Cell Phone Companies and Women

Last response: in Network Providers
June 11, 2005 3:58:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

Have you noticed that the pictures of people that cell phone companies
use in their advertizing materials and on their websites are
overwhelmingly female?

At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
male, and the website is pink.

Any thoughts?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:07:13 PM

Johnny Kapikki wrote:

> At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
> female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
> are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
> male, and the website is pink.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes. In the US, the demographic with the most money is (I believe) 25-54
year old women.

They're marketing to the deepest pockets.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:04:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

In news:kjcma1d48rg8sam1f0suraqas6blpqkflp@4ax.com,
Johnny Kapikki <runriot-def0@usa.net> typed:
| Have you noticed that the pictures of people that cell phone companies
| use in their advertizing materials and on their websites are
| overwhelmingly female?
|
| At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
| female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
| are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
| male, and the website is pink.
|
| Any thoughts?

Nothing magic about it - virutally all consumer advertising is aimed at the
same target market....13 year old girls....

If teen age girls didn't use cell phones constantly and rack up huge minute
counts, most carriers would go out of business......:)

PC
June 11, 2005 7:36:05 PM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>Johnny Kapikki wrote:
>> At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
>> female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
>> are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
>> male, and the website is pink.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
>Yes. In the US, the demographic with the most money is (I believe) 25-54
>year old women.
>They're marketing to the deepest pockets.

Not to mention the obvious fact that young, female cutie-pies are
quite successful marketing tools for certain male demographics as
well. Last year, the IRL race at Texas Motor Speedway was fortunate
to get a spot during the local news sports segment. This year, with
"Danica-Mania" running rampant, Danica Patrick has been in the lead
segment of most local news broadcasts at least once, etc. Certainly,
she'll be selling mobile phones sooner or later, if she isn't
already...

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:03:33 PM

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Joseph Huber wrote:

>Steve Sobol wrote:
>>Johnny Kapikki wrote:
>>>At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count
>>>a cartoon female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's
>>>homepage, there are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there
>>>are 3 females and a male, and the website is pink.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?

>>Yes. In the US, the demographic with the most money is (I believe)
>>25-54 year old women. They're marketing to the deepest pockets.

>Not to mention the obvious fact that young, female cutie-pies are
>quite successful marketing tools for certain male demographics as
>well.

Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)

--
Jafo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

NO!! Carl Jr commercials are aimed at the mentality of a 13 year old boy..

> Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)
>
> --
> Jafo
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:23:01 AM

Maybe I just notice girls on the streets, but I see a lot of cell
phones being used by woman and teen girls. In suburbia I see the moms
on their phones a lot as they tool around in their SUV's.

Aren't they the major users of land-lines too?

Cell phone companies know their market even if the phones are in the
husbands or fathers names.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:57:23 AM

Jafo wrote:

> Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)

I just had a Western Six Dollar burger today. The Six Dollar burgers are
made with Angus beef and are quite yummy. You do realize that the burgers
themselves don't cost six bucks, right? :)

(The combos do cost around six bucks, though.)

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:11:44 AM

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Steve Sobol wrote:

>Jafo wrote:
>>Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)

>I just had a Western Six Dollar burger today. The Six Dollar
>burgers are made with Angus beef and are quite yummy. You do
>realize that the burgers themselves don't cost six bucks,
>right? :)

Yes, just as I realize that they aren't actually cooked by Paris
Hilton. :)
www.carlsjr.com

--
Jafo
Anonymous

WHERE'S THE BEEF? Sorry, just had a flashback to 1984. Now back to the
regularly scheduled program.
Just remove my socks to reply by e-mail
www.hackmansworld.com
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:29:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

[Top-posting and missing attribution corrected]

In article <teMqe.9803$tr.2356@fed1read03>,
"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> writes:
> In article <9b2na114ub5abcnriiniq9h005h1ennmdv@4ax.com>
> "Jafo" <a@nospam.invalid> writes:
>>
>> Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)

[broken .sig: snip]

> NO!! Carl Jr commercials are aimed at the mentality of a 13 year old boy..

What's your point?

--
Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will not
jseymour@LinxNet.com | go to avoid the labor of thinking."

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

Carl's Jr commercial are lame and are aimed at a teenage mentality. The
Paris Hilton commercial offended a lot of folks.

"Jim Seymour" <jseymour@LinxNet.com> wrote in message
> [Top-posting and missing attribution corrected]
>
> In article <teMqe.9803$tr.2356@fed1read03>,
> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> writes:
>> In article <9b2na114ub5abcnriiniq9h005h1ennmdv@4ax.com>
>> "Jafo" <a@nospam.invalid> writes:
>>>
>>> Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)
>>>
> [broken .sig: snip]
>>
>> NO!! Carl Jr commercials are aimed at the mentality of a 13 year old
>> boy..
>
> What's your point?
>
> --
> Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will
> not
> jseymour@LinxNet.com | go to avoid the labor of thinking."
> http://jimsun.LinxNet.com | - Thomas A.
> Edison
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:30:41 AM

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Mij Adyaw wrote:

>Carl's Jr commercial are lame and are aimed at a teenage mentality.
>The Paris Hilton commercial offended a lot of folks.

Yes, it did. And apparently it pleased a great many more; it's
featured prominently on the Carl's Jr. homepage. :)

--
Jafo
Anonymous

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Carl's Jr commercial are lame and are aimed at a teenage mentality. The
> Paris Hilton commercial offended a lot of folks.

And y'know what, I JUST saw that commercial for the first time today, I
*knew* it was Paris Hilton, I *knew* it was the controversial ad, and for
the life of me, until I saw the stupid burger, I couldn't remember what the
ad was advertising :)

I guess I've been desensitized to scantily-clad women dancing around fast
cars. My assumption is that I've simply watched too many music videos over
the past twenty years for some racy TV commercial to make any real impact.

**SJ "I WANT MY MTV" S

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:29:26 AM

noah count wrote:
> Maybe I just notice girls on the streets, but I see a lot of cell
> phones being used by woman and teen girls. In suburbia I see the moms
> on their phones a lot as they tool around in their SUV's.
>
> Aren't they the major users of land-lines too?
>
> Cell phone companies know their market even if the phones are in the
> husbands or fathers names.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't come out as sexist, but my anecdotal
evidence is that women tend to use their phones a lot more then men do,
at least in terms of minutes of use.

An example: between my cell phone and VoIP line, I put in about 600-700
minutes of use a month. A small fraction of this is business related,
but since most of the work-related calls I do are in my office on the
landline there, the difference is negligible.

My significant other, on the other hand, regularly logs close to 2,100
minutes every month, just on her cell phone (no VoIP, so I have no clue
what the landline usage is). Thankfully, she does make sure that most
of that is either mobile-to-mobile, or off-peak. :)  Incidentally, she
is (bless her heart) the very reason I got unlimited text messaging;
last month, I exchanged 385 (!) text messages with her, and about one or
two to other friends and acquaintances.

Recently, a conversation with my father revealed that he was griping
about the family cell phone usage. He's with Sprint too, and is on the
2,000 minute plan of which my mother uses the lions' share. My father
uses roughly 2,000 minutes a month in combined peak, offpeak and pcs2pcs
(both business and personal conversations). My mother? 3,700 (!)
minutes last month, and that was actually a slow month for her, after my
father implored her to try to cut down a bit. Fortunately, the use of 7
p.m. off peak add-ons and the fact that most of the family is on Sprint
saves them from going into overage territory every month. But can you
imagine spending 3,700 minutes - roughly 2.5 DAYS - on the phone every
month?

At any rate, the usage is so high that my sister, who is in college,
couldn't share on their plan and thus is on a separate account. I
imagine the usage is high there, too.

I have plenty of other examples of this. And I would imagine that
someone, somewhere has done a more scientific survey of this and found
that women DO gab more on the phone than men, resulting in wireless
companies working to market more to this demographic. Any way you slice
it, more minutes of use means that you pay more (either in a higher
priced plan, or WAY more in overages), so naturally it stands to reason
that women are greater revenue generators to men in this case.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 13, 2005 2:44:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

[Speaking of "lame": Top-posting corrected. Again.]

In article <n22re.9863$tr.4312@fed1read03>,
"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> writes:
> "Jim Seymour" <jseymour@LinxNet.com> wrote in message
>> [Top-posting and missing attribution corrected]
>>
>> In article <teMqe.9803$tr.2356@fed1read03>,
>> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> writes:

>> [broken .sig: snip]
>>>
>>> NO!! Carl Jr commercials are aimed at the mentality of a 13 year old
>>> boy..
>>
>> What's your point?
>
> Carl's Jr commercial are lame and are aimed at a teenage mentality.

If they're at all like the "Six dollar burger" commercial with Paris
Hilton, perhaps their subtlety escapes you?

> The
> Paris Hilton commercial offended a lot of folks.

Those folk need to get a life.

No, raising hell about every perceived slight, in some media or
another, to ones "morality" does not constitute "having a life."
Certainly watching television and movies specifically for the purpose
of spotting things about which to complain does not constitute
"having a life." In the past, such people were called "busybodies."
It was not a complementary term. They're still busybodies.

--
Jim Seymour | "There is no expedient to which a man will not
jseymour@LinxNet.com | go to avoid the labor of thinking."
http://jimsun.LinxNet.com | - Thomas A. Edison
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:18:04 PM

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:
> I sincerely hope that this doesn't come out as sexist, but my
> anecdotal evidence is that women tend to use their phones
> a lot more then men do, at least in terms of minutes of use.
>
> I have plenty of other examples of this. And I would imagine that
> someone, somewhere has done a more scientific survey of this and found
> that women DO gab more on the phone than men,
[snip]

You don't have to do a scientific survey to deduce the obvious. :)

(Well, some politically-correct leftists probably do, but the rest of us
generally accept reality as it is given to us.)

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:19:36 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> Carl's Jr commercial are lame and are aimed at a teenage mentality. The
>> Paris Hilton commercial offended a lot of folks.
>
> And y'know what, I JUST saw that commercial for the first time today, I
> *knew* it was Paris Hilton, I *knew* it was the controversial ad, and for
> the life of me, until I saw the stupid burger, I couldn't remember what the
> ad was advertising :)
>
> I guess I've been desensitized to scantily-clad women dancing around fast
> cars. My assumption is that I've simply watched too many music videos over
> the past twenty years for some racy TV commercial to make any real impact.

I agree. Watching that commercial did not inspire me to go out and
buy a Carl's Jr burger. Not sure what they are getting out of it except
some publicity.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:29:26 -0400, Isaiah Beard
>I sincerely hope that this doesn't come out as sexist, but my anecdotal
>evidence is that women tend to use their phones a lot more then men do,
>at least in terms of minutes of use.
[...]

Nothing sexist about stating valid observations. There are any number
of studies out there indicating that in general, women use about twice
as many words per day as men do. It would also seem that women get
rather cranky if they don't get to use up all those words every day,
and that men get rather cranky if they have to listen to women using
up those extra words. One of the many subtle little differences
between the sexes that makes relationships so interesting...

Joe Huber
huber.joseph@comcast.net
June 14, 2005 9:04:24 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:58:52 -0700, Johnny Kapikki <runriot-def0@usa.net> wrote:

>Have you noticed that the pictures of people that cell phone companies
>use in their advertizing materials and on their websites are
>overwhelmingly female?
>
>At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
>female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
>are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
>male, and the website is pink.
>
>Any thoughts?

I noticed the same trend at hotbikerchicks.com. All female. What`s up with
THAT!!!!

June 20, 2005 10:39:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in news:D 8ffrb$1qs$1
@ratbert.glorb.com:

> Johnny Kapikki wrote:
>
>> At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
>> female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
>> are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
>> male, and the website is pink.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Yes. In the US, the demographic with the most money is (I believe) 25-54
> year old women.
>
> They're marketing to the deepest pockets.

Hogwash.
25-54 woman do not have the deepest pockets, where did you get that
ridiculous statistic ?
It is a simply marketing ploy to please both sexes.
Guys like to see babes, phone or not - And females will be pleased that
sprint is giving modeling jobs to woman and not men.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:35:44 PM

Jesse <1@2.com> wrote in news:Xns967B9532010BCewrfdgrstnet@140.99.99.130:

> not men.

Or men standing in 95F heat wearing a company jacket saying, "Can you hear
me now?", out in the hot sun?

I think he's a heroin addict and wears the jacket so we don't see the
tracks on his arms...(c; Look at his spaced-out look and that silly
smile...he's gotta be on something!

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:09:01 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:35:44 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:
>Or men standing in 95F heat wearing a company jacket saying, "Can you hear
>me now?", out in the hot sun?
>I think he's a heroin addict and wears the jacket so we don't see the
>tracks on his arms...(c; Look at his spaced-out look and that silly
>smile...he's gotta be on something!

It's just the result of cellular RF radiation on his brain!
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:42:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

Bob Scheurle <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in
news:p 7mfb15p3ifm1km55kq2c1seatqjackjud@4ax.com:

> It's just the result of cellular RF radiation on his brain!

No, that's why he has to wear glasses....but wait.....

My father used to tell me something ELSE caused you to go blind....???

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:06:42 PM

Jesse wrote:

> Hogwash.
> 25-54 woman do not have the deepest pockets, where did you get that
> ridiculous statistic ?

Sorry about the delay in replying to this. "deepest pockets" probably isn't
the right phrase.

"largest demographic" is probably more accurate.

I'm looking for some stats that won't require you to pay to see them. Best
bet is probably the US Census website, but I'm still looking at that site
trying to find the appropriate numbers (there are a ton).

> It is a simply marketing ploy to please both sexes.

To a certain extent, sure. I don't think that's the only reason, though.

> Guys like to see babes, phone or not - And females will be pleased that
> sprint is giving modeling jobs to woman and not men.

Really? I've never seen any evidence that giving modelling jobs to women
makes a difference.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:45:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

Any thoughts? Yes, you need to get a life.

"Johnny Kapikki" <runriot-def0@usa.net> wrote in message
> Have you noticed that the pictures of people that cell phone companies
> use in their advertizing materials and on their websites are
> overwhelmingly female?
>
> At this moment, there are six females (seven, if you count a cartoon
> female) on the SPCS homepage. On Verizon Wireless's homepage, there
> are 3 males and 5 females. On T-Mobil's, there are 3 females and a
> male, and the website is pink.
>
> Any thoughts?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:36:40 AM

news:D 9ctuj$fpe$1@ratbert.glorb.com:

> Jesse wrote:
>
>> Hogwash.
>> 25-54 woman do not have the deepest pockets, where did you get that
>> ridiculous statistic ?
>
> Sorry about the delay in replying to this. "deepest pockets" probably
> isn't the right phrase.
>
> "largest demographic" is probably more accurate.
>
> I'm looking for some stats that won't require you to pay to see them.
> Best bet is probably the US Census website, but I'm still looking at
> that site trying to find the appropriate numbers (there are a ton).
>
>> It is a simply marketing ploy to please both sexes.
>
> To a certain extent, sure. I don't think that's the only reason, though.
>
>> Guys like to see babes, phone or not - And females will be pleased that
>> sprint is giving modeling jobs to woman and not men.
>
> Really? I've never seen any evidence that giving modelling jobs to women
> makes a difference.

Well basically sure, whos going to go run out and sign a contract because
they liked the model in an ad holding a phone ?
How many run out for a case of Bud Light after seeing yet another corny
commercial ?
I doubt if I've ever been influenced to purchase anything even partly from
seeing an advertisemet.
People know these services/items are there, and will get them when so
inclined - Usually after research of options of various competitors.
Commercials/ads are probably more subliminal than anything, and just a
matter of keeping the companies name fresh in peoples minds.

Nonetheless, if they used fat, slovenly looking crack addicted toothless
biker chicks with tattoos in their advertising it might well have a
negative impact on their business, so they will continue to use fresh
looking babes.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:36:41 AM

Jesse wrote:

> Nonetheless, if they used fat, slovenly looking crack addicted toothless
> biker chicks with tattoos in their advertising it might well have a
> negative impact on their business, so they will continue to use fresh
> looking babes.

Duh. :)

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:40:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in news:D 9g6vk$56c$1
@ratbert.glorb.com:

> Jesse wrote:
>
>> Nonetheless, if they used fat, slovenly looking crack addicted toothless
>> biker chicks with tattoos in their advertising it might well have a
>> negative impact on their business, so they will continue to use fresh
>> looking babes.
>
> Duh. :)

Hey I didn't major in advertising for nothing you know.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:54:29 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:40:36 GMT, Jesse <org@org.orgy> wrote:
>Hey I didn't major in advertising for nothing you know.
Guys like to see a good set of tits and a nice ass! Whatever they are
buying!

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:21:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:57:23 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> chose
to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Jafo wrote:
>
>> Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)
>
>I just had a Western Six Dollar burger today. The Six Dollar burgers are
>made with Angus beef and are quite yummy. You do realize that the burgers
>themselves don't cost six bucks, right? :)
>
>(The combos do cost around six bucks, though.)

AFAIK, there are no Carl's Jr.s around here. There is, however, Red Robin,
and their burgers do cost six bucks or more. As I recall from my one and
only visit, the prices ran about 5.50 to 8.50 (the 8.50 might have been for
the fish or something). Unfortunately, the menu on the web site
(redrobin.com) doesn't show prices.

I will say I think they are expanding too fast -- I know of two within five
miles of each other and another going up within ten miles. This will be
made worse when their customer base starts dying from hardened arteries
from the Royal burger -- it's a bacon cheeseburger with a fried egg on
top. (Yes, I had it, just for the experience. I didn't finish my entire
meal, though.)

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I would never watch my show. I'm not interested in it." - Jerry Springer
July 6, 2005 9:21:54 PM

David S wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:57:23 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
> everything:
>
>> Jafo wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone want a "six dollar" burger from Carl's Jr.? :)
>>
>> I just had a Western Six Dollar burger today. The Six Dollar burgers
>> are made with Angus beef and are quite yummy. You do realize that
>> the burgers themselves don't cost six bucks, right? :)
>>
>> (The combos do cost around six bucks, though.)
>
> AFAIK, there are no Carl's Jr.s around here.

Try Hardees's. Same thing (almost).

> There is, however, Red
> Robin,

A glorified hamburger joint that fooled this unsuspecting patron into
thinking there was more to the menu. From the outside it looks like your
typical Chili's, Applebee's, etc. (including a bar). But once inside
you'll find... well, almost nothing but hamburgers--a zillion kinds. I
have one within 5 minutes of me and will never be back. Yea it says
something about "famous hamburgers" on the sign, but I really didn't
expect to find *only* hamburgers (with a few other odds and ends, but
mostly just burgers). What a waste of real estate, IMO.

Back on topic: I did end up with a pretty waitress and the cellphone
reception was fine.

--
Mike
Anonymous

Tinman wrote:

>>AFAIK, there are no Carl's Jr.s around here.
>
> Try Hardees's. Same thing (almost).

Many Hardee's are using the Carl's logo, and the Carl's restaurants' kids
menus advertise the Hardee's and Carl's kids websites. I assume Carl bought
Hardees at some time in the past (probably the recent past).

>>There is, however, Red
>>Robin,
>
> A glorified hamburger joint that fooled this unsuspecting patron into
> thinking there was more to the menu.

Fooled? Red Robin makes no bones about the fact that gourmet hamburgers are
their bread and butter (to coin a phrase :>). If you felt misled, you
weren't paying attention. I*M*O.

They're expensive, but the burgers they server are worth it (also IMO).

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:16:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <dah9l6$lt7$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

> Red Robin makes no bones about the fact that gourmet hamburgers are
> their bread and butter (to coin a phrase :>).

Ate there once; neither of us liked it.

Great burgers at Fat Burger or In N' Out Burger

Best burgers are in my kitchen, but you can't have any. ;)

July 10, 2005 9:22:55 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>>>AFAIK, there are no Carl's Jr.s around here.
>>
>> Try Hardees's. Same thing (almost).

No Carl's Jr. or Hardee's around this area. Used to be; I liked them.

> Fooled? Red Robin makes no bones about the fact that gourmet hamburgers are
> their bread and butter (to coin a phrase :>). If you felt misled, you
> weren't paying attention. I*M*O.
>
> They're expensive, but the burgers they server are worth it (also IMO).

My nephew came home one day telling of their glory, having heard about
them from some race car driver he knows. One opened close by, I had the
wife pick a burger up for takeout and it was just an average lump of
ground beef with stuff. Maybe I'll try eating in next time; nothing I
love more than a really good burger. (Food-wise, anyway.)