PS3 emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, no. It's doubtful we're going to be seeing them any time soon, either - the PS3 in particular has an odd combination of decently powerful CPU with many threads and mid-range graphics card....

Until someone with the ingenuity and time codes an emulator that takes massive advantage of a GPU's compute ability, we're not going to be seeing PS3 or XBox emulators.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I've been looking as well and very skeptical about all these "downloads" these youtubers are disputing. There is a very good chance of them being a virus. I think it's much safer to buy the actual ps3 in this day and age.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

It's been said unequivocally on this forum more than once that there is a PS3 emulator that can run the bios. That's it. That's a lightyear away from running games, and to translate that into running a PS3 game in an emulator (by both refining the emulator and advances in hardware) you're looking at many years down the road. Just let there be no doubt that if you download a PS3 emulator expecting to play games with it, you're not making a smart choice.

JustinC

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I'm a bit confused on why the lot of you are saying that emulator is "lightyears" from running ANY games. The site itself says it can already run a handful of games in its first release and it can already run some games, God of War 3 with full functionality. Where are you guys getting your knowledge of how long an emulator will take?

In my case? Being a minor developer for PCSX2 (the Playstation 2 emulator). And without even looking at it, I call BS.

/thread.

ryes

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
well it took many years to make one ps2 emulator and it still can't run games with full efficiency. PS3 is still in production hence i highly doubt we will be able to see an emulator for at least 4-5 years

ShindoSensei

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Building a good PS3 emulator requires a crazy computer. Not only will it require to emulate all 7 cores (kinda) for the PS3 but running a console game is much different than running a PC game. These console don't require as much raw horse power as their predecessors did, and running games well with low specs requires special integrated hardware. Maybe in 5 years or so we have good 12-core gaming CPUs, and a 5GHZ clocked GPU that can emulate current games with raw horse power.

QUOTED SPAM REDACTED - SS

Aside from your... interesting... posting style, and the fact that your name and forum name are totally different, I'll humour you.

When I get off work I'll download and attempt to run this in an isolated environment.

Eviil

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
I love it when people say its impossible, many of you should be more open-minded...this is not' the 1800's and by saying "it's impossible", "You can't" is retarded. Now if anyone of you said something like: "The knowledge requires is vast" then I understand. If anyone wanted to build a system (FROM SCRATCH i.e: BUILDING YOUR OWN PC COMPONENTS)to run all 7 cores and actually program this sucker by themselves to make a ps3 emulator optimized for the windows operating system, they could, but hey, we're getting lazier and not productive. :)

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012

so did it work for you cause all i see is modding a ps3

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012

I think that web site mods ps3 not emulators on pc

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I'd like to know if anyone found aliens in Roswell?

Stop asking stupid questions. No. There is only a program that can run the PS3 bios. It cannot play retail PS3 games or isos. We're years away from it being able to do so. Feel free to download it, but go to a different forum for help with your trojans and rootkits.

And before you say, "but hey it's not a stupid question!" Yes, yes it is. There is a 20 post thread with people including someone with PCSX2 development experience telling you that it's a stupid question.

Neellohit Basu

Honorable
May 3, 2013

lightyears is a unit of distance :p

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Powder's playing MGS4 on PC as we speak.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I wouldn't say it will be a long time before you can play your ps3 games on your PC.

I found one here: REDACTED - SS

It's probably not close to a perfect emulator, but it will be a long time before any stunning ps3 emulation happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.