G6 266PII

What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
performance.

Any help out here?

Rod

The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a 100
MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.

The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533 (but not
the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
purchase a slotket adapter.

All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going complete
for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.

"Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message
> What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
> looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
> to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
> show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
> performance.
>
> Any help out here?
>
> Rod

Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.

I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine, and also
my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the 333's.
Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no luck.
Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the 266
machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940 on the
G6-266.

The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced with a
66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it on the
P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.

I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to a
hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up the
processor speed. So can I swap processors?

As always, thanks for your time and analysis.

Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a 100
> MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.
>
> The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533 (but
not
> the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
> purchase a slotket adapter.
>
> All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going complete
> for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.
>

> "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message
> > What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
> > looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
> > to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
> > show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
> > performance.
> >
> > Any help out here?
> >
> > Rod

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 - make
sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in place,
because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.

"Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
> Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.
>
> I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine, and
also
> my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the 333's.
> Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no luck.
> Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the 266
> machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940 on
the
> G6-266.
>
> The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced with
> 66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it on
the
> P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.
>
> I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to a
> hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up the
> processor speed. So can I swap processors?
>
> As always, thanks for your time and analysis.
>
> Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)
>

> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a
100
> > MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.
> >
> > The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533 (but
> not
> > the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
> > purchase a slotket adapter.
> >
> > All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going
complete
> > for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.
> >

> > "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message
> > > What is the largest CPU that I can install on this motherboard? It
> > > looks as if the 450 PII is the largest. Will I have to flash the bios
> > > to get this to work. According to Intel the largest on their website
> > > show the 266. The PII 450 is 100 bus speed which should improve the
> > > performance.
> > >
> > > Any help out here?
> > >
> > > Rod

> > > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Thanks. The 333 machine has 128 meg of memory. Is it the same chip types
as the 266(64 meg from Gateway)? If so I can get a little more memory by
moving the 128 meg to the 266 machine.

TIA again, Wade

> A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 - make
> sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in place,
> because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.
>

> "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
> > Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.
> >
> > I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine, and
> also
> > my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the
333's.
> > Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no
luck.
> > Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the 266
> > machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940 on
> the
> > G6-266.
> >
> > The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced
with
> > 66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it on
> the
> > P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.
> >
> > I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to a
> > hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up the
> > processor speed. So can I swap processors?
> >
> > As always, thanks for your time and analysis.
> >
> > Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)
> >

> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > > The 450 PII will run at 300 MHz on your board. It does not support a
> 100
> > > MHz bus CPU, so it will run at 4.5X66 or 300 MHz.
> > >
> > > The fastest PII you can use is the 333. The Celerons go up to 533
(but
> > not
> > > the 533A+ Celerons, which are more difficult to adapt to work), if you
> > > purchase a slotket adapter.
> > >
> > > All things considered, with used 500-600 MHz PIII systems going
> complete
> > > for $100 or so, it's not worth upgrading the one you have.
> > >

> > > "Craig Cline" <ccline5@qwest.net> wrote in message

It might be -- but there is one model of PII-266 from Gateway that used EDO
RAM, not SDRAM, which is what the 333 uses.

> Thanks. The 333 machine has 128 meg of memory. Is it the same chip types
> as the 266(64 meg from Gateway)? If so I can get a little more memory by
> moving the 128 meg to the 266 machine.
>
> TIA again, Wade
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > A 333 PII should work in any Gateway system that shipped with a 266 -
make
> > sure the cooling solution (fan and/or most likely, heatsink) is in
place,
> > because many PII-333s are very hot running processors.
> >

> > "Wade Herod" <herod@wfecaXX.net> wrote in message
> > > Edward, I have sort of the same situation as this guy.
> > >
> > > I have the first Gateway I bought, a PII 266 which still runs fine,
and
> > also
> > > my office was decommisioning 5 gateway PII 333's. I got one of the
> 333's.
> > > Its IDE interface doesn't seem to work. Reflashed the bios etc. no
> luck.
> > > Anyway thinking of removing the 333 processor and putting it in the
266
> > > machine. Will it fit? SN 0010257420 on the G6-333 and SN 0007326940
on
> > the
> > > G6-266.
> > >
> > > The 266 has a separate Ultra IDE 33 interface card, which I replaced
> with
> > > 66 card, and I thought of finding the 33 interface card and trying it
on
> > the
> > > P6 333 to by pass the on board IDE, but I can't lay my hands on it.
> > >
> > > I just want a machine to run ICS and talk to the satelite and hince to
> > > hub. The satelite says it wants 300 mhz hince the reason to bump up
the
> > > processor speed. So can I swap processors?
> > >
> > > As always, thanks for your time and analysis.
> > >
> > > Wade (remove xx from email address to reply if needed)
> > >

> > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > 100

> (but
> > > not

> > complete

It
> bios
> website

Yeh, I seem to remember now when I purchased the 266 it was on the tail end
of the edo ram machines. Oh well it should run ok for what I need.

Thanks again, Wade