Backing up Messages

When I was running 98SE, I always backed up my outlook express
messages which were neatly located in a directory windows. Each
account I had in outlook express had its own directory and all I had
to do was back those directories up. The when I did restoration, all
I had to do was import the messages back into outlook express.

Now that I am handling my email on an XP machine, I can no longer find
where those messages are put by outlook express so as to keep them
backed up. I see that outlook express has an export messages option
but that is only exporting them to outlook and exchange, not for
archiving as I did in 98SE.

Question, where on XP systems does outlook express keeps its messages
so I can back that area up? OR, how do I archive outlook express
messages in XP so I can reload them into outlook express on a fresh
restoration?

Regards,
TR
12 answers Last reply
More about backing messages

    Might want to look into this...

    "TR" <_@_> wrote in message
    > When I was running 98SE, I always backed up my outlook express
    > messages which were neatly located in a directory windows. Each
    > account I had in outlook express had its own directory and all I had
    > to do was back those directories up. The when I did restoration, all
    > I had to do was import the messages back into outlook express.
    >
    > Now that I am handling my email on an XP machine, I can no longer find
    > where those messages are put by outlook express so as to keep them
    > backed up. I see that outlook express has an export messages option
    > but that is only exporting them to outlook and exchange, not for
    > archiving as I did in 98SE.
    >
    > Question, where on XP systems does outlook express keeps its messages
    > so I can back that area up? OR, how do I archive outlook express
    > messages in XP so I can reload them into outlook express on a fresh
    > restoration?
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR

    Okay, Snoopy and Joan.... Got it..

    Snoopy, tried the program and it did just like it said it would. I
    put all my personal data and backup material in My Documents and then
    back My Documents folder up on a CD-R or CD-RW at selected intervals.
    The program allows to backup all OE account's messages wherever you
    want. But Joan showed something just as good without the need for the
    program...

    Joan, thanks for the tool tip. I didn't know I could select where to
    have my messages reside. So with the tool tip, I can change the home
    location of the messages to a folder in My Documents which is the
    folder I backup in the first place anyway.

    Thanks to both of you...

    Regards,
    TR

    Do a search for *.dbx and you will find them. You can also change the place
    where they are stored, Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder. I keep
    mine on a different partition than C: so a reformat or corruption of the OS
    would not disturb them.

    In news:2db680p742pit7jtmtsm61k282ok3g39n8@4ax.com,
    TR <_@_> stated
    | When I was running 98SE, I always backed up my outlook express
    | messages which were neatly located in a directory windows. Each
    | account I had in outlook express had its own directory and all I had
    | to do was back those directories up. The when I did restoration, all
    | I had to do was import the messages back into outlook express.
    |
    | Now that I am handling my email on an XP machine, I can no longer find
    | where those messages are put by outlook express so as to keep them
    | backed up. I see that outlook express has an export messages option
    | but that is only exporting them to outlook and exchange, not for
    | archiving as I did in 98SE.
    |
    | Question, where on XP systems does outlook express keeps its messages
    | so I can back that area up? OR, how do I archive outlook express
    | messages in XP so I can reload them into outlook express on a fresh
    | restoration?
    |
    | Regards,
    | TR

    > Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder. I keep
    > mine on a different partition than C: so a reformat or corruption of the
    OS
    > would not disturb them.

    Wonderful tip. Thanks! Can you do something similar with your address book
    or favorites?

    Thanks,
    Phillip

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:38:12 -0500, "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote:

    >Thanks! Can you do something similar with your address book
    >or favorites?

    Now those I don't have a problem with. You can use the program Snoopy
    was talking about for your address book or, open your address book and
    under File, select Export and then select address book (WAB) and then
    select where you want the backup to go. Choose import for the
    reverse.

    For your favorites, same place in explorer... file\Import
    Export\Export Favorites and follow the instructions. Do the reverse
    to load them back in.

    Regards,
    TR
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    A word of caution in case you're not aware of this. OE has certain behavior
    when "moving" these files that the average person would find counter
    intuitive to put it mildly. It deletes files in the area that you are
    "moving" files into! And the topper is there is absolutely NO warning it
    is doing it. Make sure you have good backups of your mail files before
    doing anything with that move functionality.

    Check out the Outlook Express newsgroup for accounts of this wonderfully
    stupid behavior that has been known to be a problem for years by MS but
    never addressed (not even a warning popup!). Too busy picking our pocket I
    guess.

    "TR" <_@_> wrote in message
    > Okay, Snoopy and Joan.... Got it..
    >
    > Snoopy, tried the program and it did just like it said it would. I
    > put all my personal data and backup material in My Documents and then
    > back My Documents folder up on a CD-R or CD-RW at selected intervals.
    > The program allows to backup all OE account's messages wherever you
    > want. But Joan showed something just as good without the need for the
    > program...
    >
    > Joan, thanks for the tool tip. I didn't know I could select where to
    > have my messages reside. So with the tool tip, I can change the home
    > location of the messages to a folder in My Documents which is the
    > folder I backup in the first place anyway.
    >
    > Thanks to both of you...
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > A word of caution in case you're not aware of this. OE has certain
    behavior
    > when "moving" these files that the average person would find counter
    > intuitive to put it mildly. It deletes files in the area that you are
    > "moving" files into!

    Can you please clarify this a little more. Let me know if you are trying to
    describe either of these scenarios...

    (1) When "moving" your OE files to a new folder, OE will delete whatever is
    in the new folder first, before it moves your current OE files over.
    Meaning, that OE does not merge two different sets of files, it will just
    clean out the folder and then replace any contents with the current batch of
    OE files. After this, OE shouldn't randomly delete anything else.

    (2) After you move your OE files to a new folder, some of the other
    files/messages (?) will randomly be deleted without any warning. If this is
    the case, what are those files and what causes this to happen.

    I'm hoping that you were referring to scenario #1 and not #2.

    Thanks,
    Phillip
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:30:40 -0400, "snoopy"
    <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote:

    >Check out the Outlook Express newsgroup for accounts of this wonderfully
    >stupid behavior that has been known to be a problem for years by MS but
    >never addressed (not even a warning popup!). Too busy picking our pocket I
    >guess.

    What! M$ sitting on a bug/flaw and doing nothing about it? No Way!

    Big Grin.......

    Sort of like that little file named ~ that pops up somewhere
    everytime you edit your address book.

    Regards,
    TR
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > A word of caution in case you're not aware of this. OE has certain
    > behavior
    > > when "moving" these files that the average person would find counter
    > > intuitive to put it mildly. It deletes files in the area that you are
    > > "moving" files into!
    >
    > Can you please clarify this a little more. Let me know if you are trying
    > describe either of these scenarios...
    >
    > (1) When "moving" your OE files to a new folder, OE will delete whatever
    is
    > in the new folder first, before it moves your current OE files over.
    > Meaning, that OE does not merge two different sets of files, it will just
    > clean out the folder and then replace any contents with the current batch
    of
    > OE files. After this, OE shouldn't randomly delete anything else.
    >
    > (2) After you move your OE files to a new folder, some of the other
    > files/messages (?) will randomly be deleted without any warning. If this
    is
    > the case, what are those files and what causes this to happen.
    >
    > I'm hoping that you were referring to scenario #1 and not #2.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Phillip

    Yes, scenario #1. A small warning before deleting files sure would have
    been a bare minimum in my book. When somebody is "moving" something they
    wouldn't be expecting files to be deleted without so much as a warning.
    Never seen anything as bad as this with any other software. Simply
    horrendous programming. How much time to insert the code for a warning
    popup? 1 man day of work for the slowest programmer on the planet?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I've heard of people having .dbx files get corrupted, a lot of people claim
    that running automatic compaction causes this. However, I have been using
    OE since it was born and have run automatic compaction since it was
    instituted and have never had a corrupted .dbx. I spend several hours a day
    in newsgroups, some with very large posts, and subscribe to several servers
    and many groups.

    When OE moves the .dbxs I guess it deletes the old ones, I didn't mention
    that when I move them I create a brand new folder where I want to move them
    to, so they have a nice empty spot to move to.

    In news:1087p68t8kp0v79@corp.supernews.com,
    Phillip <phillip@msn.com> stated
    || A word of caution in case you're not aware of this. OE has certain
    || behavior when "moving" these files that the average person would
    || find counter intuitive to put it mildly. It deletes files in the
    || area that you are "moving" files into!
    |
    | Can you please clarify this a little more. Let me know if you are
    | trying to describe either of these scenarios...
    |
    | (1) When "moving" your OE files to a new folder, OE will delete
    | whatever is in the new folder first, before it moves your current OE
    | files over. Meaning, that OE does not merge two different sets of
    | files, it will just clean out the folder and then replace any
    | contents with the current batch of OE files. After this, OE shouldn't
    | randomly delete anything else.
    |
    | (2) After you move your OE files to a new folder, some of the other
    | files/messages (?) will randomly be deleted without any warning. If
    | this is the case, what are those files and what causes this to happen.
    |
    | I'm hoping that you were referring to scenario #1 and not #2.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Phillip
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    And if you also export the address book as a .csv which is a text file you
    can open it in a text editor and print it out if desired. You can also
    import a .csv into some other programs.

    In news:cjl680tkahol5gjh18gono64fdumo3seu8@4ax.com,
    TR <_@_> stated
    | On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:38:12 -0500, "Phillip" <phillip@msn.com> wrote:
    |
    || Thanks! Can you do something similar with your address book
    || or favorites?
    |
    | Now those I don't have a problem with. You can use the program Snoopy
    | was talking about for your address book or, open your address book and
    | under File, select Export and then select address book (WAB) and then
    | select where you want the backup to go. Choose import for the
    | reverse.
    |
    | For your favorites, same place in explorer... file\Import
    | Export\Export Favorites and follow the instructions. Do the reverse
    | to load them back in.
    |
    | Regards,
    | TR
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I recently had occasion to try to import my mail messages into Outlook
    Express 6 (under Windows XP). I'd been using OE 5.5 until my old laptop
    went dark. I had been backing up all my mail folders religiously.

    But when I restored them to my new laptop, and asked OE 6 to import them, a
    curious thing happened. Only mail messages that postdated my conversion to
    IE/OE 5.5 a couple years ago came in! All older messages, sent/received
    while I was still using OE 4.x, were ignored by OE 6.

    I was pretty surprised by this, since all of the messages were there in the
    OE 5.5 .dbx files. But somehow, nothing pre-dating the upgrade to OE 5.5 a
    couple years ago was acceptable to OE 6. I don't know how it could tell the
    difference, since all messages, both archaic and recent, were in the OE 5.5
    mail store files.

    "snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > Might want to look into this...

    > "TR" <_@_> wrote in message
    > > When I was running 98SE, I always backed up my outlook express
    > > messages which were neatly located in a directory windows. Each
    > > account I had in outlook express had its own directory and all I had
    > > to do was back those directories up. The when I did restoration, all
    > > I had to do was import the messages back into outlook express.
    > >
    > > Now that I am handling my email on an XP machine, I can no longer find
    > > where those messages are put by outlook express so as to keep them
    > > backed up. I see that outlook express has an export messages option
    > > but that is only exporting them to outlook and exchange, not for
    > > archiving as I did in 98SE.
    > >
    > > Question, where on XP systems does outlook express keeps its messages
    > > so I can back that area up? OR, how do I archive outlook express
    > > messages in XP so I can reload them into outlook express on a fresh
    > > restoration?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > TR

Gateway Outlook Express Outlook Windows XP Computers