G6 266PII

What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
performance.

Any help out here?

Rod

More about 266pii

    The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a 100
    MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.

    The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533 (but not
    the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
    purchase a slotket adapter.

    All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going complete
    for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.

    "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
    > looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
    > to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
    > show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
    > performance.
    >
    > Any help out here?
    >
    > Rod

    Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.

    I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine, and also
    my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the 333's.
    Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no luck.
    Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the 266
    machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940 on the
    G6-266.

    The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced with a
    66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it on the
    P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.

    I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to a
    hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up the
    processor speed. So can I swap processors?

    As always, thanks for your time and analysis.

    Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a 100
    > MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.
    >
    > The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533 (but
    not
    > the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
    > purchase a slotket adapter.
    >
    > All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going complete
    > for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.
    >

    > "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > > What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
    > > looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
    > > to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
    > > show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
    > > performance.
    > >
    > > Any help out here?
    > >
    > > Rod

    > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 - make
    sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in place,
    because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.

    "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
    > Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.
    >
    > I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine, and
    also
    > my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the 333's.
    > Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no luck.
    > Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the 266
    > machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940 on
    the
    > G6-266.
    >
    > The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced with
    > 66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it on
    the
    > P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.
    >
    > I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to a
    > hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up the
    > processor speed. So can I swap processors?
    >
    > As always, thanks for your time and analysis.
    >
    > Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)
    >

    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a
    100
    > > MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.
    > >
    > > The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533 (but
    > not
    > > the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
    > > purchase a slotket adapter.
    > >
    > > All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going
    complete
    > > for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.
    > >

    > > "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > > > What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
    > > > looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
    > > > to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
    > > > show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
    > > > performance.
    > > >
    > > > Any help out here?
    > > >
    > > > Rod

    > > > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Thanks. The 333 machine has 128 meg of memory. Is it the same chip types
    as the 266(64 meg from Gateway)? If so I can get a little more memory by
    moving the 128 meg to the 266 machine.

    TIA again, Wade

    > A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 - make
    > sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in place,
    > because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.
    >

    > "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
    > > Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.
    > >
    > > I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine, and
    > also
    > > my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the
    333's.
    > > Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no
    luck.
    > > Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the 266
    > > machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940 on
    > the
    > > G6-266.
    > >
    > > The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced
    with
    > > 66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it on
    > the
    > > P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.
    > >
    > > I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to a
    > > hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up the
    > > processor speed. So can I swap processors?
    > >
    > > As always, thanks for your time and analysis.
    > >
    > > Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)
    > >

    > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > > The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a
    > 100
    > > > MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.
    > > >
    > > > The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533
    (but
    > > not
    > > > the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
    > > > purchase a slotket adapter.
    > > >
    > > > All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going
    > complete
    > > > for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.
    > > >

    > > > "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message

    It might be -- but there is one model of PII-266 from Gateway that used EDO
    RAM, not SDRAM, which is what the 333 uses.

    > Thanks. The 333 machine has 128 meg of memory. Is it the same chip types
    > as the 266(64 meg from Gateway)? If so I can get a little more memory by
    > moving the 128 meg to the 266 machine.
    >
    > TIA again, Wade
    >
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 -
    make
    > > sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in
    place,
    > > because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.
    > >

    > > "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
    > > > Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.
    > > >
    > > > I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine,
    and
    > > also
    > > > my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the
    > 333's.
    > > > Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no
    > luck.
    > > > Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the
    266
    > > > machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940
    on
    > > the
    > > > G6-266.
    > > >
    > > > The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced
    > with
    > > > 66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it
    on
    > > the
    > > > P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.
    > > >
    > > > I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to
    > > > hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up
    the
    > > > processor speed. So can I swap processors?
    > > >
    > > > As always, thanks for your time and analysis.
    > > >
    > > > Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)
    > > >

    > > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > 100

    > (but
    > > > not

    > > complete

    It
    > bios
    > website

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Yeh, I seem to remember now when I purchased the 266 it was on the tail end
    of the edo ram machines. Oh well it should run ok for what I need.

    Thanks again, Wade

    > It might be -- but there is one model of PII-266 from Gateway that used
    EDO
    > RAM, not SDRAM, which is what the 333 uses.
    >

    > "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. The 333 machine has 128 meg of memory. Is it the same chip
    types
    > > as the 266(64 meg from Gateway)? If so I can get a little more memory
    by
    > > moving the 128 meg to the 266 machine.
    > >
    > > TIA again, Wade
    > >
    > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > > > A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 -
    > make
    > > > sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in
    > place,
    > > > because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.
    > > >

    > > > "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message

    > and
    > > > also
    > > 333's.