Norton Internet Security - Real installaion problems.

I have a real problem with Norton Internet Security.

I have now tried everything I can think of, checked Nortons website and
newsgroups and all I seem to have now is the opinion that Norton products
are very bad.

As for the problem, whenever I do a live update I get the following error:
"LiveUpdate must update Symantec Common Client. Please install the update
first, restart your computer, and run liveupdate again."

Then I get another error

Windows 98 4.10.2222 A NAV95 9.05

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on
this screen.
For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec
product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
-----------------------------------
File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\ccIMScan.dl^
104048 Bytes 8/19/2002 22:22:58 v9.0.0.1104.
File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\DefAlert.dl^
292472 Bytes 8/26/2002 22:35:40 v9.0.0.68.
File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NAVOpts.dl^
783992 Bytes 8/26/2002 22:36:22 v9.0.0.68.

And then I get a red cross on the following items
Norton Internet Security Program Updates
Norton Anti virus
With a LU1806 error code which states:

LU1806: LiveUpdate was not able to install any of the 1 updates that you
selected. For more information please click the "+" sign next to the
update(s) that did not install. All available updates were selected.

A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was
not applied.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried all the following (in various
orders...)

Uninstalling Liveupdate
Uninstalling AntiVirus
Uninstalling NIS

Using the two uninstall programs available from Symantec, I run these to
make sure they have been removed properly

I then delete the three of four folder files related to Norton (Live update,
Symantec, etc)
I then do a find files for NAV and NIS and remove any files - this removes
all the files in user data.

I check with MSConfig if there is anything still in the start-up and
normally there is still an entry for "NIS.exe" or something similar ( can't
remember the exact name)
I use Hijack this software to remove all Norton related entries and this
includes the above.
Running a reg wizard fixer to get rid of all broken Norton entries from
registry.

Then I try and reinstall, and still the same problem comes back to haunt me.

Can anyone help how to get a working installation of Norton Internet
Security back on to this Windows 98 SE IBM laptop PC. It's driving me mad.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
4 answers Last reply
More about norton internet security real installaion problems

    Dave Smithz said in news:40cb32a1$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk:
    > I have a real problem with Norton Internet Security.
    >
    > I have now tried everything I can think of, checked Nortons website
    > and newsgroups and all I seem to have now is the opinion that Norton
    > products are very bad.
    >
    > As for the problem, whenever I do a live update I get the following
    > error: "LiveUpdate must update Symantec Common Client. Please install
    > the update first, restart your computer, and run liveupdate again."
    >
    > Then I get another error
    >
    > Windows 98 4.10.2222 A NAV95 9.05
    >
    > LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.
    >
    > Please contact Technical Support and provide all information
    > displayed on this screen.
    > For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your
    > Symantec product.
    >
    > The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:
    > -----------------------------------
    > File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\ccIMScan.dl^
    > 104048 Bytes 8/19/2002 22:22:58 v9.0.0.1104.
    > File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\DefAlert.dl^
    > 292472 Bytes 8/26/2002 22:35:40 v9.0.0.68.
    > File: C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NAVOpts.dl^
    > 783992 Bytes 8/26/2002 22:36:22 v9.0.0.68.
    >

    > And then I get a red cross on the following items
    > Norton Internet Security Program Updates
    > Norton Anti virus
    > With a LU1806 error code which states:
    >
    > LU1806: LiveUpdate was not able to install any of the 1 updates that
    > you selected. For more information please click the "+" sign next to
    > the update(s) that did not install. All available updates were
    > selected.
    >
    > A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This
    > update was not applied.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? I have tried all the following (in various
    > orders...)
    >
    > Uninstalling Liveupdate
    > Uninstalling AntiVirus
    > Uninstalling NIS
    >
    > Using the two uninstall programs available from Symantec, I run these
    > to make sure they have been removed properly
    >
    > I then delete the three of four folder files related to Norton (Live
    > update, Symantec, etc)
    > I then do a find files for NAV and NIS and remove any files - this
    > removes all the files in user data.
    >

    > I check with MSConfig if there is anything still in the start-up and
    > normally there is still an entry for "NIS.exe" or something similar (
    > can't remember the exact name)
    > I use Hijack this software to remove all Norton related entries and
    > this includes the above.
    > Running a reg wizard fixer to get rid of all broken Norton entries
    > from registry.
    >
    > Then I try and reinstall, and still the same problem comes back to
    > haunt me.
    >
    > Can anyone help how to get a working installation of Norton Internet
    > Security back on to this Windows 98 SE IBM laptop PC. It's driving
    > me mad.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Dave.

    Sounds like you already tried the route of uninstall and used their rnav
    and rnis utilities to remove their products and did some manual deletes
    of remnant files and directories. I also had to do some registry
    cleanup before reinstalling their products.

    However, from your description, what you describe as an error may not be
    an error. Some updates are mutually exclusive and must be performed
    alone. Same thing happens when you use Windows Update. It may take 6
    updates before you get them all. You run LiveUpdate, it downloads some,
    reports some are exclusive, you apply those, and reboot. Then you
    repeat this process until LiveUpdate finally reports no more updates are
    available. I think it took me 6 cycles of LiveUpdate-apply-reboot
    before it finally said that I had them all.

    Also, I found that you need to apply all updates using the version of
    LiveUpdate that comes with the product. Then when it says that there
    are no more updates available, then download and install the newer
    version of LiveUpdate (actually I just through their support pages to
    have it detect that I have an older version and let it proffer the newer
    version that I should have) and then redo the update cycle until there
    are no more available.

    It could also be that your version is too old. I don't think Symantec
    supports products more than a prior year-version old. They're at
    year-version 2004 so you'll need year-versions 2003 or 2004. I've had
    other users complain that some of the files that got downloaded were not
    for their old version (which wasn't supported anymore).

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Thank you for your advice. Replies inline...

    "*Vanguard*" <reply-to-newsgroup@to-email.use-Reply.obey-signature.invalid>
    wrote in message news:b%%
    > However, from your description, what you describe as an error may not be
    > an error. Some updates are mutually exclusive and must be performed
    > alone. Same thing happens when you use Windows Update. It may take 6
    > updates before you get them all. You run LiveUpdate, it downloads some,
    > reports some are exclusive, you apply those, and reboot. Then you
    > repeat this process until LiveUpdate finally reports no more updates are
    > available. I think it took me 6 cycles of LiveUpdate-apply-reboot
    > before it finally said that I had them all.

    Unforuntely not. It is at a stage where it cannot get any more. There are
    two left and it fails them both and no matter how many times I try it I get
    the same thing.

    > Also, I found that you need to apply all updates using the version of
    > LiveUpdate that comes with the product. Then when it says that there
    > are no more updates available, then download and install the newer
    > version of LiveUpdate (actually I just through their support pages to
    > have it detect that I have an older version and let it proffer the newer
    > version that I should have) and then redo the update cycle until there
    > are no more available.

    I use the actual live update link from the menu option and from the Norton
    Panel. Both give same results.

    > It could also be that your version is too old. I don't think Symantec
    > supports products more than a prior year-version old. They're at
    > year-version 2004 so you'll need year-versions 2003 or 2004. I've had
    > other users complain that some of the files that got downloaded were not
    > for their old version (which wasn't supported anymore).

    Don't think so. I'm using 2003 version.

    One thing maybe worth noting. Each time the PC boots, it still says "Windows
    is updating files.. Setup needs to complete" or whatever the message is. The
    same one as when you do a Windows update. This is there each time I start
    the laptop. What could this be from and what should I do stop it from
    happening. The PC seems to run fine otherwise.

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:41:06 +0100, "Dave Smithz" <SPAM FREE WORLD>
    wrote:

    >Thank you for your advice. Replies inline...
    >
    >"*Vanguard*" <reply-to-newsgroup@to-email.use-Reply.obey-signature.invalid>
    >
    >Don't think so. I'm using 2003 version.
    >
    >One thing maybe worth noting. Each time the PC boots, it still says "Windows
    >is updating files.. Setup needs to complete" or whatever the message is. The
    >same one as when you do a Windows update. This is there each time I start
    >the laptop. What could this be from and what should I do stop it from
    >happening. The PC seems to run fine otherwise.

    Not sure if this helps, try searching for the files "
    *SETTINGS.LIVEUPDATE* " and deleting them. They are hidden files.

    Also have you searched the registry for references.

    Jeff

    Dave Smithz said in news:40cc96a2$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk:
    > Thank you for your advice. Replies inline...
    >
    > "*Vanguard*"
    > <reply-to-newsgroup@to-email.use-Reply.obey-signature.invalid> wrote
    > in message news:b%%
    >> However, from your description, what you describe as an error may
    >> not be an error. Some updates are mutually exclusive and must be
    >> performed alone. Same thing happens when you use Windows Update.
    >> It may take 6 updates before you get them all. You run LiveUpdate,
    >> it downloads some, reports some are exclusive, you apply those, and
    >> reboot. Then you repeat this process until LiveUpdate finally
    >> reports no more updates are available. I think it took me 6 cycles
    >> of LiveUpdate-apply-reboot before it finally said that I had them
    >> all.
    >
    > Unforuntely not. It is at a stage where it cannot get any more. There
    > are two left and it fails them both and no matter how many times I
    > try it I get the same thing.
    >

    >> Also, I found that you need to apply all updates using the version of
    >> LiveUpdate that comes with the product. Then when it says that there
    >> are no more updates available, then download and install the newer
    >> version of LiveUpdate (actually I just through their support pages to
    >> have it detect that I have an older version and let it proffer the
    >> newer version that I should have) and then redo the update cycle
    >> until there are no more available.
    >
    > I use the actual live update link from the menu option and from the
    > Norton Panel. Both give same results.
    >

    >> It could also be that your version is too old. I don't think
    >> Symantec supports products more than a prior year-version old.
    >> They're at year-version 2004 so you'll need year-versions 2003 or
    >> 2004. I've had other users complain that some of the files that got
    >> downloaded were not for their old version (which wasn't supported
    >> anymore).
    >
    > Don't think so. I'm using 2003 version.
    >
    > One thing maybe worth noting. Each time the PC boots, it still says
    > "Windows is updating files.. Setup needs to complete" or whatever the
    > message is. The same one as when you do a Windows update. This is
    > there each time I start the laptop. What could this be from and what
    > should I do stop it from happening. The PC seems to run fine
    > otherwise.

    Check what is in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files. You didn't
    mention your version of Windows but from a message you noted then my
    guess is that you are using Windows 98. Also check win.ini and
    system.ini along with the Run and RunOnce registry keys to see if they
    are loading a remnant of an install that gets completed after a reboot.

    Also check the contents of winstart.bat. I had an install that got
    stuck so on every reboot there was a message about not being able to
    delete a non-existing directory and the problem was that commands had
    been left in the winstart.bat file.

    Does Windows 98 have a safe boot mode (hit F8 during the Windows start
    to get the menu)? If so, try booting into safe mode and reboot again
    into normal mode.

    Actually I'm a bit surprised you didn't get any response from Symantec.
    I've used their support pages many times and they usually get back to me
    within 3 to 4 business days, and this is the type of question they are
    usually okay in answering (or quoting one of their KB articles).

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Firewalls Norton Internet Security Networking