Computer shuts down while trying to load windows as well as installing

initialgdw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Hey guys, I am having a problem with my computer to where I can't load windows without my computer unexpectedly shutting down. I just got a new video card and did not load drivers for it. I just plugged it right in. Im thinking this might be the cause. I tried booting using my other video card and it still did not work though and those are the correct drivers that I had before. I have tried another power supply, ran a memtest, reapplied thermal paste and reseated my cooler. I have also tested a different hard drive and still the same thing. I do not have integratted graphics on my mobo so I cannot boot from my motherboard for a display. The green light for my motherboard is still on so I'm thinking that's not the problem. Any solutions?

Specs: motherboard Asus p5nd
Processor intel q9300 quad core
video card gtx 460 (old one is a 8800gt)

1. Put old GFX Card back.
2. Boot System - this will conform if anything got messed up during the install.
3. Check PSU capability here:
http://www.antec.outervision.com/
4. Uninstall video card drivers.
5. Shut down PC and install new card (assuming step 3 went OK.
6. Boot (do not let anything auto-install)
7. Install latest card drivers.

initialgdw

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
1. I put the old card back in and it still does the same thing where when the loading bar pops up it shuts down.

3. PSU wise, it recommends using a 632w< power supply. Everything turns on though and with my other card, it recommends a 557w< power supply. With my old card everything worked fine, so I'm doubtful on it being a power supply issue.

4. As for the video card drivers, I can't uninstall because I can't get into Windows in safe mode to get to device management.

faisal733

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Finally I discovered the solution of this annoying shutting down problem. the same problem I faced which was really very exceptional issue. its very easy to guess that faulty power supply but actually its not as I spent 6 hours to find the actual problem. the problem wasn't with power supply, CPU, CPU Heatsink, motherboard, graphics card, BIOS settings, hard drive, dvd drive or any other componets but apart from the most important and common component of any system which is Memory (RAM). the freaking RAM was causing that shutting down problem while windows 7 tries to load up. it was really very hard to think that memory was faulty or its speed was incompatible for the motherboard. when I changed current memory (555 MHz) to 444 MHz or 800 MHz, my windows 7 loads very well without giving any problem. so guys you can try to change your current memory speed to 444 MHz (PC2-4200U) or 800 MHz PC2-6400 if this same case for your motherboard. best of luck guys:)

Faisal