Sign in with
Your question

PS3 emulator?

Last response: in Video Games
January 24, 2013 8:28:59 PM

Hi,
Do any PS3 emulators already exist? At least some that can play only a few games?
And If so Can I have a link?

More about : ps3 emulator

January 24, 2013 10:16:09 PM

No ...LOL...they dont
January 24, 2013 10:55:22 PM

Haha, no. It's doubtful we're going to be seeing them any time soon, either - the PS3 in particular has an odd combination of decently powerful CPU with many threads and mid-range graphics card....

Until someone with the ingenuity and time codes an emulator that takes massive advantage of a GPU's compute ability, we're not going to be seeing PS3 or XBox emulators.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 11, 2013 9:55:21 AM

Yes there is a PS3 emulator
Just go to http://ps3.emulatorx.info/
I'm not sure how good it is, as I will only be trying it myself sometime over the next day or so.
Will post again once I've tried it out.
March 11, 2013 11:59:51 AM

Jo Smith said:
Yes there is a PS3 emulator
Just go to http://ps3.emulatorx.info/
I'm not sure how good it is, as I will only be trying it myself sometime over the next day or so.
Will post again once I've tried it out.

That can only run the bios. It can't run games. It's years upon years away from being able to run games. Don't bother posting it.
March 14, 2013 1:40:50 AM

I read a lot about it lately on http://hackingnation.org/ and i found that there are some updated versions which are actually released just this year. I am coming home this weekend and i will try to test the one or at least i will go through some other forums to learn more about ps3 emulators , so far im happy with ps2 :D 
March 15, 2013 7:51:30 AM

If one did exist, you'd spend more than the cost of a PS3 on system upgrades to make it run.
March 15, 2013 4:48:02 PM

I've been looking as well and very skeptical about all these "downloads" these youtubers are disputing. There is a very good chance of them being a virus. I think it's much safer to buy the actual ps3 in this day and age.
March 16, 2013 3:47:48 AM

lookerup said:
I've been looking as well and very skeptical about all these "downloads" these youtubers are disputing. There is a very good chance of them being a virus. I think it's much safer to buy the actual ps3 in this day and age.

It's been said unequivocally on this forum more than once that there is a PS3 emulator that can run the bios. That's it. That's a lightyear away from running games, and to translate that into running a PS3 game in an emulator (by both refining the emulator and advances in hardware) you're looking at many years down the road. Just let there be no doubt that if you download a PS3 emulator expecting to play games with it, you're not making a smart choice.

March 17, 2013 9:59:57 AM

I know, these type of threads are on other forums too. Response is basically the same.
April 8, 2013 12:29:56 PM

I'm a bit confused on why the lot of you are saying that emulator is "lightyears" from running ANY games. The site itself says it can already run a handful of games in its first release and it can already run some games, God of War 3 with full functionality. Where are you guys getting your knowledge of how long an emulator will take?
April 9, 2013 5:37:53 AM

JustinC said:
I'm a bit confused on why the lot of you are saying that emulator is "lightyears" from running ANY games. The site itself says it can already run a handful of games in its first release and it can already run some games, God of War 3 with full functionality. Where are you guys getting your knowledge of how long an emulator will take?

In my case? Being a minor developer for PCSX2 (the Playstation 2 emulator). And without even looking at it, I call BS.

/thread.
April 10, 2013 3:07:13 PM

well it took many years to make one ps2 emulator and it still can't run games with full efficiency. PS3 is still in production hence i highly doubt we will be able to see an emulator for at least 4-5 years
April 11, 2013 12:29:43 PM

Building a good PS3 emulator requires a crazy computer. Not only will it require to emulate all 7 cores (kinda) for the PS3 but running a console game is much different than running a PC game. These console don't require as much raw horse power as their predecessors did, and running games well with low specs requires special integrated hardware. Maybe in 5 years or so we have good 12-core gaming CPUs, and a 5GHZ clocked GPU that can emulate current games with raw horse power.
April 23, 2013 6:10:48 PM

My goodness, do some research people!! Its Here now not lightyears! HERE!!! NOW!!! Jesus Christ, I am so tired of people who don't know posting in forums about subjects they aren't on top of. Here's an idea, If you really don't know, then dont post and make a thread 1500 pages long full of bs.

Its Called XMBPC by SvenGDK
google it find it download it love it

Peace,
Mr. kNOw 1
April 23, 2013 6:17:57 PM

Aiden Brownlee said:
My goodness, do some research people!! Its Here now not lightyears! HERE!!! NOW!!! Jesus Christ, I am so tired of people who don't know posting in forums about subjects they aren't on top of. Here's an idea, If you really don't know, then dont post and make a thread 1500 pages long full of bs.

Peace,
Mr. kNOw 1

Aside from your... interesting... posting style, and the fact that your name and forum name are totally different, I'll humour you.

When I get off work I'll download and attempt to run this in an isolated environment.

April 24, 2013 7:18:38 AM

I love it when people say its impossible, many of you should be more open-minded...this is not' the 1800's and by saying "it's impossible", "You can't" is retarded. Now if anyone of you said something like: "The knowledge requires is vast" then I understand. If anyone wanted to build a system (FROM SCRATCH i.e: BUILDING YOUR OWN PC COMPONENTS)to run all 7 cores and actually program this sucker by themselves to make a ps3 emulator optimized for the windows operating system, they could, but hey, we're getting lazier and not productive. :) 
April 24, 2013 9:44:47 AM

DarkSable said:
Aiden Brownlee said:

Peace,
Mr. kNOw 1

Aside from your... interesting... posting style, and the fact that your name and forum name are totally different, I'll humour you.

When I get off work I'll download and attempt to run this in an isolated environment.

so did it work for you cause all i see is modding a ps3
April 24, 2013 9:46:33 AM

Aiden Brownlee said:

Peace,
Mr. kNOw 1

I think that web site mods ps3 not emulators on pc
April 24, 2013 9:48:10 AM

I would like to know have anyone found a ps3 emulator
April 24, 2013 10:04:50 AM

cooldex said:
I would like to know have anyone found a ps3 emulator

I'd like to know if anyone found aliens in Roswell?

Stop asking stupid questions. No. There is only a program that can run the PS3 bios. It cannot play retail PS3 games or isos. We're years away from it being able to do so. Feel free to download it, but go to a different forum for help with your trojans and rootkits.

And before you say, "but hey it's not a stupid question!" Yes, yes it is. There is a 20 post thread with people including someone with PCSX2 development experience telling you that it's a stupid question.
April 24, 2013 10:08:53 AM

Not yet. All of them are fakes.
April 24, 2013 10:36:53 AM

Can we drop this already?
May 3, 2013 1:48:15 PM

casualcolors said:
lookerup said:

It's been said unequivocally on this forum more than once that there is a PS3 emulator that can run the bios. That's it. That's a lightyear away from running games, and to translate that into running a PS3 game in an emulator (by both refining the emulator and advances in hardware) you're looking at many years down the road. Just let there be no doubt that if you download a PS3 emulator expecting to play games with it, you're not making a smart choice.

lightyears is a unit of distance :p 
May 3, 2013 3:32:08 PM

Neellohit Basu said:

Hey now, it could have been correct. There might be aliens out there who can emulate a PS3. You never know. :p 

May 3, 2013 5:04:03 PM

DarkSable said:
Neellohit Basu said:

Hey now, it could have been correct. There might be aliens out there who can emulate a PS3. You never know. :p 

Powder's playing MGS4 on PC as we speak.
June 26, 2013 8:18:11 AM

I wouldn't say it will be a long time before you can play your ps3 games on your PC.

I found one here: http://playstation3emulator.net/

It's probably not close to a perfect emulator, but it will be a long time before any stunning ps3 emulation happens.
June 26, 2013 8:23:57 AM

...Can we end this thread now? Because I'm imagining waves of people in the near future demanding xbox one and PS4 emulators because "they're built like computers."
June 26, 2013 9:15:54 AM

DarkSable said:
...Can we end this thread now? Because I'm imagining waves of people in the near future demanding xbox one and PS4 emulators because "they're built like computers."

sounds good.

Idk if it will be easy to make a ps4 emulator. The system RAM is gddr5, which suggests that it is shared between the system and the gpu. If the GPU is set up with up to 8GB of gddr5, it will be noticably more powerful than the xbox, take a bit more coding to work out less gpu ram in the emulating PC, and there will need to be system requirements set up to ensure that people don't expect too much out of the emulator.
June 26, 2013 9:29:48 AM

lol thinking about playing the last of us? its getting some crazy good reviews
June 26, 2013 12:13:19 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
Idk if it will be easy to make a ps4 emulator. The system RAM is gddr5, which suggests that it is shared between the system and the gpu. If the GPU is set up with up to 8GB of gddr5, it will be noticably more powerful than the xbox, take a bit more coding to work out less gpu ram in the emulating PC, and there will need to be system requirements set up to ensure that people don't expect too much out of the emulator.

Too late to call a conspiracy theory designed to sell Titans? ;) 

June 26, 2013 12:37:29 PM

DarkSable said:

Too late to call a conspiracy theory designed to sell Titans? ;) 

wat?
June 26, 2013 5:57:48 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
wat?

Sorry, it was late at night, and I wasn't thinking real clearly.

I was telling myself a story about how that was obviously a conspiracy theory - Nvidia and sony teamed up with each other. Nvidia found out that the ps4 would be moderately easy to emulate, and told sony to use a lot of GDDR5 memory in the next PS4, right before releasing the Titan; i.e. the only graphics card with enough VRAM to come close to the PS4 for emulation.

So yeah, that's the explanation... I sort of forgot you wouldn't be able to follow from one sentence.
July 1, 2013 11:30:03 PM

Will 4 GTX TITANS be enough?
July 1, 2013 11:40:34 PM

skelly32x said:
Will 4 GTX TITANS be enough?

Nope. You'd have to buy four for yourself, and four for whomever you're going to pay large amounts of money to develop the software to emulate with. It's not a matter of "computers don't have enough power to get up to the level of magnitude necessary to emulate," it's a matter of, "The ps3 is so freaking badly designed nobody has the time nor inclination to write a program to emulate it well."
July 2, 2013 8:18:03 AM

The PS3 isn't awful to design; if you put your back into it you can crack it. The Ps3 was already hacked (and if it's hacked it can be emulated) but it's just a lack of someone going the extra mile and just doing it.
July 4, 2013 1:06:45 AM

ShindoSensei said:
The PS3 isn't awful to design; if you put your back into it you can crack it. The Ps3 was already hacked (and if it's hacked it can be emulated) but it's just a lack of someone going the extra mile and just doing it.

*sigh*

Again: the PS3 design is VERY hard to emulate. Effectively, its a 7 core processor, with a high speed data cache the CPU's get "fed" instructions from. Very hard to emulate this type of system, even if you had infinite processing power. And we don't by the way; the software locks you would need to prevent corruption (remember: You need to maintain the states to SEVEN CPU units, while keeping the memory state sane. NOT easy to do; one CPU gets too far ahead, bam, you corrupted memory.) kill performance. Thats why the best we have is emulation of the BIOS, since that only requires a single CPU unit. Little more then a PPC to X86 conversion.

360 is easier to do, as its architecture is more sane, but its still a 3 core CPU with 2-way SMT; same issues as above. (Nevermind, that like the attempted Xbox emulator a few years back, MSFT will flip. Not a fight worth fighting.)
July 4, 2013 11:38:37 AM

This thread has been active for 6 months HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA
July 10, 2013 2:01:40 PM

I would love instead that the Devs would realize the PC Gaming industry is an important niche nowadays and start porting the games to PC, which is much much easier than to emulate a PS3.
July 10, 2013 3:35:31 PM

DarkSable said:
Haha, no. It's doubtful we're going to be seeing them any time soon, either - the PS3 in particular has an odd combination of decently powerful CPU with many threads and mid-range graphics card....

Until someone with the ingenuity and time codes an emulator that takes massive advantage of a GPU's compute ability, we're not going to be seeing PS3 or XBox emulators.

Powerful isn't part of the equation
July 14, 2013 12:16:14 AM

So who's right ? : )
Is PS3 Emu a loch ness monster or a real thing ???? I read the whole thread and still didn't find any clear answer... The guys saying it's already up and running could you just post a valid link to DL it ? (and please, no survey BS scam, thanks)
July 15, 2013 5:43:28 AM

The only PS3 emulator out there can barely emulate the BIOS, and can't play any commercial games.
July 16, 2013 2:15:51 PM

Food for thought: instead of debating if there is an emulator that can work; make your own damn emulator that can work on just about any gaming PC. Just be sure to share it ;D

I'd be willing to help!
July 17, 2013 11:54:15 AM

meowmix44 said:
DarkSable said:

Powerful isn't part of the equation

Gpu ram is a stumbling point, though
July 23, 2013 5:11:51 PM

I have a working emulator... but every rom I download is for running on a ps3.. can't find out how to load the game into my emulator.. anyone know?
July 23, 2013 8:56:56 PM

nick90944 said:
I have a working emulator... but every rom I download is for running on a ps3.. can't find out how to load the game into my emulator.. anyone know?

Are you sure its working? You should be able to select an ISO to run of the game
July 24, 2013 10:40:07 AM

For the last time: It doesn't exist.

The only one in existence can (barely) load the BIOS.
July 27, 2013 10:56:33 AM

I think systems up to the PS2 were worth the effort of emulation. This excludes the XBOX. The reason for this is backwards compatibility of a single console, I buy the next gen of each console with the expectation of backwards compatibility as I usually sell the previous one back (exchange) or sell online. PCSX2 was justified because of the non-backwards compatibility of the PS3 (after the first console release) and the fact that I have to buy my PS1 games I already have on CD back on the PS3 is stupid so thats why I would emulate. In every other aspect it is not worth it and I think you should just buy the consoles
August 5, 2013 4:44:42 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
I wouldn't say it will be a long time before you can play your ps3 games on your PC.

I found one here: http://playstation3emulator.net/

It's probably not close to a perfect emulator, but it will be a long time before any stunning ps3 emulation happens.

Did anyone actually try this one out? How well does it run?
!