ZoneAlarm v4.5 eat my computer memory ! :-(

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

ZoneAlarm v4.5.594.000 eat my computer memory ! :-(

I am testing this firewall since yesterday, I wanted to test the so
famous "Zone Alarm" (I used Kerio Personnal Firewall v4 for years without
problems until now).

My computer:
- Windows XP home SP 1 (+ Microsoft updates)
- Memory 512 Mb
- Antivirus AntiVir Guard 6.24 up to date.
- Overnet v0.53

The problem :
It seems the software component "VSMON.EXE" increase in size without
limit. It seems this problem occurs even withour any internet software
working, and the problem comes faster when Overnet is running.
For example in less than 24hours, VSMON grew to 350 Mb !! (slowing up
Windows).
If I close Overnet, memory used by VSMON does not decrease...
The only workaround I found is to close ZoneAlarm (from taskbar), then
run it again (VSMON default size is about 5 Mb).

Does someone has an idea of the problem origin ?, or should I come back
to Kerio firewall ?...

phoenix

On 13 Jun 2004 14:28:46 GMT, David D. wrote:

> ZoneAlarm v4.5.594.000 eat my computer memory ! :-(
>
> I am testing this firewall since yesterday, I wanted to test the so
> famous "Zone Alarm" (I used Kerio Personnal Firewall v4 for years without
> problems until now).
>
> My computer:
> - Windows XP home SP 1 (+ Microsoft updates)
> - Memory 512 Mb
> - Antivirus AntiVir Guard 6.24 up to date.
> - Overnet v0.53
>
> The problem :
> It seems the software component "VSMON.EXE" increase in size without
> limit. It seems this problem occurs even withour any internet software
> working, and the problem comes faster when Overnet is running.
> For example in less than 24hours, VSMON grew to 350 Mb !! (slowing up
> Windows).
> If I close Overnet, memory used by VSMON does not decrease...
> The only workaround I found is to close ZoneAlarm (from taskbar), then
> run it again (VSMON default size is about 5 Mb).
>
> Does someone has an idea of the problem origin ?, or should I come back
> to Kerio firewall ?...

Yes, the problem is your p2p software. It's well known, that for some
users, that p2p software will cause ZA to have a fit and vsmon to increase
in size - it's caused by ZA thinking that incoming connection attempts are
an 'attack'. I have ZA and have never had that problem using p2p but some
people do.

If you have problems with ZA then stick with Kerio.

Regards

Bill

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David D. wrote:
> ZoneAlarm v4.5.594.000 eat my computer memory ! :-(
>
> I am testing this firewall since yesterday, I wanted to test the so
> famous "Zone Alarm" (I used Kerio Personnal Firewall v4 for years without
> problems until now).
>
> My computer:
> - Windows XP home SP 1 (+ Microsoft updates)
> - Memory 512 Mb
> - Antivirus AntiVir Guard 6.24 up to date.
> - Overnet v0.53
>
> The problem :
> It seems the software component "VSMON.EXE" increase in size without
> limit. It seems this problem occurs even withour any internet software
> working, and the problem comes faster when Overnet is running.
> For example in less than 24hours, VSMON grew to 350 Mb !! (slowing up
> Windows).
> If I close Overnet, memory used by VSMON does not decrease...
> The only workaround I found is to close ZoneAlarm (from taskbar), then
> run it again (VSMON default size is about 5 Mb).
>
> Does someone has an idea of the problem origin ?, or should I come back
> to Kerio firewall ?...

David,

Did yo remember to turn off XPs internal firewall when you installed ZA?

Michael Gordon