Sygate and Windows XP guest account

I set up a guest account on Windows XP for some visitors. They are not
computer savy, so I want to protect my system from their possible
mistakes. If Sygate (free version) sees a program that I've set to
"ask", it will ask the guest if the want to allow it. That's probably
ok with me.

What would happen if the program was being seen for the first time by
Sygate? Would it still give the guest the option of allowing the
program? I'd rather it wouldn't.

Thanks,
Russell
2 answers Last reply
More about sygate windows guest account

    In article <n-OdnZORp5trvFPdRVn-vA@comcast.com>, rwkeating-remove@comcast.net says...
    > I set up a guest account on Windows XP for some visitors. They are not
    > computer savy, so I want to protect my system from their possible
    > mistakes. If Sygate (free version) sees a program that I've set to
    > "ask", it will ask the guest if the want to allow it. That's probably
    > ok with me.
    Yes..

    > What would happen if the program was being seen for the first time by
    > Sygate? Would it still give the guest the option of allowing the
    > program? I'd rather it wouldn't.
    Anytime an application attempts to connect to internet the first time,
    Sygate (by default) will "Ask". If you have several applications that
    you don't want the guest to use, you could run them and then set to
    "Block" before the guests arrive.

    Casey wrote:

    > In article <n-OdnZORp5trvFPdRVn-vA@comcast.com>, rwkeating-remove@comcast.net says...
    >
    >>I set up a guest account on Windows XP for some visitors. They are not
    >>computer savy, so I want to protect my system from their possible
    >>mistakes. If Sygate (free version) sees a program that I've set to
    >>"ask", it will ask the guest if the want to allow it. That's probably
    >>ok with me.
    >
    > Yes..
    >
    >>What would happen if the program was being seen for the first time by
    >>Sygate? Would it still give the guest the option of allowing the
    >>program? I'd rather it wouldn't.
    >
    > Anytime an application attempts to connect to internet the first time,
    > Sygate (by default) will "Ask". If you have several applications that
    > you don't want the guest to use, you could run them and then set to
    > "Block" before the guests arrive.
    >
    >>Thanks,
    >>Russell

    I could block things ahead of time, but I was more concerned with the
    unknowns like if they downloaded something that was then trying to get
    out to the internet.

    Russell

Firewalls Security Windows XP Networking