Sign in with
Your question

Which Version Should I get

Last response: in Windows 7
October 22, 2009 3:19:43 AM

Probably a dumb question but on Newegg they are selling a version of Windows 7 for computer builders and then a "Retail" version. I couldn't find a 64 bit version of the "Retail" version. Is there a difference between the computer builder and "retail" version? I am about to build my own computer for personal use...gaming mainly.

Thanks

More about : version

October 22, 2009 3:38:04 AM

With OEM-versions the Serialkey only works once, as far as I know. Whilst you get to reinstall a Retail-version several times.

You should be able to find a 64-bit OEM-version though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 3:38:10 AM

Retail comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit media in the box... OEM versions are either 32-bit or 64-bit only... not both.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2009 1:21:08 PM

Thanks for the answers. I kinda was thinking that was the deal but they really didn't specity that both 32 and 64 came with the Retail versions.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2009 2:55:00 PM

That's why they don't specify... because both are in the box. When you are buying one or the other, that's when specification becomes necessary.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 23, 2009 2:53:54 AM

chriscornell said:
With OEM-versions the Serialkey only works once, as far as I know. Whilst you get to reinstall a Retail-version several times.

Actually, you can re-use OEM serials up to 10 times, but you must do so on the same machine (i.e. you are reinstalling Windows on the same computer because of a problem). The catch though, is that you cannot use an OEM serial on more than one computer, nor can you transfer the key to another computer if you remove that OEM copy of Windows from the original machine.

Basically, if you install an OEM copy on to a computer, that serial number MUST stay with that computer. With a retail license, you can transfer the license to a different computer, but you can only have the retail license install on one machine at a time.
m
l
October 23, 2009 5:52:59 PM

OEM copies arent locked down as tightly as you would think. As long as its not a totally new machine (and sometimes if it is as long as the old machines not active) you can usually reinstall oem copies. I know my OEM copy of vista I have installed on my machine atleast 6 times, going thru 2 motherboards, 2 processors, 3 video cards and several other hardware changes over the course of the nearly 2 years that I've been running Vista. The same was true for my copy of XP Media Center. I've never bought a retail copy of windows, always OEM and have installed all copies atleast multiple times on the same machine and variations of the same machine.
m
l
!