Stupid Case Fan Question?

TastySHeriff

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
You know, i was sittin round bored last night tryin to figure out how to attach fan air filters to the intakes in the front of my antec/chieftec style case (im sick of stuffing the back of the face plate with furnace filters every 3 weeks.) Anyway long story short i thought to myself "why am i so worried about having the intakes in the front?" So i thought about that for awhile and the way i figure it would be helpful if the air goin to my cpu was still at ambient temp instead of goin past my hard drives. And this way nearly all the air from the hard drives is evacuated instead of bieng billowed around as happens with the front intakes pointed at the HDs.

So i put the question to all yalls, which really is better, front intakes or rear intakes (chime in with top or side intakes too if u like, but please keep the origional question in mind, im a my curiosities are specific.)

AthlonXP "Barton" 2500+ :)
Soyo KT400 Dragon Ult. Plat. :(
2x512MB OCSystem RAM :)
Sapphire Radeon 9500Pro :(
-Other Stuff Varies-

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Cool air falls, warm air rises. Hence, all my intakes are low. Below my HDs in fact, not blowing on them. Maybe your HDs are mounted lower than mine? (I've antec 1040 soho or something).

The highest intake I have is the one on the side. It blows in on my cpu and vid card supplying cool air.

The outward air fans are mounted higher, with the highest being at the top of my case (in this case it's the psu fan)

BTW, if you get one more fan blowing in than out, it can help keep dust out.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

B_Man

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
The last time I messed with such stuff ,it was to mount a 12 inch aftermarket air breather for a car on the side of the case with a large fan mounted under it.I could then use a air breather filter,they last a good while plus you can choose from aluminum or chrome,polished or satin finish if you whant style....:<)