Which OS platform for my gaming PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrakkie

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hello,
I am in the final stage of building up my gaming pc. The hardware consists of the following:
Gigabyte SLI MOtherboard
MSI Gtx 660 graphics card x 2
12GB RAM
Bla bla bla

Question: I would like to make full use of the power of my machine capabilities so I need to install Windows 7 -64 Bit Operating system.
Problem/concern: Have a lot of brilliant Windows XP games and am just worried that the games will not run on the 64Bit platform
Any suggestions as what I must install? XP or Win 7 64 Bit

Being a game Freak can be frustrating
Thank you
Carlo

Solution
First things first, some games for XP do not work on W7, despite what people say, I had that problem especially with Scarface: The World is Yours.

Best thing to do first is to install XP. THEN install windows 7 on another partition (NOTE: Installing Windows 7 and then XP after will cause it to only boot into XP)

So make sure XP is installed first. Do not use 64 bit XP but do use 64 bit for your Win7 installation.

darth pravus

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Also xp 64 bit was awful and you will need a 64 bit os to use your 12gb ram.

Remember on 32 bit you only have 4gb of memory address space with includes GPU memory so those 2gb cards will have no memory left after your system has used it for Actual ram.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Hi,
Google "Muli booting" or "dual booting"

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
First things first, some games for XP do not work on W7, despite what people say, I had that problem especially with Scarface: The World is Yours.

Best thing to do first is to install XP. THEN install windows 7 on another partition (NOTE: Installing Windows 7 and then XP after will cause it to only boot into XP)

So make sure XP is installed first. Do not use 64 bit XP but do use 64 bit for your Win7 installation.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.