MB Bios settings-please help!!!

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Basically I am planning to overclock my Athlon 2500XP to the 3200XP speeds on an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MB with 2X256 Corsair 3200PC XMS memory. (Dual channel; 3200LLPT)

After reading the OC guide here at THG and ASUS MB manual it looks to me that I shouldn't have any problem raising the CPU External Freq. to 200MHz in increments of 5 (according to the manual A7N8X-E doesn't seem to have increments of 4)

What confuses me though are the next 2 options in the Advanced Chipset Feautures menu.

1. System Performance [optimal]:
The field permits change of mode for system performance. When set to optimal the system uses the most stable settings. When you want to use overclocked settings for highr performance but with higher risk of instability, set to [agressive] and to allow full customization of performance set to [user defined]

2.CPU Interface[optimal]
This field sets the mode for CPU/FSB parameters usage. Select [agressive]if you want to use overclocked CPU/FSB parameters. Otherwise, the default value is [optimal] where it uses the most stable CPU/FSB parameters.

So, although this sounds very self-explanatory I was wondering if I should change both settings to agressive at the same moment I start the first incrament of 5, or only once i raised my frequency to the desired 200MHz.
Furthermore, do I even change those settings to agressive at all, since I nowhere read anything about it, and people seem to be merely changing the CPU external freq. (I don't recall anybody saying anything about setting CPU interface or System Performance to agressive, although could that be because it is self-explanatory / specific MB related?)

Thanks in advance,
DrAmar

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
It has been a little while since I had my A7N8X board but if memory servs the system performance and cpu interface should probably be set to aggressive at first unless you run into instability. Don't forget to raise the vcore if nesissary, I wouldn't go higher than 1.675 if you are using air cooling though. Raising the vcore increases heat output dramatically. Always check your temps before doing anything after upping the vcore. If you want to raise the vcore a bunch then your next learning experience can be installing a liquid cooling system :)

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks folken,

I'll do that.

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Don't have ur board (see my sig) but:

"1. System Performance [optimal]:
The field permits change of mode for system performance. When set to optimal the system uses the most stable settings. When you want to use overclocked settings for highr performance but with higher risk of instability, set to [agressive] and to allow full customization of performance set to [user defined]"

This (the above) looks to be ram timing settings. I would suggest using "optimal". After acheiving stable OC, go back and tighten up the timings. Don't start your OC with aggresive timings, ram probs amy occur as you up the FSB.

2.CPU Interface[optimal]
This field sets the mode for CPU/FSB parameters usage. Select [agressive]if you want to use overclocked CPU/FSB parameters. Otherwise, the default value is [optimal] where it uses the most stable CPU/FSB parameters.

This IIRC effects the 1T or 2T timings in ram. Aggresive is for 1t, optimal is for 2T. My board offers the same option, I didn't notice a diff when doing my OC

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE