Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sad, Sad day for PC Gaming for me today (Went Shopping..)

Tags:
  • Games
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 29, 2013 4:00:23 PM

What a sad, sad day! So I was looking for Crysis 2 and decided to visit a few stores to check out their PC sections... man what a disappointment..

Walmart -> Small section with half of the games opened.. Dusty little corner
BestBuy -> Few games.. didn't even have a copy of BF3
Future Shop -> Basically the same little collection of games as BestBuy
EB Games -> Small little shelf with a few games.. maybe 10 at most

I am guessing everything moved towards digital content (Steam, EA Origin, UPlay etc...)

I guess digital is pretty good and really convenient but none the less, a sad, sad day for me! I remember going to the PC section as a kid in high school to see whats new these days, and there's was TONS... Check each cover and slowly decide on what game to pick up!! Good times

More about : sad sad day gaming today shopping

January 29, 2013 4:22:59 PM

kjoz said:
What a sad, sad day! So I was looking for Crysis 2 and decided to visit a few stores to check out their PC sections... man what a disappointment..

Walmart -> Small section with half of the games opened.. Dusty little corner
BestBuy -> Few games.. didn't even have a copy of BF3
Future Shop -> Basically the same little collection of games as BestBuy
EB Games -> Small little shelf with a few games.. maybe 10 at most

I am guessing everything moved towards digital content (Steam, EA Origin, UPlay etc...)

I guess digital is pretty good and really convenient but none the less, a sad, sad day for me! I remember going to the PC section as a kid in high school to see whats new these days, and there's was TONS... Check each cover and slowly decide on what game to pick up!! Good times

If it makes you feel any better, seven years ago I moved 50 miles from the nearest outlet store of any kind and I was pretty upset about my future as a game junkie, but I've taken to on line shopping and to be honest I don't really miss the other side any more. I admit, I sometimes yearn for going into the CompUSA by my old place, feeling the AC slam into me, walking casually to the back wall, and seeing all of those beautiful boxes glaring out at me full of endless possibility. ***, I still have all my old boxes for that reason! As for now I'm glued into Amazon and GOG and I've adapted to it (be it out of necessity not choice), but still I've adapted, and I'm digging it.
Score
January 29, 2013 4:49:27 PM

Ya, times change.. this is a lot more convenient but i sure miss the good old days lol!

Either way, just picked up Crysis 2 and Crysis Maximum Edition for $18 CDN.. Not bad at all
Score
Related resources
January 29, 2013 6:24:54 PM

You're not the only one... Those good old days. :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
Score
January 29, 2013 7:53:56 PM

I hear what you are saying. It was nice to go into the store and see the new boxes and physically touch them. However, I wouldn't go back. The cheap games, the ease of purchasing them, and the wealth of information at our fingertips to make informed decisions makes gaming far better now.

Score
January 29, 2013 9:35:20 PM

I hope this isn't trolling.

Remember the Eidos boxes? They were so cool, even though they were trapazoids and didn't fit on the shelf. My fave was the 1st Tomb Raider with that huge pic of Lara right on the front. Then you'd lift the panal up instead of to the side and see picture of all the groovy adventures that awaited you.

I also loved the Postal box. Putting bullet holes in that thing was one of the great marketing ideas of all time.
Score
January 29, 2013 10:52:36 PM

Gaming sure did change.

The good old days of entering the 16 digit cd code everytime you installed the game....

The hour wait for the game to install....
--Reading the box or manual while the game installs...

Now its waiting for the game to download for half an hour...
... install in less than 10 minutes...
...play...
-- no box... no manual... no info....--
Score
January 30, 2013 1:32:04 AM

I remember grabbing a box and looking at it.. thinking this game is looking like a potential buy!! Then suddenly notice that the front has a little piece of velcro... Open it and BAM.. tons of more information... Turned to a buy for sure...

Remember D2 lol? Read the box and was like DAAAAAMMM 1GB??? lol Open up the box and find 3 disks!!
Score
January 30, 2013 4:03:19 AM

yeah , i couldn't find the BF3 premium edition anywhere but newegg.com
and another bad thing to add to that is my internet is very limited with 4G (20GBlimit) which is most you can buy , so soon as you get the game you have to download it... so some corp can save 20 cents on a few DVD's
Score
January 30, 2013 7:28:12 AM

jesse-2010 said:
yeah , i couldn't find the BF3 premium edition anywhere but newegg.com
and another bad thing to add to that is my internet is very limited with 4G (20GBlimit) which is most you can buy , so soon as you get the game you have to download it... so some corp can save 20 cents on a few DVD's

May I ask where you live? It never occured to me that location can not only take away the retail store option (as it did with me) but also take away the online shopping option. I live in a very isolated part of the U.S. and while it causes problems for MP and online accounts (one of the reasons I gave up on Blizzard) so long as I stick with online retailers who manage a good download/save system I stay in pretty good shape.
Score
January 30, 2013 9:47:06 AM

3 discs? man where were you all the gaming time?
Dontr emmber games like black dhalia? was older than daiblo 2, and had 8 CDS.
8.... but it was a movie game so np. How about BAldurs Gate 1? 5 CDS!.

And lets go even further back: Little big adventure 1 5 1.44MB FLOPPY DISCS! That was EPIC huge :D .
Score
January 30, 2013 12:35:07 PM

cats_Paw said:
3 discs? man where were you all the gaming time?
Dontr emmber games like black dhalia? was older than daiblo 2, and had 8 CDS.
8.... but it was a movie game so np. How about BAldurs Gate 1? 5 CDS!.

And lets go even further back: Little big adventure 1 5 1.44MB FLOPPY DISCS! That was EPIC huge :D .

LOL ya i remember those stack of floppies.. friend came over and told me to check this game out, handed me a few floppies lol.. I was like HOLY *** dude...

Yup, times have definitely changed
Score
January 30, 2013 12:51:52 PM

15 floppies!?!?! Jesus, I think the original Wolfenstein had two and I remember thinking, "This must be a HUGE game!"
Score

Best solution

January 30, 2013 2:04:42 PM

It was 15 unpacked, 5 ziped (or whatever was used back then).

My father brought it and i played my first 3dfx game. I remmber that day even now (21 years later?).

That was the first game where i had to DODGE bullets and enemies (some of the bullets actually followed you so the only way to outrunthem was to choose a path that would increse the bullet travel time long enought to run out of the area :D ).

Unfortunatelly floppy was my first time with PCs, and you know what they say about first times :D .
January 30, 2013 5:25:56 PM

The way of the world today, sorry to say.
look at it this way if you buy a digital copy, you can never scratch the disk rendering it useless can you, and always have a backup in a secure digital locker.

The plus side is for games company`s alike is they spend less money on pressing Dvd disk`s for the games, making the boxes to hold them or the manuals of the games. saving money. That is one of the reasons HMV just went under last week. There profit increases thanks to digital downloading of games.

Let`s face it.
It was coming along time ago, and the result is hitting HMV and alike. Like it or not.

Score
January 30, 2013 5:37:41 PM

weaselman said:
The way of the world today, sorry to say.
look at it this way if you buy a digital copy, you can never scratch the disk rendering it useless can you, and always have a backup in a secure digital locker.

The plus side is for games company`s alike is they spend less money on pressing Dvd disk`s for the games, making the boxes to hold them or the manuals of the games. saving money. That is one of the reasons HMV just went under last week.
Let`s face it it was coming along time ago, and the result is hitting HMV and alike. like it or not.

Would be nice if those savings actually reflected in the retail price when buying digitally..!
Score
January 30, 2013 5:55:17 PM

Yes it would. +1 on that!
Score
February 5, 2013 11:02:55 PM

Best answer selected by kjoz.
Score
!