Which WIFI service?

So I'm trying to make some choices...I want to get portable WIFI in
Manhattan for my laptop. Apparently VZW doesn't offer WIFI only
access. It's either air card or nothing. The air card costs $90 per
month plus the usual unknown taxes, surcharges, etc. Considering they
have WIFI all over Manhattan, it seems that not offering this service
is ridiculous. Then again, given VZW's recent incompetence this
doesn't surprise me. You can't keep believing that customers will
continue to buy into the same "but we have the best quality service by
far" diatribe indefinitely.

Cingular and tmobile both offer service. However, it seems exorbitant
to pay $40/month for WIFI that works only in specified areas and I'm
sure there are better deals out there. I do know that Sprint's air
cards are also in limbo right now since new cards are coming out, much
faster, etc. and current cards are not available anywhere.

What are all of you doing? Unless the service seems practical, getting
locked into a one year contract is not really a good decision,
especially with new air cards and protocols. I'm trying to balance the
WIFI vs. air card decision and am a little challenged since the
limited WIFI seems to cost so much... at the moment. Thanks for
sharing your knowledge and opinions.

Mike
32 answers Last reply
More about which wifi service

    I just found the following. The folks at Verizon Wireless are so dumb.

    Given that tmobile is cleaning up at Starbucks around the city,
    Verizon has the ability to offer the same service for less. Instead,
    it's all going away by June 30th. Per a DSL rep I spoke to, the other
    services may not be fully available by then and that customers should
    use other services that provide access. Well... once I go to tmobile
    or another company, I'm not coming back to VZW so fast you genuises!

    I'm guessing that when Verizon has it's air card services available at
    high speed (maybe they do) it will be at a far higher price than
    competitors. I'm sure the $80 won't get you as far as Sprint -- one
    reason I'm moving my wireless phone to Sprint too. No need to pay
    three times the amount for virtually the same service...

    Anyone using these services?

    JSOUL dot com wrote:
    > I just found the following. The folks at Verizon Wireless are so dumb.
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120647,00.asp
    >
    > Given that tmobile is cleaning up at Starbucks around the city,
    > Verizon has the ability to offer the same service for less. Instead,
    > it's all going away by June 30th. Per a DSL rep I spoke to, the other
    > services may not be fully available by then and that customers should
    > use other services that provide access. Well... once I go to tmobile
    > or another company, I'm not coming back to VZW so fast you genuises!
    >
    > I'm guessing that when Verizon has it's air card services available at
    > high speed (maybe they do) it will be at a far higher price than
    > competitors. I'm sure the $80 won't get you as far as Sprint -- one
    > reason I'm moving my wireless phone to Sprint too. No need to pay
    > three times the amount for virtually the same service...
    >
    > Anyone using these services?

    You better consider asking a lot of q's before you waste your money.. I've
    been using wifi and running several hotspots for years, and guess what..
    they are usually FREE (unless you get something like tmobile that will ONLY
    connect with their hotspots rather than the millions of others out there).

    Not sure where you got your T-mobile info, but, I have the 29.90 unlimited
    data plan usable at all T-mobile "hotspots" (Starbucks, FedEx-Kinkos, etc).
    Works at T-1 speeds. I like it. There sure are lots of Starbucks and
    Kinkos around :). There are numerous other locations too, bookstores, etc.
    I don't now them all.

    I'd prefer an VZW add-on plan but there is no such thing as reasonable
    prices.

    -Frank

    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm trying to make some choices...I want to get portable WIFI in
    > Manhattan for my laptop. Apparently VZW doesn't offer WIFI only
    > access. It's either air card or nothing. The air card costs $90 per
    > month plus the usual unknown taxes, surcharges, etc. Considering they
    > have WIFI all over Manhattan, it seems that not offering this service
    > is ridiculous. Then again, given VZW's recent incompetence this
    > doesn't surprise me. You can't keep believing that customers will
    > continue to buy into the same "but we have the best quality service by
    > far" diatribe indefinitely.
    >
    > Cingular and tmobile both offer service. However, it seems exorbitant
    > to pay $40/month for WIFI that works only in specified areas and I'm
    > sure there are better deals out there. I do know that Sprint's air
    > cards are also in limbo right now since new cards are coming out, much
    > faster, etc. and current cards are not available anywhere.
    >
    > What are all of you doing? Unless the service seems practical, getting
    > locked into a one year contract is not really a good decision,
    > especially with new air cards and protocols. I'm trying to balance the
    > WIFI vs. air card decision and am a little challenged since the
    > limited WIFI seems to cost so much... at the moment. Thanks for
    > sharing your knowledge and opinions.
    >
    > Mike

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:48:51 -0700, "Peter Pan"
    <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

    >JSOUL dot com wrote:
    >> I just found the following. The folks at Verizon Wireless are so dumb.
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120647,00.asp
    >>
    >> Given that tmobile is cleaning up at Starbucks around the city,
    >> Verizon has the ability to offer the same service for less. Instead,
    >> it's all going away by June 30th. Per a DSL rep I spoke to, the other
    >> services may not be fully available by then and that customers should
    >> use other services that provide access. Well... once I go to tmobile
    >> or another company, I'm not coming back to VZW so fast you genuises!
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that when Verizon has it's air card services available at
    >> high speed (maybe they do) it will be at a far higher price than
    >> competitors. I'm sure the $80 won't get you as far as Sprint -- one
    >> reason I'm moving my wireless phone to Sprint too. No need to pay
    >> three times the amount for virtually the same service...
    >>
    >> Anyone using these services?
    >
    >You better consider asking a lot of q's before you waste your money.. I've
    >been using wifi and running several hotspots for years, and guess what..
    >they are usually FREE (unless you get something like tmobile that will ONLY
    >connect with their hotspots rather than the millions of others out there).

    I don't know of any free wifi hotspots, especially not in NYC. Like
    others, you can jack into hotspots in several areas by jumping onto
    unsecured wireless routers (not me, of course.) However, you can only
    do that on luck and nothing reliable or definite.

    Verizon's used to be "free" to its DSL customers. However, Verizon
    Wireless is apparently turning them all off so that they can hook
    customers into their $80 (plus hidden costs) per month aircard
    services.

    At the moment I just signed up for a free day of tmobile's hotspot
    usage and may do it for a month until I figure out where I'm going to
    be. I don't know where all the spots are and I hope it's not only in
    Starbucks stores but also in other places around NYC. Anyone have
    suggestions?

    JSOUL dot com wrote:
    I don't know where all the spots are and I hope it's not only in
    > Starbucks stores but also in other places around NYC. Anyone have
    > suggestions?

    Since you said you have a notebook (to put the aircard in), why not look
    into the 802.11 a/b/or g Cardbus/pcmcia cards and see just how many there
    are around, and who owns/runs them, near where you will be and if you are
    worried about paid or not? See who has the ones nearest where you are mostly
    at....

    The WiFi (802.11 stuff) is estimated to currently have about 30 MILLION open
    nodes/waps in the US at the moment (tmobile runs about 3000 of them out of
    that 30 million)

    If nothing else, check the newsgroup alt.internet.wireless.

    Peter Pan wrote:

    > You better consider asking a lot of q's before you waste your money.. I've
    > been using wifi and running several hotspots for years, and guess what..
    > they are usually FREE (unless you get something like tmobile that will ONLY
    > connect with their hotspots rather than the millions of others out there).

    It depends. Companies ARE allowed to make money using their hotspots,
    y'know. :) And some do. The convenience factor is worth money to some people.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

    It's $40 per month, month to month, with tmobile, $30/mo. for a one
    year commitment. I'll have to check the locations in NYC and see how
    extensive they are. Thanks for your comments and yes, VerizonWireless
    has no clue what reasonable wireless Internet access prices should be.

    JSOUL dot com wrote:
    > It's $40 per month, month to month, with tmobile, $30/mo. for a one
    > year commitment. I'll have to check the locations in NYC and see how
    > extensive they are. Thanks for your comments and yes, VerizonWireless
    > has no clue what reasonable wireless Internet access prices should be.

    I think they might. Consider if you aren't able to park yourself in a
    hotspot you get this exciting service level:

    The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS).
    GPRS is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables
    you to access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.

    > The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). GPRS
    > is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables you to
    > access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.

    This is bullshit. I have timed T-mobile's Hotspot speed using
    broadbandreports.com. They have full T-1 speed at each location. I can do
    downloads and uploads at 1.5Mbps consistently. T-1s don't have the overhead
    of the typical DSL circuit where a 1.5Mbps advertised link only provides
    about 1.2 or 1.3Mbps. And only one way at that. The upload on DSL is
    usually throttled to around 856kbps max.

    As for locations. Here in Denver, Colorado there are 50 Hotspot locations
    within 50 miles.

    Check your own City here:

    http://locator.t-mobile.com/locator.aspx?searchType=hotspotLocations

    -Frank

    Correction... the site in the link I posted below only shows 50 max. on any
    search. Turns out, in Denver, there are 18 Hotspots within 2 miles radius.
    31 Hotspots within 5 miles and 50 (or more) within 20 miles. Plenty for me!
    :)

    -Frank

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). GPRS
    >> is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables you to
    >> access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.
    >
    > This is bullshit. I have timed T-mobile's Hotspot speed using
    > broadbandreports.com. They have full T-1 speed at each location. I can
    > do downloads and uploads at 1.5Mbps consistently. T-1s don't have the
    > overhead of the typical DSL circuit where a 1.5Mbps advertised link only
    > provides about 1.2 or 1.3Mbps. And only one way at that. The upload on
    > DSL is usually throttled to around 856kbps max.
    >
    > As for locations. Here in Denver, Colorado there are 50 Hotspot locations
    > within 50 miles.
    >
    > Check your own City here:
    >
    > http://locator.t-mobile.com/locator.aspx?searchType=hotspotLocations
    >
    > -Frank

    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote:

    >> The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). GPRS
    >> is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables you to
    >> access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.
    >
    >This is bullshit. I have timed T-mobile's Hotspot speed using
    >broadbandreports.com. They have full T-1 speed at each location. I can do
    >downloads and uploads at 1.5Mbps consistently. T-1s don't have the overhead
    >of the typical DSL circuit where a 1.5Mbps advertised link only provides
    >about 1.2 or 1.3Mbps. And only one way at that. The upload on DSL is
    >usually throttled to around 856kbps max.

    Right, but he was talking about the non-hotspot (wifi) t-mobile service.
    The phone network based service is reputed to be slow.

    --
    Jack Hamilton
    California

    Try Boingo -- $21.95/month for unlimited access. You can check their
    website for NYC locations.

    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm trying to make some choices...I want to get portable WIFI in
    > Manhattan for my laptop. Apparently VZW doesn't offer WIFI only
    > access. It's either air card or nothing. The air card costs $90 per
    > month plus the usual unknown taxes, surcharges, etc. Considering they
    > have WIFI all over Manhattan, it seems that not offering this service
    > is ridiculous. Then again, given VZW's recent incompetence this
    > doesn't surprise me. You can't keep believing that customers will
    > continue to buy into the same "but we have the best quality service by
    > far" diatribe indefinitely.
    >
    > Cingular and tmobile both offer service. However, it seems exorbitant
    > to pay $40/month for WIFI that works only in specified areas and I'm
    > sure there are better deals out there. I do know that Sprint's air
    > cards are also in limbo right now since new cards are coming out, much
    > faster, etc. and current cards are not available anywhere.
    >
    > What are all of you doing? Unless the service seems practical, getting
    > locked into a one year contract is not really a good decision,
    > especially with new air cards and protocols. I'm trying to balance the
    > WIFI vs. air card decision and am a little challenged since the
    > limited WIFI seems to cost so much... at the moment. Thanks for
    > sharing your knowledge and opinions.
    >
    > Mike

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:44:56 -0700, "Peter Pan"
    <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

    >JSOUL dot com wrote:
    > I don't know where all the spots are and I hope it's not only in
    >> Starbucks stores but also in other places around NYC. Anyone have
    >> suggestions?
    >
    >Since you said you have a notebook (to put the aircard in), why not look
    >into the 802.11 a/b/or g Cardbus/pcmcia cards and see just how many there
    >are around, and who owns/runs them, near where you will be and if you are
    >worried about paid or not? See who has the ones nearest where you are mostly
    >at....
    >
    >The WiFi (802.11 stuff) is estimated to currently have about 30 MILLION open
    >nodes/waps in the US at the moment (tmobile runs about 3000 of them out of
    >that 30 million)
    >
    >If nothing else, check the newsgroup alt.internet.wireless.

    Great suggestion. Will do that.

    Addressing your other points, my neighbor's WiFi is open but it is
    inaccessible from the street. In most areas, unless you can jack into
    an open router there is no free wifi. In many cafes you won't be able
    to connect (or you will but won't be assigned an IP address.) So
    while I appreciate the statistics, that's all they are -- estimated
    statistics but no practical, reliable usage. The best I heard so far
    was tmobile's plan in NYC since VerizonWireless is apparently shutting
    down all their spots.

    I've just found out that VZW's aircard will likely cost in the
    hundreds of dollars per month (you pay air charges too.) I'm wondering
    what others pay on Sprint and Cingular and whether anyone has heard of
    upcoming deals. I mostly need it for email with occasional surfing.
    Full broadband speed is not necessary.

    I think you are correct. I had a very good connection in Starbucks
    today on my "test" 24 hour period. It's extremely usable for email and
    basic web surfing. I don't know how many hotspots there are in NYC and
    I'll have to check. While we all joke about the ubiquitous Starbucks
    they still aren't everywhere and sometimes not where you'd like them
    most, e.g. the parks areas.

    Thanks for the good news. For now I'm not thrilled with $40 per month
    but at least there will be no air charges and there may be enough of
    them to keep me happy. There is none at my local Cosi though... ah
    well...

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:17:51 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
    wrote:

    >Correction... the site in the link I posted below only shows 50 max. on any
    >search. Turns out, in Denver, there are 18 Hotspots within 2 miles radius.
    >31 Hotspots within 5 miles and 50 (or more) within 20 miles. Plenty for me!
    >:)
    >
    >-Frank
    >
    >"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >>> The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). GPRS
    >>> is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables you to
    >>> access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.
    >>
    >> This is bullshit. I have timed T-mobile's Hotspot speed using
    >> broadbandreports.com. They have full T-1 speed at each location. I can
    >> do downloads and uploads at 1.5Mbps consistently. T-1s don't have the
    >> overhead of the typical DSL circuit where a 1.5Mbps advertised link only
    >> provides about 1.2 or 1.3Mbps. And only one way at that. The upload on
    >> DSL is usually throttled to around 856kbps max.
    >>
    >> As for locations. Here in Denver, Colorado there are 50 Hotspot locations
    >> within 50 miles.
    >>
    >> Check your own City here:
    >>
    >> http://locator.t-mobile.com/locator.aspx?searchType=hotspotLocations
    >>
    >> -Frank

    Great, great suggestion. Thanks. They have approximately 100
    connections in NYC, which isn't a lot but may be sufficient. At $22 on
    a month to month that is definitely doable. Second month is free too.
    There is also a location at my neighborhood Cosi, much better than
    Stabucks where all you get is coffee.

    THIS was a gem... many thanks!

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:36:17 -0400, "tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:

    >Try Boingo -- $21.95/month for unlimited access. You can check their
    >website for NYC locations.
    >
    >"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    >> So I'm trying to make some choices...I want to get portable WIFI in
    >> Manhattan for my laptop. Apparently VZW doesn't offer WIFI only
    >> access. It's either air card or nothing. The air card costs $90 per
    >> month plus the usual unknown taxes, surcharges, etc. Considering they
    >> have WIFI all over Manhattan, it seems that not offering this service
    >> is ridiculous. Then again, given VZW's recent incompetence this
    >> doesn't surprise me. You can't keep believing that customers will
    >> continue to buy into the same "but we have the best quality service by
    >> far" diatribe indefinitely.
    >>
    >> Cingular and tmobile both offer service. However, it seems exorbitant
    >> to pay $40/month for WIFI that works only in specified areas and I'm
    >> sure there are better deals out there. I do know that Sprint's air
    >> cards are also in limbo right now since new cards are coming out, much
    >> faster, etc. and current cards are not available anywhere.
    >>
    >> What are all of you doing? Unless the service seems practical, getting
    >> locked into a one year contract is not really a good decision,
    >> especially with new air cards and protocols. I'm trying to balance the
    >> WIFI vs. air card decision and am a little challenged since the
    >> limited WIFI seems to cost so much... at the moment. Thanks for
    >> sharing your knowledge and opinions.
    >>
    >> Mike

    Make sure to check out that link I provided for T-mobile hotspot locations.
    NYC has tons of spots (I checked). I'd guess only about 1/2 are Starbucks.
    The other half are other places. Kinkos has a lot (now teamed with FedEx).
    Plus... tons of bookstores.

    JSOUL dot com <tkd__in__the__city@REMOVE_yahoo_SPAM_.com> wrote in

    > I don't know of any free wifi hotspots, especially not in NYC. Like
    > others, you can jack into hotspots in several areas by jumping onto
    > unsecured wireless routers (not me, of course.) However, you can only
    > do that on luck and nothing reliable or definite.

    Many of the public parks (Bryant, Bowling Green, City Hall, the one on 23rd
    and Madison and others) have free hotspots. Check out www.nycwireless.net
    for others.

    > > Verizon's used to be "free" to its DSL customers. However, Verizon
    > Wireless is apparently turning them all off so that they can hook
    > customers into their $80 (plus hidden costs) per month aircard
    > services.

    It may have been free for DSL customers, but, the info on their web site
    always said something like "free for now... but we may charge for this in
    the future" or some such verbiage.

    They recently dropped the cost of their National Access unlimited plan to
    $59. This is not the higher speed Broadband service, which still costs $80.

    J O E L

    On 9 Jun 2005 00:47:31 GMT, Joel <jr@ATjraskin.com> wrote:

    >JSOUL dot com <tkd__in__the__city@REMOVE_yahoo_SPAM_.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I don't know of any free wifi hotspots, especially not in NYC. Like
    >> others, you can jack into hotspots in several areas by jumping onto
    >> unsecured wireless routers (not me, of course.) However, you can only
    >> do that on luck and nothing reliable or definite.
    >
    >Many of the public parks (Bryant, Bowling Green, City Hall, the one on 23rd
    >and Madison and others) have free hotspots. Check out www.nycwireless.net
    >for others.

    Good info although most of these hotspots are not anywhere near
    midtown or uptown and are scattered around the boroughs. It's only 123
    spots and not all are operational with many in the same spot. Bryant
    Park doesn't seem to be on the list any more...

    >> > Verizon's used to be "free" to its DSL customers. However, Verizon
    >> Wireless is apparently turning them all off so that they can hook
    >> customers into their $80 (plus hidden costs) per month aircard
    >> services.
    >
    >It may have been free for DSL customers, but, the info on their web site
    >always said something like "free for now... but we may charge for this in
    >the future" or some such verbiage.
    >
    >They recently dropped the cost of their National Access unlimited plan to
    >$59. This is not the higher speed Broadband service, which still costs $80.

    I called them today. They are moving all their service to EVDO
    apparently. As would be the case with VerizonWireless, I read the fine
    print next to the $80 per month broadband access and the number (1)
    tag says that you also pay .25 per minute for Quick 2 Net. Cost will
    be astronomical and likely in the hundreds of dollars per month...

    Frankster wrote:
    >>The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). GPRS
    >>is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables you to
    >>access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.
    >

    > This is bullshit. I have timed T-mobile's Hotspot speed using
    > broadbandreports.com. They have full T-1 speed at each location. I can do
    > downloads and uploads at 1.5Mbps consistently. T-1s don't have the overhead
    > of the typical DSL circuit where a 1.5Mbps advertised link only provides
    > about 1.2 or 1.3Mbps. And only one way at that. The upload on DSL is
    > usually throttled to around 856kbps max.

    Before you jump to conclusions reread what I wrote. Many people
    need/want decent connectivity away from hotspots. VZW has that. tmobile
    may be cheaper but they only have speeds "up to 56 Kbps" (10~14 Kbps
    typical) away from a hotspot.

    JSOUL dot com wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:44:56 -0700, "Peter Pan"
    > <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    >> JSOUL dot com wrote:
    >> I don't know where all the spots are and I hope it's not only in
    >>> Starbucks stores but also in other places around NYC. Anyone have
    >>> suggestions?
    >>
    >> Since you said you have a notebook (to put the aircard in), why not
    >> look into the 802.11 a/b/or g Cardbus/pcmcia cards and see just how
    >> many there are around, and who owns/runs them, near where you will
    >> be and if you are worried about paid or not? See who has the ones
    >> nearest where you are mostly at....
    >>
    >> The WiFi (802.11 stuff) is estimated to currently have about 30
    >> MILLION open nodes/waps in the US at the moment (tmobile runs about
    >> 3000 of them out of that 30 million)
    >>
    >> If nothing else, check the newsgroup alt.internet.wireless.
    >
    > Great suggestion. Will do that.
    >
    > Addressing your other points, my neighbor's WiFi is open but it is
    > inaccessible from the street. In most areas, unless you can jack into
    > an open router there is no free wifi. In many cafes you won't be able
    > to connect (or you will but won't be assigned an IP address.) So
    > while I appreciate the statistics, that's all they are -- estimated
    > statistics but no practical, reliable usage. The best I heard so far
    > was tmobile's plan in NYC since VerizonWireless is apparently shutting
    > down all their spots.
    >
    > I've just found out that VZW's aircard will likely cost in the
    > hundreds of dollars per month (you pay air charges too.) I'm wondering
    > what others pay on Sprint and Cingular and whether anyone has heard of
    > upcoming deals. I mostly need it for email with occasional surfing.
    > Full broadband speed is not necessary.

    Can't say for NYC. I live and travel in my RV (they aren't usually allowed
    or easily driveable in the city itself) and the WiFI/802.11x stuff is
    usually free elsewhere in the country, or at least in the south and west.
    Was in Vegas a few weeks ago and there were more than 1000 in the few blocks
    near me. You can usually pick up a card (802.11b, not the a or b/g) for
    about $10 (and no monthly fee).. may be worthwhile to at least try it.

    There is what is called an SSID (Service Set Identifier) that can be any
    text string (usually up to 32 characters).. Tmobile software ONLY allows
    connection to WAP's that have an SSID of Tmobile. There are millions of
    other ones with other names. A generic card (works with windows), and will
    see ALL of them, not just the tmobile ones. If one nearby happens to be a
    paid site, a "splash" screen usually comes up telling how to subscribe. With
    the plethora of people with cable modems or DSL, and a wireless wap/routers
    about $48 at walmart (linksys wrt54gs), and many cable and dsl companies
    give them away free, there are way more WAP's (Wireless Access Point) than
    you can imagine.

    visit www.jwire.com for a list of free and pay hot spots.

    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    | So I'm trying to make some choices...I want to get portable WIFI in
    | Manhattan for my laptop. Apparently VZW doesn't offer WIFI only
    | access. It's either air card or nothing. The air card costs $90 per
    | month plus the usual unknown taxes, surcharges, etc. Considering they
    | have WIFI all over Manhattan, it seems that not offering this service
    | is ridiculous. Then again, given VZW's recent incompetence this
    | doesn't surprise me. You can't keep believing that customers will
    | continue to buy into the same "but we have the best quality service by
    | far" diatribe indefinitely.
    |
    | Cingular and tmobile both offer service. However, it seems exorbitant
    | to pay $40/month for WIFI that works only in specified areas and I'm
    | sure there are better deals out there. I do know that Sprint's air
    | cards are also in limbo right now since new cards are coming out, much
    | faster, etc. and current cards are not available anywhere.
    |
    | What are all of you doing? Unless the service seems practical, getting
    | locked into a one year contract is not really a good decision,
    | especially with new air cards and protocols. I'm trying to balance the
    | WIFI vs. air card decision and am a little challenged since the
    | limited WIFI seems to cost so much... at the moment. Thanks for
    | sharing your knowledge and opinions.
    |
    | Mike

    The cafe in the grocery store I work in has a wifi spot available. I
    forget the details. It is free, you just ask the cashier for a code,
    but it is for a limited time.

    > I called them today. They are moving all their service to EVDO
    > apparently. As would be the case with VerizonWireless, I read the fine
    > print next to the $80 per month broadband access and the number (1)
    > tag says that you also pay .25 per minute for Quick 2 Net. Cost will
    > be astronomical and likely in the hundreds of dollars per month...

    Why would you be connecting to Q2N?

    I've been using my Aircard 555 for over 2 years and I've never needed to
    connect to the Q2N network anywhere in NYC - or in my travels to Tampa,
    Orlando, the Boca-Lauderdale-Miami corridor, or Vegas. While the plan
    that I just switched off of allowed for Q2N and voice calls, the
    connection is different and I would know if I'm connecting to Q2N
    instead of National Access.

    I think they may be steering new customers to EVDO since that's the
    current premium service. But, I think National Access is here to stay
    for the foreseeable future and, $59 for unlimited service is not bad at
    all. You may need to ask the rep to poke around in the system to find
    it, though. I switched from my old plan to the unlimited plan a few days
    ago and the rep had some trouble finding it in the system.

    One other thing to consider is the security offered by the networks.
    From what I've heard, most hotspots have little or no security. So, even
    if I'm at a free hotspot, I won't connect to any service that requires a
    password. I'll pop in the Aircard and connect using that instead - which
    I'm told is secure.

    ---
    J O E L

    >> The T-Mobile Internet plan uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS). GPRS
    >> is a slow-speed wireless data service (up to 56 Kbps) that enables you to
    >> access Internet and e-mail service wherever T-Mobile has coverage.
    >
    >This is bullshit. I have timed T-mobile's Hotspot speed using
    >broadbandreports.com. They have full T-1 speed at each location. I can do
    >downloads and uploads at 1.5Mbps consistently. T-1s don't have the overhead
    >of the typical DSL circuit where a 1.5Mbps advertised link only provides
    >about 1.2 or 1.3Mbps. And only one way at that. The upload on DSL is
    >usually throttled to around 856kbps max.
    >
    >As for locations. Here in Denver, Colorado there are 50 Hotspot locations
    >within 50 miles.
    >
    >Check your own City here:
    >
    >http://locator.t-mobile.com/locator.aspx?searchType=hotspotLocations
    >
    >-Frank

    Frank,
    It's not BS, it simply a different service that T-mobile
    provides--they do have other divisions of their business besides
    hotspots.

    You should reread Geoge's (pervious poster's) message (especially the
    part your snipped--"if you aren't able to park yourself in a hotspot")
    he was offering an *alternative* to hotspots.

    He has posted something about wireless internet provided via a cell
    phone technology (i.e. GPRS). "Wherever T-Mobile has coverage" was
    no doubt referring to T-Moble cellular coverage....

    GPRS is completely different technology than hotspots. Now here is
    *your* link: http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/intro.shtml

    Try to be cafeful of where you point that torch...good luck...scruff

    "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:5c5qe.455$Ub4.232@fe06.lga:

    > www.jwire.com

    What's the trick? The html only says:

    <HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0.1; URL=/">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
    </HEAD></HTML>

    What's it data mining?

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.

    The actual URL is http://www.jiwire.com/. Another good one is
    http://www.wififreespot.com/.

    "tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote in news:e-SdnVqvF-llEzTfRVn-gA@flxtek.net:

    > http://www.wififreespot.com/

    Thanks! That one works great....(c;

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.

    Boingo has been great so far. It has been perfect. For the price,
    month to month, the convenience and connection speed has been worth
    it. I hated hoping to find hotspots where I went and also couldn't
    rely on free ones where they were supposed to be. So far Boingo is in
    most Barnes and Nobles too. Really great...

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:20:16 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
    wrote:

    >Make sure to check out that link I provided for T-mobile hotspot locations.
    >NYC has tons of spots (I checked). I'd guess only about 1/2 are Starbucks.
    >The other half are other places. Kinkos has a lot (now teamed with FedEx).
    >Plus... tons of bookstores.
    >
    >-Frank
    >
    >"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Great, great suggestion. Thanks. They have approximately 100
    >> connections in NYC, which isn't a lot but may be sufficient. At $22 on
    >> a month to month that is definitely doable. Second month is free too.
    >> There is also a location at my neighborhood Cosi, much better than
    >> Stabucks where all you get is coffee.
    >>
    >> THIS was a gem... many thanks!
    >>
    >> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:36:17 -0400, "tgw" </dev/null@spam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Try Boingo -- $21.95/month for unlimited access. You can check their
    >>>website for NYC locations.
    >>>
    >>>"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message

    Great resource, thanks. Only lists 250 hotspots in the 5 boroughs and
    beyond in New York State. Boingo was the best choice but always good
    to know about these when others are unavailable nearby.

    > Boingo has been great so far. It has been perfect. For the price,
    > month to month, the convenience and connection speed has been worth
    > it. I hated hoping to find hotspots where I went and also couldn't
    > rely on free ones where they were supposed to be. So far Boingo is in
    > most Barnes and Nobles too. Really great...
    >
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:20:16 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Make sure to check out that link I provided for T-mobile hotspot
    >>locations.
    >>NYC has tons of spots (I checked). I'd guess only about 1/2 are Starbucks.
    >>The other half are other places. Kinkos has a lot (now teamed with
    >>FedEx).
    >>Plus... tons of bookstores.
    >>
    >>-Frank
    >>
    >>"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Great, great suggestion. Thanks. They have approximately 100
    >>> connections in NYC, which isn't a lot but may be sufficient. At $22 on
    >>> a month to month that is definitely doable. Second month is free too.
    >>> There is also a location at my neighborhood Cosi, much better than
    >>> Stabucks where all you get is coffee.
    >>>
    >>> THIS was a gem... many thanks!

    Also, in UPS Stores, several airports, many hotels, etc., etc., etc. They
    partner with several other providers -- Wayport, EarthLink, MCI. NEXTEL,
    .... -- for free roaming.

    "JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    > Boingo has been great so far. It has been perfect. For the price,
    > month to month, the convenience and connection speed has been worth
    > it. I hated hoping to find hotspots where I went and also couldn't
    > rely on free ones where they were supposed to be. So far Boingo is in
    > most Barnes and Nobles too. Really great...
    >
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:20:16 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Make sure to check out that link I provided for T-mobile hotspot
    >>locations.
    >>NYC has tons of spots (I checked). I'd guess only about 1/2 are Starbucks.
    >>The other half are other places. Kinkos has a lot (now teamed with
    >>FedEx).
    >>Plus... tons of bookstores.
    >>
    >>-Frank
    >>
    >>"JSOUL dot com" <tkdREMOVESPAMinthecity@yahSPAMoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Great, great suggestion. Thanks. They have approximately 100
    >>> connections in NYC, which isn't a lot but may be sufficient. At $22 on
    >>> a month to month that is definitely doable. Second month is free too.
    >>> There is also a location at my neighborhood Cosi, much better than
    >>> Stabucks where all you get is coffee.
    >>>
    >>> THIS was a gem... many thanks!

    If you really want to make a difference with what VZW offers, then you need
    to write your suggestion to the office of the president. While VZW monitors
    this web site, they monitor it for illegal sharing of confidential
    information. They are, as you said, "too dumb" to use this notes forum for
    anything positive. So, if you are willing, write a nice note with your
    suggestion to VZW, and then share with us their standard "template"
    response. I wish you well, good company, but with your ideas they could be
    awesome! dr
    --
    dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
    used to)

    >I just found the following. The folks at Verizon Wireless are so dumb.
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120647,00.asp
    >
    > Given that tmobile is cleaning up at Starbucks around the city,
    > Verizon has the ability to offer the same service for less. Instead,
    > it's all going away by June 30th. Per a DSL rep I spoke to, the other
    > services may not be fully available by then and that customers should
    > use other services that provide access. Well... once I go to tmobile
    > or another company, I'm not coming back to VZW so fast you genuises!
    >
    > I'm guessing that when Verizon has it's air card services available at
    > high speed (maybe they do) it will be at a far higher price than
    > competitors. I'm sure the $80 won't get you as far as Sprint -- one
    > reason I'm moving my wireless phone to Sprint too. No need to pay
    > three times the amount for virtually the same service...
    >
    > Anyone using these services?

Verizon WiFi and Home Networking Internet Service Providers