Sanity of Using an Old Analog Bag Phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 25, 2004 9:18:58 AM

Would I get better reception in outlying areas that have spotty
reception, if I kept a backup analog bag phone in the car? Don't these
have 3 watts of send and receive power?

Can analog bag phones still be purchased new?

Any particular brands that are the best? Motorola? Audiovox?
Panasonic?

Thanks,
Dan
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 8:18:57 PM

>Would I get better reception in outlying areas that have spotty
>reception, if I kept a backup analog bag phone in the car? Don't these
>have 3 watts of send and receive power?

Reception - not necessarily but if there is ANY service, the AMPS phone might
be the only way to get it.

No, they have a maximum of 3 watts transmit. Receive is a function of the
location of the tower, the distance you are from that tower and the antenna
system that you have.

>Can analog bag phones still be purchased new?

I haven't seen a NEW AMPS only phones in a LONG time (maybe 10 years).

>Any particular brands that are the best? Motorola? Audiovox?
>Panasonic?

Best is difficult to define - you pretty much have to make that decision.
Motorola junk is typically very rugged and in a lot of instances the salesmen
even dropped or otherwise mistreated their phones to emphasize this point when
calling on cellular carriers.

Since you are going to have to buy used, I would say get what you can find if
the need is immediate.

--
John S.
April 25, 2004 8:40:40 PM

I would never refer to my old Motorola bag phone as junk. It's in my
18-wheeler for when I need it out in the boonies and break down. The 10
inch antenna gave me coverage from Detroit to San Fran with only about 5 min
without service the whole way. Of course, all I might receive is 911 or the
credit card prompt, but that's all I would need in those circumstances.

Chris

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >Would I get better reception in outlying areas that have spotty
> >reception, if I kept a backup analog bag phone in the car? Don't these
> >have 3 watts of send and receive power?
>
> Reception - not necessarily but if there is ANY service, the AMPS phone
might
> be the only way to get it.
>
> No, they have a maximum of 3 watts transmit. Receive is a function of the
> location of the tower, the distance you are from that tower and the
antenna
> system that you have.
>
> >Can analog bag phones still be purchased new?
> >

> I haven't seen a NEW AMPS only phones in a LONG time (maybe 10 years).
>
> >Any particular brands that are the best? Motorola? Audiovox?
> >Panasonic?
>
> Best is difficult to define - you pretty much have to make that decision.
> Motorola junk is typically very rugged and in a lot of instances the
salesmen
> even dropped or otherwise mistreated their phones to emphasize this point
when
> calling on cellular carriers.
>
> Since you are going to have to buy used, I would say get what you can find
if
> the need is immediate.
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
April 26, 2004 1:26:31 AM

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in message news:<20040425121857.00117.00000249@mb-m12.aol.com>...

> I haven't seen a NEW AMPS only phones in a LONG time (maybe 10 years).

More like six. I was an SBMS dealer in Kansas City still selling
brand new Nokia 252s and 282s in the beginning of 1998. SBMS launched
TDMA service in KC that February. (With the Nokia 2160 and Motorola
M75... ugh!)
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:16:11 PM

2000 in the Wash DC market from what I remember.
It's pretty much an E-Bay thing for AMPS only phones now.
That's where I got my last couple of BAG phones from.

Scotty

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D e37a2e0.0404252026.7b088e1e@posting.google.com...
> sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in message
>
> > I haven't seen a NEW AMPS only phones in a LONG time (maybe 10 years).
>
> More like six. I was an SBMS dealer in Kansas City still selling
> brand new Nokia 252s and 282s in the beginning of 1998. SBMS launched
> TDMA service in KC that February. (With the Nokia 2160 and Motorola
> M75... ugh!)
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 5:26:06 AM

Will a bag phone have better transmit and receive than something like
a Nokia 6349i or any other handheld with analog capability?

Thanks again,
Dan
!