WD SATA drive question

I just purchased a WD (Model WD1600) SATA hard drive for my Gateway 710X in
order to add a Linux partition plus extra storage. However, upon printing
out their (WD's) installation guide I ran into a little question ie. the say
that either Win2000 or WINXP is required for the drive. Does anyone know if
this is an inherent problem with SATA drives themselves or could it
potentially be one regarding partitioning/formatting software for them?

TIA for any info,
Tom

You will need Linux drivers for the SATA controller.

"Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just purchased a WD (Model WD1600) SATA hard drive for my Gateway 710X
in
> order to add a Linux partition plus extra storage. However, upon printing
> out their (WD's) installation guide I ran into a little question ie. the
say
> that either Win2000 or WINXP is required for the drive. Does anyone know
if
> this is an inherent problem with SATA drives themselves or could it
> potentially be one regarding partitioning/formatting software for them?
>
> TIA for any info,
> Tom

Even if the controller is on the mother board ie. not an addin?

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> You will need Linux drivers for the SATA controller.
>

> "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I just purchased a WD (Model WD1600) SATA hard drive for my Gateway 710X
> in
> > order to add a Linux partition plus extra storage. However, upon
printing
> > out their (WD's) installation guide I ran into a little question ie. the
> say
> > that either Win2000 or WINXP is required for the drive. Does anyone
know
> if
> > this is an inherent problem with SATA drives themselves or could it
> > potentially be one regarding partitioning/formatting software for them?
> >
> > TIA for any info,
> > Tom

They all use the same controller chip, unless it's a chipset based
controller. I'm not a Linux fan, but I can tell you that SATA will not run
in Windows without a driver. It does run in DOS though.

Check with the maker of your controller chip. Odds are that you have a SIL
3112 controller, and Silicone Image has Linux drivers listed for both RAID
and non-RAID.