Sign in with
Your question

Will a 2500K be a bottleneck in any game?

Last response: in Video Games
January 29, 2013 10:29:29 AM

Hi,
will a 2500K be a bottleneck in any game available today(and soon to be available like Crysis 3 and Metro last light) with a GTX 570(My card) and with a 680? And I can't overclock it with my current motherboard.

More about : 2500k bottleneck game

January 29, 2013 10:45:12 AM

Except in Starcraft 2, in 4v4 massive battles, i dont think so.
However, if not Overclocked, you proably wont be able to stream a game you play in decent settings (if that matters to you at all).
February 5, 2013 1:02:45 PM

Quote:
It really depends on the game and how well the game is coded. That being said you'll always have bottlenecks. Wither it be the cpu, video card, ram, SSD/HDD speed, ect. The main thing is if you can play your games a the settings you want with X amount of FPS.

I don't think your 2500K is going to bottleneck any game below 60fps. You have to remember that Game makers don't make money by producing games that only 2% of the target audience can play.

A GTX 680 down to a 670 would be a good fit.

why a 670 instead? Just asking.

And what about future games and Orbis/next generation ports? Wouldn't some of them be bottlenecked by a 2500K?
Related resources
February 5, 2013 3:59:04 PM

going with an 670 is also cheaper and you'll put less power on your system.
besides, pretty much every game you can max out with a 680 you could max out with an 670 with slight differences, as delta5 said before me.
February 5, 2013 5:02:03 PM

A 670 maxed out can meet a stock 680, but an overclocked 680 can exceed the performance of either and is arguably more future proof, potentially lasting until the next directx if rumors are to be believed.

If you have the money for a 680 and you want a 680, get a 680. Your 2500k OC'd won't bottleneck it. Sometimes people cross the line of what constitutes sound advice. It's your money and spend it how you would like. Hopefully this answered the technical aspects of your question for you.
February 5, 2013 5:25:06 PM

casualcolors said:
A 670 maxed out can meet a stock 680, but an overclocked 680 can exceed the performance of either and is arguably more future proof, potentially lasting until the next directx if rumors are to be believed.

If you have the money for a 680 and you want a 680, get a 680. Your 2500k OC'd won't bottleneck it. Sometimes people cross the line of what constitutes sound advice. It's your money and spend it how you would like. Hopefully this answered the technical aspects of your question for you.

No offense,But did you even read the original post? I said I can't OC

And also Can someone answer the question I asked about future games and Orbis/next generation games being bottlenecked?
February 5, 2013 5:31:49 PM

iplikator3333 said:
No offense,But did you even read the original post? I said I can't OC

And also Can someone answer the question I asked about future games and Orbis/next generation games being bottlenecked?

Yes, I read your initial post, and I'm curious which motherboard you have that you can't overclock with. Also, an unoverclocked 2500k probably won't bottleneck a single 680 in any case. It might bottleneck a dual card setup slightly if you're curious about that.

You can't seriously be wondering if PS4 and xbox720 are going to in some way render your 2500k obsolete or create bottleneck issues. Have you read their projected specs at all? At the end of the day, CPU-bottlenecking during the next generation of consoles will be the result of the same reason that CPU-bottlenecking exists during this generation. Sloppy, half-arsed ports.
February 5, 2013 5:58:52 PM

casualcolors said:
Yes, I read your initial post, and I'm curious which motherboard you have that you can't overclock with. Also, an unoverclocked 2500k probably won't bottleneck a single 680 in any case. It might bottleneck a dual card setup slightly if you're curious about that.

You can't seriously be wondering if PS4 and xbox720 are going to in some way render your 2500k obsolete or create bottleneck issues. Have you read their projected specs at all? At the end of the day, CPU-bottlenecking during the next generation of consoles will be the result of the same reason that CPU-bottlenecking exists during this generation. Sloppy, half-arsed ports.

I'm not sure but from what I've heard and tried you can't overclock a 2500K with a H77 chipset

And Orbis/next generation ports will most likely be more demanding, even if the Orbis and next Xbox don't have a very good CPU, Because

1.consoles don't have to run an Operating system and every instruction on them doesn't go through an Operating system
2.What about any other possible next generation consoles? There is a possibility some other company other than Sony and Microsoft will release a console.
February 5, 2013 6:17:05 PM

iplikator3333 said:
I'm not sure but from what I've heard and tried you can't overclock a 2500K with a H77 chipset

And Orbis/next generation ports will most likely be more demanding, even if the Orbis and next Xbox don't have a very good CPU, Because

1.consoles don't have to run an Operating system and every instruction on them doesn't go through an Operating system
2.What about any other possible next generation consoles? There is a possibility some other company other than Sony and Microsoft will release a console.

Firstly, you can overclock on that chipset via the turbo-boost which should net you something like 3.8 or 4.2ghz iirc for the 2500k. You can also bump the frontside bus up a bit to get some more juice out of it. Should be stable to 105 clock speed.
Secondly, do you have any idea how much resource overhead an average computer has right now?
Thirdly, yes. The Ouya and the Steambox neither of which are boasting the tech specifications of the supposed 720 and PS4, let alone an actual gaming computer.

Also what's up with the line spacing in your post? Is your enter key broken?
February 5, 2013 6:26:43 PM

casualcolors said:
Firstly, you can overclock on that chipset via the turbo-boost which should net you something like 3.8 or 4.2ghz iirc for the 2500k. You can also bump the frontside bus up a bit to get some more juice out of it. Should be stable to 105 clock speed.
Secondly, do you have any idea how much resource overhead an average computer has right now?
Thirdly, yes. The Ouya and the Steambox neither of which are boasting the tech specifications of the supposed 720 and PS4, let alone an actual gaming computer.

Also what's up with the line spacing in your post? Is your enter key broken?

Maybe some yet unannounced console yet? Seriously why are you so ignorant? and I only got stable at 104 MHz so I can only get to 3.8 Ghz with turbo boost.
And you ignore what I said about Operating systems.
February 5, 2013 6:49:29 PM

iplikator3333 said:
Maybe some yet unannounced console yet? Seriously why are you so ignorant? and I only got stable at 104 MHz so I can only get to 3.8 Ghz with turbo boost.
And you ignore what I said about Operating systems.

So you can't overclock your 2500k, except that you can overclock it to 3.8ghz by your own admission (which by the way is enough to avoid any potential single card bottlenecking).

I responded to your comment about the operating system. Any relevance of programs running through the operating system is nullified by the massive hardware overhead that current PC's already have. I realize that it sounds really good and would probably be a talking point in a gears of war subforum on gamefaqs, but it just has no basis in reality.

You came here to ask a question, and when you got an answer that seems to have conflicted with your preconceived notion about the relation between PC's and consoles of either generation, now you want to convince people that the answer they gave you is wrong.

Out of curiosity, aside from the Xbox, Playstation, Ouya and Steambox, what secret next generation console do you think is coming? Is SEGA making the Dreamcast 2?! Is Nintendo going to release another console within the next few years that somehow exceeds the tech specifications of the PS4 and Xbox despite that being completely outside the parameters of their business model? Or is some new upstart company going to get a bunch of investors on board and pour hundreds of millions of dollars into research and development of a new groundbreaking console because of the long-standing reputations of consoles selling for huge profit-per-unit early in their life cycle? :sarcastic: 

It's fine that you think I'm ignorant, but you'll need to qualify that accusation in some way. You seem to not know the basic functions that your own computer is capable of, and you're obtusely alluding to the threat of some technical paradigm shifting console by a secret company that no one has ever heard of. If you don't have any light to shed on that, then it seems your questions have been sufficiently answered.
February 5, 2013 7:14:20 PM

No, of course not. The 2500k is super easy to OC too. Just go to 4.0ghz and you'll be fine with everything on ultra if your running the 680. and pretty close with a 570
February 5, 2013 7:22:37 PM

thomasf94 said:
No, of course not. The 2500k is super easy to OC too. Just go to 4.0ghz and you'll be fine with everything on ultra if your running the 680. and pretty close with a 570

I can't OC it so easily with a H77 chipset

And also what about future games?
February 5, 2013 7:24:56 PM

casualcolors said:
So you can't overclock your 2500k, except that you can overclock it to 3.8ghz by your own admission (which by the way is enough to avoid any potential single card bottlenecking).

I responded to your comment about the operating system. Any relevance of programs running through the operating system is nullified by the massive hardware overhead that current PC's already have. I realize that it sounds really good and would probably be a talking point in a gears of war subforum on gamefaqs, but it just has no basis in reality.

You came here to ask a question, and when you got an answer that seems to have conflicted with your preconceived notion about the relation between PC's and consoles of either generation, now you want to convince people that the answer they gave you is wrong.

Out of curiosity, aside from the Xbox, Playstation, Ouya and Steambox, what secret next generation console do you think is coming? Is SEGA making the Dreamcast 2?! Is Nintendo going to release another console within the next few years that somehow exceeds the tech specifications of the PS4 and Xbox despite that being completely outside the parameters of their business model? Or is some new upstart company going to get a bunch of investors on board and pour hundreds of millions of dollars into research and development of a new groundbreaking console because of the long-standing reputations of consoles selling for huge profit-per-unit early in their life cycle? :sarcastic: 

It's fine that you think I'm ignorant, but you'll need to qualify that accusation in some way. You seem to not know the basic functions that your own computer is capable of, and you're obtusely alluding to the threat of some technical paradigm shifting console by a secret company that no one has ever heard of. If you don't have any light to shed on that, then it seems your questions have been sufficiently answered.

Seriously, Your statement about some other companies possibly releasing a console is retarded, How can you know no other company is going to release a next generation console? Anyway I'm done discussing with you if You're so ignorant.
February 5, 2013 7:25:14 PM

iplikator3333 said:
I can't OC it so easily with a H77 chipset

And also what about future games?

Ah, that's right. My Bad,

Well either way, you wouldn't see much/if any in gaming performance, for future gaming, yes you should be fine for a while, the bottleneck is rarely on the CPU and the 2500k is a great gaming cpu
February 5, 2013 7:28:35 PM

thomasf94 said:
Ah, that's right. My Bad,

Well either way, you wouldn't see much/if any in gaming performance, for future gaming, yes you should be fine for a while, the bottleneck is rarely on the CPU and the 2500k is a great gaming cpu

What about for Orbis/next generation ports?
February 5, 2013 7:33:20 PM

iplikator3333 said:
What about for Orbis/next generation ports?

Haha, no one can know that, cause so little is known about that whole thing, and I'm guessing the ps4 will use the next gen AMD gpu's. Trust me, you'll be set for a long time with the 680, it is a very good reliable card, even as low as the 580 is still good.

So put that in perspective :) 
February 5, 2013 7:35:07 PM

thomasf94 said:
Haha, no one can know that, cause so little is known about that whole thing, and I'm guessing the ps4 will use the next gen AMD gpu's. Trust me, you'll be set for a long time with the 680, it is a very good reliable card, even as low as the 580 is still good.

So put that in perspective :) 

What about the CPU? That's what I was referring to.
February 5, 2013 7:38:26 PM

iplikator3333 said:
What about the CPU? That's what I was referring to.

Like I said, who knows? haha, sorry I can't say to much on that subject because no one will know how demanding next gen games are, all I can say is I personally think the 2500k still has tons juice left in it, and most of it will fall on the gpu demands, not cpu. :) 
February 5, 2013 7:40:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think your 2500K is going to bottleneck any game below 60fps. You have to remember that Game makers don't make money by producing games that only 2% of the target audience can play.

^This
February 5, 2013 7:46:36 PM

thomasf94 said:
Like I said, who knows? haha, sorry I can't say to much on that subject because no one will know how demanding next gen games are, all I can say is I personally think the 2500k still has tons juice left in it, and most of it will fall on the gpu demands, not cpu. :) 

Ok, Thanks!
February 5, 2013 8:00:24 PM

iplikator3333 said:
Seriously, Your statement about some other companies possibly releasing a console is retarded, How can you know no other company is going to release a next generation console? Anyway I'm done discussing with you if You're so ignorant.

The only thing anyone knows for sure is that as soon as someone somewhere amasses enough money to invest in R&D'ing a new console, you will know about it at least a year before its release. There is a massive hype train that has to be set in motion to do something like create a console that is going to rival the Big 2 (or 3, depending on how you look at it). It's not just some side project that is kept hush hush until the last second. SEGA did that once, with the Saturn. It's still considered one of the biggest mistakes in the video game industry, ever.

And I'm asking you, think critically and tell me who you think has enough money to not only R&D a new "next-gen" console platform, and generate game development for it? The question only comes off as rhetorical because you can't think if a single company that fits that description aside from Valve with their Steambox and the crowd-funded Ouya which we've known about for quite some time now. If you have a real answer to that, then by all means share it. Otherwise be thankful that you got your answer (several times over) and learned that your CPU can in fact be overclocked.
February 5, 2013 10:10:12 PM

I think he just wants to argue for the sake of arguing. . . . But I will jump on the wagon also. No other third party is coming up with a system with specs that will beat the PS4 or Xbox 720. As Casualcolors stated to create a new console and hype it up ( ad campaign) you are looking at HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars from drawing board to actual release of a product. No company has that cash or balls ....... please don't say apple as they are not a company that makes anything with the sole intention of gaming.
With that being said ...... why or even how the hell could a next gen system bottleneck a 2500k @ 4ghz when that CPU destroys the specs of the PS4 and Xbox 720? Your argument that they do not run an OS is retarded ........ so let me get this straight by running Windows 7 my 2500k is running like a 2.2ghz duo core? Seriously I find it funny you're even trying to install a video card without paying geek squad....
February 6, 2013 3:47:55 AM

You have a processor that is %5 slower clock-clock than the fastest CPU architecture on the planet. Not only that is can be overclocked to exceed this new architecture or at least match it.

At 4.0 ghz I can't think of any game in which Sandy Bridge would be a bottleneck. At 4.5-4.8 ghz it just starts getting rediculous.

Short simple answer is NO> YOU WILL BOTTLENECK NOTHING
!