HEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryand

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
so i am in the market to upgrade my pc i know you guys probably get this stupid question alot but, what should i upgrade?! im just not getting the performance while gaming i would like, and i dont know what to switch out on a $500-$600 budget?

my specs are
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 2.90GHz 63 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0Y2MRG (CPU 1) 42 °C
Graphics
DELL IN2030M (1600x900@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6450 (Unknown) 47 °C
Hard Drives
932GB ATA WDC WD10EALX-759 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 31 °C
Optical Drives
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS SCSI CdRom Device
YJY SLU3WXEN0 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

and i have this case http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/345769-dell-xps-8500.jpg?thumb=y

thank you for reading and helping me out im sorry to ask this question like so many others.

Solution
An I5 is ok for gaming,
The memory in the system is fine, 6Gb of memory should see you ok.
The only weak point that will hold you back in games is the Radeon 6450 graphics solution.
It may be an on board solution of the motherboard, so it cannot be changed.
But if not it will be a Pci-e graphics card, in the Pci-e card slot of the board.
If the case, then go buy a better card and replace the old with the new.

What you need to do before making that choice though is have a check on the wattage of the current power supply to make sure the sytem will run stable as higher end cards require more power to run them. I will give you an example here.

Radeon 6450.

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on...

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i would see if how much your Power supply can handle for wattage and what kind of connectors it has, because other than your video card everything else is good.

invest in a good power supply around the 500W-600W range and a video card, with that budget you could get something quite nice.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
An I5 is ok for gaming,
The memory in the system is fine, 6Gb of memory should see you ok.
The only weak point that will hold you back in games is the Radeon 6450 graphics solution.
It may be an on board solution of the motherboard, so it cannot be changed.
But if not it will be a Pci-e graphics card, in the Pci-e card slot of the board.
If the case, then go buy a better card and replace the old with the new.

What you need to do before making that choice though is have a check on the wattage of the current power supply to make sure the sytem will run stable as higher end cards require more power to run them. I will give you an example here.

Radeon 6450.

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
400 Watt or greater power supply recommended (500 Watt for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Also look at the amp`s required for the new graphics card to run from the power supply unit from the 12v rails of it. Checking the current PSU in the system can deliver what the new Card requires, and needs from it.

If they are too low, it will cause the system to crash and the card to also.

So you need to have check of the output of the Psu before buying the new card, or you may have to buy a new PSU to cope with the new Graphics card when fitted into the system based on it`s power requirement from the PSU.

Obviously check you do have a Pci-e graphics card slot on the motherboard first
as well, If not ,well it`s not good news is it.

Good Luck. Hope it helps you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.