Networking and RF Interference

Tuckerman

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
Ok everyone! I've got a weird one for you. My wife and I enjoy using a treadmill for regular exercise. Just last night I noticed that when we run the treadmill that my home network comes to a halt. I think that the motor on the treadmill (or something else inside) is putting out a ton of RF noise. My other data point is that when I'm listening to the radio in my garage and my wife starts up the treamill, that you can hear a very loud whirring sound through the radio. Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, can anyone think of what I can do to solve the problem? I know it's a strange one, but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
maybe a grounding issue. make sure your outlet is correct, and if your in america, make sure the nutral 3rd prong is connected.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

G

networks using coaxial cableing are by their nature more immune to susceptibility problems. maybe you could get that.

Another solution might be shielded twisted pair cables. Probably expensive but could improve your situation if connected properly. A few companies make this stuff if you care to look hard enough.

Leezard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
As was stated verify the ground on your tread mill. If that doesn't help got to the companys website and find out if there is a secondary ground. Usualy you shouldn't have any problems if the device is accredited by the emissions board but then again some stuff still gets thru.
Is your tread mill electric powered or has it's own internal generator? If it is a stand alone you may be experiencing the same problems we used to have with people using older motorcycles with point systems. It would bug up the tv whenever they drove buy. Kinda like a mobile jamming system.

Tuckerman

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
Thanks for all your feedback!! I have verified that the treadmill is properly grounded (at least via the standard three-prong plug). I think that it's one of those products that "got by" the UL guys!! I'm going to try and encase the motor in some kind of shield or find a heavily shieled Network cable and see if that helps. The only problem is the length of the run is close to fifty feet!

Thanks again for your thoughts...wish me luck!

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Cable or DSL internet ?

DSL is affected by RF noise. Certain lighting, dimmer switches, refridgerators, even some types of power bricks used on printers, scanners, etc...

If you use DSL you might try relocating wiring and/or your treadmill. Check with a local electrical supply store about a filter to go between your outlet and treadmill. I know they exist but at what price ... ?

Logic goes away if it is not the first or seemingly obvious answer to a problem. :eek: