Windows 8 worsens gaming performance

CovXX

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I recently upgraded to windows 8 coming from 7,i've never experienced really good gaming on my pc (runing a 2nd gen i3, no gfx card) but after upgrading i saw my performance degrade alot.

Am i the only one? What do you guys think , should i just go back to windows 7?

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Really? IDK... my shitty laptop had Win7 and Civilization IV and many other games were barely playable. After upgreading to Win8, performance is a lot better, not just with the games but overal my shitty laptop is way faster. Maybe your drivers are not up to date or something of that nature. :non:

What you should have done is asked about the performance difference first. W8 is not an upgrade over W7 as far as gaming is concerned. Some games show a very small gain, most show no difference, some show a drop.

Mactronix :)

Games should in the theory run a little bit better on windows 8 due to the fact that windows 8 has even lower system requirements than windows 7. That means more of the performance goes to the games.

I'm using windows 8. I run every game highest detail, no problem. I can't really spot any difference, than faster responses and faster booting times.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Win8 proves no difference in gaming, most of the variance in the benchmarks done are just probably those instance just showing lower or higher, they should operate the same if your system drivers are up to date.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

have you even used it? you cannot compare win8 to vista, they are not even on the same level. Vista barely even had drivers from any manufacturer, were win8 has just about everything except for some legacy devices.

also normally when something doesnt install on win8 just run as admin and bam works.

uses less resources and boost quicker and runs games just as well as win7.

im having a hard time understanding how win8 is compared to vista at all.

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

"W8 is the Vista of the Windows world."
Are you implying Vista wasn't in the "Windows world"?

Maybe it was a typo ? maybe the post was means to read the "new" Vista of the windows world ?
Either way the point is accurate if not well made. There are indeed many who dislike W8 and will be staying with W7.

Your point of view is of course equally as valid, however i must point out that there are some similarities between Vista and W8.

Both were launched with what Microsoft thought were worthwhile and relevant reasons for users to upgrade. Vista DX10 and W8 the whole unified touch enabled interface. Both features launched with very limited support both from the user and the industry as a whole.

Both are more difficult to navigate and all around less user friendly to your average user than the OS that came before them.

Both launched to huge publicity only to realize really and I mean really bad sales figures. W8 I rate as far worse due to the larger user base and yet the sales are very poor.

I could go on and I am sure others could post a list of positive things. People have differing views and just about everything in life is subjective.

Mactronix :)

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

My bad, I meant it's another Vista.

I wouldn't bother voicing my opinion if I hadn't tried it first, but yeah in my opinion it is a joke.

As far as I know, (correct me if I'm wrong) the whole point of the "new" W8 interface was to simplify everything for basic users, and I'm sure many more will agree with me, I work in IT and deal with "basic" knowledge users constantly. Even they are having trouble figuring it out how to use it. Wasn't the whole point of this interface for it to be easier for them?

The first question I get from every person is "why the hell is the start bar not there"

The second question I get, and this one being my favourite "how do I turn this laptop off?" Please try explaining to people that instead of clicking the small windows icon at the bottom of the screen then clicking the "shut down" icon, they have to put their mouse to the corner of the screen and wave it up and down in hope that a side menu pops up.

And performance wise also it was a joke, I'll tell you why: Because its performance increase is very minimal. Gaming especially!. Okay boot up is a bit faster but the performance difference from W7 to W8 is nothing compared to the performance increase from Vista to W7, and IMO that's how every upgrade should be.

We should be moving forward, not sideward.