Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not stay asleep

Last response: in Windows 8
November 3, 2012 9:40:51 PM

when I place the computer in sleep mode it stays asleep for about 20 seconds then awakes never had this issue with Windows 7 or XP.

Appreciate any adivce on to fix the problem. Carl

More about : computer stay asleep

a b * Windows 8
November 4, 2012 1:00:58 AM

Need a bit more info before we can really start digging into this. Start with your system specs. CPU, Motherboard, video card, amount of ram, hard drive (or solid state) model, etc.
m
l
November 4, 2012 12:47:50 PM

Intel Processor I 7-2600CPU
8 GB Ram
64 bit operating system
DELL - XPS
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
November 4, 2012 1:39:54 PM

puccie said:
when I place the computer in sleep mode it stays asleep for about 20 seconds then awakes never had this issue with Windows 7 or XP.

Appreciate any adivce on to fix the problem. Carl

Unplug your ethernet cable from your network ethernet card and see if the problem goes away. If it does then I would suspect wake on LAN settings are enabled for the network card and no magic packet required to wake.
m
l
November 12, 2012 3:49:41 PM

johnbl said:
Unplug your ethernet cable from your network ethernet card and see if the problem goes away. If it does then I would suspect wake on LAN settings are enabled for the network card and no magic packet required to wake.

Ill give it a try thanks and let you know. Again Thanks

Carl
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 5:17:35 PM

it could be that it actually does not go to sleep because software services and refuse the sleep request. This happens when you run something that shares a video stream for other devices. Like Windows Media center.
you can run powercfg.exe /Energy as a admin and look at the report in your c:\windows\system32\error-report.html file and it will list the service that told it not to shut down. Then you have to make configuration changes. (stop sharing your media for example)
m
l
November 16, 2012 11:57:04 PM

I think I had a variation on this problem.

When I am done using my Win8 desktop for the day, I often want to completely power it off.

A few days ago, I changed the configuration so that I would not have to enter the password at boot. Once I did that, the regular Shut down, such as you can get from the Settings charm, or by clicking in the lower right corner after Ctrl-Alt-Delete, did not fully shut down. This was not just when Microsoft was pushing updates, but all the time.

The solution was to create, and use, a desktop shutdown shortcut such as described here:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-...

m
l
!