Newb needs a guide on overclocking a 3D card

xboxizdope

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
I'm looking to buy a new graphics card, but the ones I really want are a bit pricey. I have read around that the 9800 Pro cards can be overclocked to match the 9800XT cards, but I don't know how to do this, and if I'd need to change the heatsink, fan, or any of that.

I'm really looking at the Asus 9800 Pro because the dual fan looks like it would give the best cooling, and the reviews for the card look good. I'm currently still building my computer, so saving some money would really be helpful, but I still want to enjoy good quality, with stable products.

I currently have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, but have yet to buy a CPU or Ram memory yet, but I'm looking at a 3.0 Ghz P4, and at least 1 gig of Corsair XMS low latency ram (PC-3200). Any suggestions?

Enter Sig "Here"

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I just got the Asus 9800Pro. It is a very high quality card, I deffinately reccomend it over any other board out there. It is more expensive than the BB ATI or Saphire boards though. The heatsink is exceptional, the heat sinks are full copper, dual fans, and a ram sink plate on the back that is larger than the stock ati one and a bit thicker too. If your ocing, use smart doctor(asus' monitoring program) to monitor temp, but use Rage 3D tweek to overclock because the smart doc doesn't let you oc to XT speeds. I don't think you will have any problem getting XT speeds out of the card. Good luck.

OverKill is not defined by the power you use, but by the power you have to spare....
P4 2.6c@3, 512mb OCZDDR533,P4C800 Deluxe