Sign in with
Your question

Need help from a Prime95 Master...

Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2004 7:39:45 PM

What is the best way to tell why Prime95 is crashing... Different optios on the program test different things... I have been struggling to get above 210fsb with a mobile 2600+ (cooled with SLK900A and 80mm smartfan) using Corsdair XMS PC3200 ram on an ABIT NF7-S...

Running at 12x210 I played 3D games all weekend with no crashes and a max load temp of around 54c (my rpm is set to 3300 or so). 3DMark03 runs forever, too.

Vcore reads 1.808
VDimm reads 2.82

[I have tried Vcore and VDimm higher, and that did nothing... and I have been lowering my multiplier a bit to test my max fsb...]

But Prime95 crashes in under one hopur, and sometime between 1 and 5 minutes...

Ram setting are at 3449... but I have tried other settings too...

Last night I tried increasing chipset voltage by .1 but that did not help...

And I would be happy with 215... but is pisses me off to be stuck at 210 and still not be Prime95 stable...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

More about : prime95 master

March 31, 2004 9:22:47 PM

Firstly, I am not a P95 expert. From your post it seems that you are try to determine whether it is ram or cpu that is holding you back.

Wouldn't memtest86 help determine that? When OCing, I've operated under the assumption that if it passes memtest, ram ain't a problem (and therefore attributed failures in P95 to cpu). Am I wrong? Is memtest not suitable for this purpose?

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE
April 1, 2004 2:21:02 AM

Sometimes it takes me like ten people to tell me the same thing before I do it... and sometimes it just takes one person... in this case you are the tenth...

I am running Memtest86 at the moment... I think I just did not want to believe threre was a memory issue... I have a matched pair of Corsair XMS PC3200 ram...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... one thing I have not tried is not running this ram in dual channel...

Related resources
April 1, 2004 3:42:37 AM

I ran it for an hour each at both 210 and 215 and made it through three passes with no errors... completing the first seven tests three times on each setting...

I have read about people running this for days to test errors, and I might let it run for a day sometime, too, but my first impression is good here...

April 1, 2004 5:03:41 PM

I don't have the patience to run it for a day. Maybe overnight while I slept

I haven't yet got my Barton to 200 FSB, so I don't worry too much about my ram being the culprit. But I still run it for a few passes. It's helpful, one time I forgot I left ram timings at 2-2-2-5 and was trying to OC. Well, memtest pointed out that blunder pretty quick. :0

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE
April 2, 2004 4:59:56 AM

1. memtest your ram at those settings u use overnight even a single error is bad.
2. improve northbridge cooling, maybe reseat heatsink to be sure
3. leave side off case when priming.
4. try different prime torturetest and see if it still crashes.

Ive got my XP-M 2500+ @ 167x14=2333 @ 1.65v at the moment. pretty good so far.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil: 
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
!