Athlon MP coolers, dual processor coolers

Choppaface

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
hey, I have a dual 1900+ athlon MP box with what appears to be this Asus mobo:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=09&m=A7M266-D#

anyways, the box is really, really loud, its got a pair of 6000rpm coolermasters on what look like OEM heat sinks (got the box from alienware a while ago).... anyways I was wondering if there were any recommended coolers I could put on this thing to make it a bit quiter.... I'd like to put a pair of Zalman CNPS6000-Cu's on (the copper 'flower' heat sink) but I'm not sure if they would fit, and even if they did if they'd keep up with the dual 1900s (my case has room for four chassis fans plus the PSU, so I could always just add fans...).

on a side note, does anybody know if there are any dual xeon or dual opteron boards that might fit a pair of Zalman CNPS7000's, or are they just too big?

thanks for any help

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
you might be able to fit the zalman heatsinks, just make sure that you have a least around each socket to fit them, though i wouldn't really go for a zalman heatsink in there... why not a swiftech mcx462-V, or thermalright SLK947 with a good fan .. and yeah, you need to chassis fans, thats probably why your stock fans are running so fast/loud

<b>and now for something completely different</b>
...<b><A HREF="http://bytethiscomputers.sytes.net/site/specs.html" target="_new">system specs</A></b>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Try the Vantec Aeroflow.

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.276G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 4x256 4000EL memory @ 252mhz 2.5-3-4-6 -XFX 5900 128meg 570/1040 -SB audigy -2x120G Seagate 7200.7 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
if you arn't overclocking (as i dont suspect you are) why dont you just pick up new fans...any fan between 30-35db should be much quieter than what you are running.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
I agree with piii_Man, if your not overclocking, just get some quieter fans. I've got a pair of MP 1500's and the fans I had on the heats sinks were some little 60mm. During a trip to CompUSA I found some quieter 80mm fans and some 60mm to 80mm fan funnels. Can't remember what it cost me, but I imagine if you looked on the internet you could find this stuff for cheaper. Took all of about 15 minutes to install and I didn't even have to take the motherboard out of the case. I beleive I increase the CFM's going over my heatsinks and they were quite a bit quieter. With a fan bus controller for the case fans, my comp is quiet enough that nobody can complain about the noise.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

Choppaface

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
no, I'm not overclocking, it doesnt seem there are mp boards that'll do it with the 1900s...

there are slots for two chassis fans near where the two processors are on the mobo... are the thermalright heatsinks effective enough to use without fans on them and instead use two chassis fans (e.g. panaflo 80mm's), or do they really need fans on them? also, is it right that the fan just sort of clips onto the thermalright heatsink......like is that safe for when the computer is moved?

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Oc'ing a mp.. i like the sounds of that. do any mobo's support it?

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1752623717" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1752623717</A>
45.5k mark? 85 dollars went a long way. So did that extra 15 dollars for cooling my video card.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you have 60x60 mm heatsinks ditch them and get a pair of something larger. Nobody should have to put up with 6000 RPM fans these days.

I personally wouldn't install dual copper heatsinks but there are some nice Al/Cu hybrids. Today such heatsinks are usually cheap and good at least for stock speed cooling. When I say cheap I'm talking about $10 (USD) each.

If you have room for 80x80 mm heatsinks (not all mobos do) they are so much quieter than the old heatsink. Even if the rated noise level is the same, the larger, slower turning fans just sound so much better, less irritating, and yet they can provide better performance.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
I've got a MSI K7D Master-L and yes it allows overclocking. But not very much, it only allows you to overclock in big steps, not 1 mhz steps. Server boards go for stability not speed so I guess you don't see it much. Tried it myself for a little bit and then my harddrive hiccuped. Need to play with it again.

<font color=blue><b>Purchase object A, install object A, curse object A, repeat...</b></font color=blue>

ImpPatience

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
I was looking at rackmount servers that had dual processor boards the other day. Some of them just use the chassis fans - although they use some plastic thingys to route the air from the chassis fans directly over the processors.

As for the Thermalright heatsinks, yes the fans just clip on - I have a Thermalright SLK-947U on another computer and the fan has stayed put during the lan parties I've gone to with it. Before you buy two Thermalrights, make sure they can fit on your motherboard. At least mine was pretty big and almost didn't fit on the board I am using.

But I would think about what phsstpok said first before you get some Thermalrights. Besides, those Thermalrights can be expensive.

AndrewW

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
I also have the Master-L board.

I have overclocked both the FSB and the GPU. But then again I wanted a quiet PC so I went with water cooling!