 over the LG 8000 is a real
bona-fide antenna. In weak coverage areas it still kicks the butt off a
stub anyday.

The motospeak voice recognition is to die for, (although I'm sure it
doesn't work good for everyone) it very rarely screws up for me and is
so much more convenient to use than the old-fashioned training-required
voice recognition. (Although it is kinda funny having to phonetically
pronounce names like its own voice does to get certain words to be
recognized, like "china wok" needs to be pronounced "cheeeeeehna wok,"
this could be fixed by phonetically spelling names in one's addressbook
versus their real-world pronunciation but I haven't myself because I'm a
spelling nut.)

As for the firmware-crippling memory card issue. Don't hold me to this,
but I bought a new v710 at a RadioShack last week and their v710s in
stock were "fresh/new" but still running the original v710 firmware,
sans crippled memory card interface. This v710 seemed to sync up fine
via USB cable with the Motorola PhoneTools too. I'd check a local shack,
preferrably a low-volume (small) store because their stock won't be
replenished as often and check the phone's firmware version before
purchasing. (Thing is the price there's higher than verizon stores so
pick your poison, unlocked FW or cheap phone and find a friend that can
flashhack...which honestly isn't hard to do but if you don't know what
you are doing or are worried, murphy's law says something'll probably
get screwed up.)

The downies - which most users won't notice. Sometimes the phone will
freak and all your images will be corrupt and display with an [x] in
place of them until you reboot the phone, (or say an image is corrupt
when it's not really) and sometimes when starting up or shutting it down
you get presented with a home screen full of faded white garbage instead
of the usual useful information. This could be a pile of bugs solved
in the newer firmware however, I haven't looked too closely to compare yet.

Overall it is my favorite handset of any carrier. The UI is responsive
enough to keep up with me, a rarity in cell phones and a big enough
reason to ignore the above mentioned image glitches. The speakerphone
works great and can actually be heard, earpiece is also great, bluetooth
headset support is superb. Bluetooth internet connection for laptops is
great too. Calls connect fast, holds good signal even in weak areas.
(Again in my experience, my section of Michigan has decent reception
almost everywhere but there are still coverage "black holes.") Finally,
nothing says useful (and cool) like being able to just leave your
handset tucked away on your belt, turn on your bluetooth headset and
call anybody in your phone book, any number you can dream up, and hang
up on those calls without having to go find your handset and push
buttons. Makes driving much safer IMO. Just click the voice button on
the headset and magic happens!

Skuzz
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:23:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

MP3s are so much more fun though ^.^ I have a nice instrumental MP3
ringer that the phone's MIDI synth couldn't touch.

Skuzz

HarleyVA@nospam.net wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:54:17 +0100, westhillsat
> <westhillsat.1qg9lt@mobile-forum.co.uk> graced this newsgroup with:
>
>
>>TeddeLI Wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:52:44 +0100, westhillsat
>>>westhillsat.1qby17@mobile-forum.co.uk wrote:
>>>
>>>-
>>>
>>>Be careful if you are getting a Verizon V710 that is set up for the
>>>Verizon network. While it is a good phone, I have had one for about
>>>two
>>>weeks now, the downside is Verizon. Verizon has disabled pretty much
>>>all
>>>the great features such as being able to load your own wallpaper, ring
>>>tones and pictures from your computer. I have been reading about this
>>>for two days now as I had ordered a cable and could not get it to do
>>>much. What I have discovered from doing web searches is that Verizon
>>>appears to have done this so the customers have to "pay" Verizon to
>>>get
>>>Verizon's ringtones, games, pictures, etc.
>>>
>>>This has made me not too happy. Can't even download pictures we have
>>>taken on the camera directly to my computer.
>>>
>>>There appears to be "fixes" out there, but these "fixes" seem to have
>>>wide ranging effects on the performance of the cell phone. After
>>>reading one bulletin board that has over 49 pages of about the good
>>>and
>>>the bad issues after the fix, I would not try it - not willing to
>>>possibly fry my phone.
>>>
>>>Previously it was also noted that you could take the transmemory card
>>>that fits the phone and transfer items that way, but that Verizon also
>>>crushed that method.
>>>
>>>So after ordering a USB cable, buying a trans memory card I find out I
>>>am pretty much stuck.
>>>
>>>Sad that Verizon is so greedy about the dollar.... One interview with
>>>a
>>>Verizon Exec had her stating "SO" when asked about the customers not
>>>being happy about having the features deactivated...
>>>
>>>There is even a lawsuit going on in California in regard to Verizon
>>>and
>>>the V710, but it appears Verizon will probably win. Even Motorola said
>>>carriers can choose which features they want activated on the cell
>>>network.
>>>
>>>Just pretty sad............-
>>>
>>>Your facts are not entirely correct. You can transfer pictures to
>>>the phone quite easily even with the latest software. If the picture
>>>comes from a digital camera you must resize it to fit first.
>>>
>>>There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
>>>transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
>>>altering any software. Works perfectly for me.
>>>
>>>Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.
>>
>>I have since found that some of the V710's can use the trans memory
>>card, I tried mine and did get that to work. Using the card reader on
>>my computer I can transfer the ringtones and pictures to the trans
>>memory card and then copy from the card to the phone memory. There are
>>many who can not get that to work on their phone. I emailed Motorola
>>specifically about using their software Music Studio, and they stated
>>there is no way to transfer using that, here is their answer:
>>
>>"Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support. We really appreciate
>>your interest in our brand and our products.
>>
>>Regarding your concern, we regret to inform you that the media files
>>protocol has been restricted by your carrier on the V710 for which you
>>will not be able to transfer sounds or pictures from your phone to any
>>other device or vice versa. We apologize for any inconvenience.
>>
>>We hope this information has been of your help and we remain at your
>>entire disposal for any further questions you may wish to ask.
>>
>>For further information regarding this or any other subject, please do
>>not hesitate to visit our website www.motorola.com or contact our
>>Customer Care Center at 1-800-331-6456, where one of our agents will be
>>happy to assist you. Our business hours are Monday through Friday from
>>7am to 10pm CST and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 6pm CST.
>>
>>Thank you for allowing us to be of your assistance.
>>
>>Best regards,"
>
>
>
> All I did was email my ringtones and wallpaper via vzwpix.com
> (e.g. <yourphonenumber>@vzwpix.com.
>
> Attach the ringtone and/or wallpaper to the email message (ringtones
> need to be in .mid format).
>
> When you get the email on the phone, save the attachment as a ringtone
> or wallpaper.
>
> No brainer.
>
>
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:33:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You cannot transfer ringtones via the transflash card. You can get the
sound file onto the phone but there is no option to use it as a ringtone.

The info in the Howard forum is old and out of date.

Please prove me wrong on this...

m-m


> >>>There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
> >>>transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
> >>>altering any software. Works perfectly for me.
> >>>
> >>>Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 10:28:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

M-M wrote:
> You cannot transfer ringtones via the transflash card. You can get the
> sound file onto the phone but there is no option to use it as a ringtone.
>
> The info in the Howard forum is old and out of date.
>
> Please prove me wrong on this...
>
> m-m
>
>>>>>There is a very simple workaround for transferring ringtones from your
>>>>>transflash card to your phone. It does not involve any cables or
>>>>>altering any software. Works perfectly for me.
>>>>>
>>>>>Search the Howard forums to see how to transfer ringtones.

While the menu item to move the audio file from TF to the phone's memory
has been disabled in the current software, the technique being
referred to is to send the ringtone on the TF as a MMS message to a
bogus phone number (e.g., 555-555-5555), when when it fails, the
ringtone will be in the outbox, from which it can be saved as a
ringtone. But only if it is small enough, and of the right format (an
MP3 file renamed [not converted!] to a .mid file, I think). The HoFo
thread has specifics, and noone has said that it no longer works.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:59:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <rnhve.3971$Bx6.2809@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

> While the menu item to move the audio file from TF to the phone's memory
> has been disabled in the current software, the technique being
> referred to is to send the ringtone on the TF as a MMS message to a
> bogus phone number (e.g., 555-555-5555), when when it fails, the
> ringtone will be in the outbox, from which it can be saved as a
> ringtone. But only if it is small enough, and of the right format (an
> MP3 file renamed [not converted!] to a .mid file, I think). The HoFo
> thread has specifics, and noone has said that it no longer works.

I saw something different on the Howard forum, that did not work. I am
not familiar with MMS messaging. Is there a cost involved?

m-m
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:13:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <rnhve.3971$Bx6.2809@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

> While the menu item to move the audio file from TF to the phone's memory
> has been disabled in the current software, the technique being
> referred to is to send the ringtone on the TF as a MMS message to a
> bogus phone number (e.g., 555-555-5555), when when it fails, the
> ringtone will be in the outbox, from which it can be saved as a
> ringtone. But only if it is small enough, and of the right format (an
> MP3 file renamed [not converted!] to a .mid file, I think). The HoFo
> thread has specifics, and noone has said that it no longer works.

It does work! Thanks!

m-m
!